Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When is it cold enough to put the heating on?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Still shorts weather. Will not put the heating on before October.
Every day, 365 days a year, is shorts weather.
I think the kids would grizzle if I subjected them to no heating.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
We've had the great central heating debate at work (yes) cause we've dropped into single digit degrees recently and I know when I was growing up it didn't go on until it was pretty much snowing outside. I'm not really a cold person so it didn't bother me too much, and my family are one for having every window open all day and night. I just used to put on an extra jumper etc.

However, some people are saying they've had it on already.

What are your heating habits?

on for the 1st time 2 days ago in our house

Don't you people have thermostats?
There's nothing to beat the warmth generated by a central heating system run off a solid fuel fired Rayburn. This thread has reminded me that it's time to order some fuel and wait a couple of weeks for a delivery.

The only downside is that our system isn't quite as responsive as a thermostat. Best I go dig out a nice warm sweater this evening. Clear skies in BN8 can only mean it's going to be a tad chilly.

D

Deleted member 18477

Don't you people have thermostats? The heating stays on all year but it only kicks in when the temperature reaches a certain level.

Yes but haven't switched it from manual to auto yet as I don't want it on before the clocks change if I can help it.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Even though I suffer from Raynaud's, and although my rent is all-inclusive of bills, I try to go as long as possible without putting the heating on. If I get chilly, an extra blanket or layer of clothing helps. When that becomes impractical, then I'll turn it on.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Holding out as long as I can this year. Living by myself so any large heating bill hurts me in the pocket big time. Going to see how close to christmas I can get by making good use of jumpers and tracky bottoms in the house.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
been thinking about this very topic... now self employed and at home a lot..took myself off to a local supermarket and purchased slipper boots! although I feel like a granny - v practical and warm and room for many sock layers! ( socks purchased too). got an extra halogen heater a coupla weeks ago too.. great for taking the chill off a room. duvet in lounge is rather lovely. maybe nsc could have 'house warmer' visits - those who are basking could take pity on us poor people and invite over for a group hug !!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
been thinking about this very topic... now self employed and at home a lot..took myself off to a local supermarket and purchased slipper boots! although I feel like a granny - v practical and warm and room for many sock layers! ( socks purchased too). got an extra halogen heater a coupla weeks ago too.. great for taking the chill off a room. duvet in lounge is rather lovely. maybe nsc could have 'house warmer' visits - those who are basking could take pity on us poor people and invite over for a group hug !!

Doesnt the glare from them put you off turning them on, they did me so that is another useless purchase stuck in a cupboard along with the halogen oven.

Last edited:

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
How cold is cold though? From the varying responses it's obviously very subjective.

Fat Langers

Dec 27, 2007
I don't let my wife turn the heating on until at least October. I might even try for November this year. Energy companies make enough out of me, and at the moment it's nothing a jumper can't fix to keep you warm!

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
I've put it on for a few hours from 5 til 8 in the morning. As I am out the door before 8 if im in Brighton office or 7 for London I am not wasting.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I don't let my wife turn the heating on until at least October. I might even try for November this year. Energy companies make enough out of me, and at the moment it's nothing a jumper can't fix to keep you warm!
My missus can turn the heating on if shes cold I couldn't really care less far more important things in life to worry about.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
When you're cold indoors with a jumper on. Thankfully the shop below me whack their's on and I've not turned my heating on other than to check it works or for 10-15 mins first thing in the morning when it's snowed for about 5 years

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You will be opening windows rather than putting heating on this weekend, some real warmth returning perhaps until the middle of next week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here