Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When is it cold enough to put the heating on?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
My office is 26oC+ all year round and it upsets me greatly... what I dont understand is some of my female colleagues moan that it's too hot in tue summer and that it's too cold in the winter, when the temperature is the same.

Btw in Tunisia at the moment and the thought of having to put the central heating on when I get home scares me!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Our heating just came on (2nd day in a row) with the room thermostat set at about 16C. I have just put it on a lower temperature, because it is far too early.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Doesn't matter what the date is - if it's cold enough I'll put my heating on. Started putting it on in the evening last week.

Sums it up for me. As long as you've got good insulation, a room thermostat and individual radiator thermostats, a good timer, and don't expect to wear shorts throughout the winter, I don't see the problem with putting the heating on already at a sensible level. That's what it's for!

*BUT* you do need to air the house as well - putting the heating on to prevent damp, doesn't work without ventilation. It simply increases the amount of moisture in the air.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't look to Ray Mears for manly guidance.

When asked this question recently he said his has been on already:-

"because any idiot can be cold".

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
My office is 26oC+ all year round and it upsets me greatly... what I dont understand is some of my female colleagues moan that it's too hot in tue summer and that it's too cold in the winter, when the temperature is the same.

Easy Peasy--tell em to take some clothes off in the summer:cool: and give em a cuddle in the winter to warm em up:blush:

Then start looking for a good lawyer.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Don't look to Ray Mears for manly guidance.

When asked this question recently he said his has been on already:-

"because any idiot can be cold".

Sounds reasonable to me. I gave up any pretence of macho-manlyness years ago. I want to be comfortable - i earnt my money to give me t things I want, and not being cold is one f them.

I do seem to notice being cold more, though, I don't know if that's. an age thing or a health thing.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I came back from a steaming break in Andalucia 10 days ago, and the change from 35 to a chilly 16 had me turn on the heating for a spell as soon as i came in the door. It's been on for the odd 20 minute session here and there since. The girlfriend, a spaniard, would have the heater burning for every minute she's home if she had her way. Luckily, her minuteness leaves the dial to change it a little too high up for her to reach and i remain in charge of it all.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
It's not a machismo thing for me - I'm just comfortable at much lower temperatures than most of my mates. But the thermostat battle is all one sided - if I'm feeling a bit chilly in the house, I can put extra layers on and not bother or affect anybody else. But if the entire house is too warm, I just have to sit there and suffer.

Edit: I should have thought of that too, Meadey. My own g/f is also a small Spaniard - I should have stuck the thermostat on the bloody ceiling. I suspect, though, that she'd bring down the floor above to get to thermostat rather than put up with being cold.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
When the clocks go back is the usual aim, if beforehand it is too cold it comes on, if like a couple of years back it remained mild into November it stays off. Haven't turned it on yet, still wearing shorts and tee shirt around the house.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Sums it up for me. As long as you've got good insulation, a room thermostat and individual radiator thermostats, a good timer, and don't expect to wear shorts throughout the winter, I don't see the problem with putting the heating on already at a sensible level. That's what it's for!

*BUT* you do need to air the house as well - putting the heating on to prevent damp, doesn't work without ventilation. It simply increases the amount of moisture in the air.

No problem with that - I've got draughty old single glazing.

D

Deleted member 18477

Try and wait till clocks change at the end of October... But If it gets cold in October then i'll turn it on.

Never before the 1st October though! Heating should not be used between the start of April and end of September ever!!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Don't you people have thermostats? The heating stays on all year but it only kicks in when the temperature reaches a certain level.

Ravids

Jun 19, 2013
Fishersgate Maritime Village
Not yet, that is for sure, this Sunday is looking glorious, we will be given one last taste of summer before winter takes over.

I never have mine on in my room, I LOVE sleeping in the freezing cold, makes me sleep easier.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I ought to shut the back door and close the windows, before turning the heating on.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Don't you people have thermostats? The heating stays on all year but it only kicks in when the temperature reaches a certain level.

The thermostat is in the hall, open the door a few times and the heating kicks in. We have thermostatic controls on all radiators, but it still seems ridiculous to have the heating on when I am walking around in a T-Shirt.

The slippers and winter duvet have put in an appearance though.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
We had to have the heating on yesterday to dry some washing (as we don't have a tumble drier). I turned it off pretty quick though as I don't like central heating (although I admit it's necessary in the middle of winter) - the wife and kids would have it on September-May though I think :D

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
have people been stripping out their central heating or you all live with storage heaters?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here