Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When filling your kettle, which tap do you fill it from & does it make a difference?

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Should always be the cold tap to fill your kettle up. Likewise should always use the cold tap for any other form of drinking water and to wash your veg under.

Hot tap should only ever be used for washing.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Presumably boiling the water gets rid of any nasties in the hot water?

I always fill from the cold tap though. Some piece of wisdom involving pigeons shitting in the loft has stuck in my head from somewhere.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Cheers everybody for your input, thought i was right, hasnt settled the argument though.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
It depends on what sort of central heating system you have. If you have a header tank then this could, in extreme circumstances, harbour such nasties as Legionella, so it is unwise to use the hot tap in this case, even if the water is boiled.

Legoinella can only be contracted from inhaling infected water vapour , it cannot be caught from drinking infected water

Lush

Mods' Pet
Legoinella can only be contracted from inhaling infected water vapour , it cannot be caught from drinking infected water

You don't want to catch that. Can be nasty.

AAAADBqcLjwAAAAAATFWIg.jpg

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If you have a combi boiler, or a direct water system, than all cold taps are fed directly from the rising main, and are potable.

If you have a combi boiuler, then your hot water is fed directly from the rising main... through the boiler. i.e. it hasn't been sat in a tank somewhere, and is as potable as the cold supply.

If you have an indirect water system, (hot water cylinder and cold water tank in the loft), then you should only drink from the kitchen tap, as that is the only garunteed potable water in the house.

Spillchocker anyone?

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Help settle an ongoing argument between me & Mrs Tmatter over which is better to fill kettle from.
I always fill from the cold tap, she fills from the hot tap.

Hot tap must make it taste shit for tea. Hot water has less oxygen in it and then boiling removes even more. Makes the tea taste like a defeat to Palace.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Everyone knows that if a rat gets into your loft it is likely to piss in the water tank which feeds the hot water cylinder. Therefore, by implication you could contract Weils Disease and die from flu like symptoms by filling the kettle using the hot tap. Whoever suggested this is a dirty bastard.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Everyone knows that if a rat gets into your loft it is likely to piss in the water tank which feeds the hot water cylinder. Therefore, by implication you could contract Weils Disease and die from flu like symptoms by filling the kettle using the hot tap. Whoever suggested this is a dirty bastard.

If you have a water tank ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here