Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When filling your kettle, which tap do you fill it from & does it make a difference?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
An argument for using the hot tap is that it saves elec or gas not starting from cold and by boiling the water you are killing off any impurities but I always use the cold tap.

I know its called a "boiler" but not at all sure the water gets anywhere near boiling point in the boiler, when it only comes out of the tap at c40 degrees C? Therefore very much doubt all nasties are killed.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Thanks everybody, just as i've been telling her (for years).
The pressure is not as strong out of cold tap as from hot tap but i keep telling her, whats an extra second or two compared with clean or dirty water. I shall get her to read this thread when she's home later.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Thanks everybody, just as i've been telling her (for years).
The pressure is not as strong out of cold tap as from hot tap but i keep telling her, whats an extra second or two compared with clean or dirty water. I shall get her to read this thread when she's home later.

That's weird as well as pressure from cold tap (mains pressurised) is normally much higher than hot!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do know that a lot of energy is wasted in a kettle because people usually boil too much water at a time.

My mother when she was alive would never use water that had been boiled once in the kettle if I had filled it she would throw it away but when she filled the kettle she measured the amount of water that she wanted with the cups that she was going to use so she heated exactly the amount of water she wanted

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Cold tap and only the amount of water I'm going to use that time. Reboiling already boiled water ruins my cuppa tea.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
My mother when she was alive would never use water that had been boiled once in the kettle if I had filled it she would throw it away but when she filled the kettle she measured the amount of water that she wanted with the cups that she was going to use so she heated exactly the amount of water she wanted

Clever girl that one.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I know its called a "boiler" but not at all sure the water gets anywhere near boiling point in the boiler, when it only comes out of the tap at c40 degrees C? Therefore very much doubt all nasties are killed.

The kettle boils the water? I'm a cold tap person too as it comes fresh from the mains.

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
I'm sure that the hot water tap is not drinking water, I always use cold for kettle/drinking etc.

Filling from the cold tap is cheaper... The hot water has to travel through the pipes only for a small amount to actually be used... This water then cools in the pipes... Then the cost to heating the hot water used...

Just the cold tap :thumbsup:
Wise advice for the summer, but during the heating season, that hot water drawn into the pipework should reduce slightly the amount of heat required from your system. However, a cheaper way would be to boil a stove kettle on a gas ring.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I fill mine from a cup, which I fill from the cold tap.

Only boil the amount you actually need. :thumbsup:

Drives me nuts when visitors fill the whole kettle for one cup of tea. :rant:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Probably is - I have no idea! Was the only thing I could think of! What if you have gas central heating? Is gas cheaper than electricity?

I do know that a lot of energy is wasted in a kettle because people usually boil too much water at a time. Maybe better to heat the water in the cup in a microwave rather.

As for the germs bit that others are talking about, the boiling would get rid of them, surely?

I was wondering the other day, I've never tried it but does water in a mcrowave get to 100 deg ?

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
I generally just piss into the kettle when I am making a cuppa for your wife.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Yeah once a kettle has boiled and been left to cool down, you can't reboil that same water, tip out and start again. But as mentioned, try and get it as accurate as possible so you don't boil too much.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Yeah once a kettle has boiled and been left to cool down, you can't reboil that same water, tip out and start again. But as mentioned, try and get it as accurate as possible so you don't boil too much.

I definitely empty the kettle before I add water to use it

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I was wondering the other day, I've never tried it but does water in a mcrowave get to 100 deg ?

Found this on google which suggest that they do:

Health Canada suggests that microwave ovens can be used to boil water using microwave-safe containers but cautions against forming superheated water. Superheatedwater is heated above the boiling point without the formation of steam and can result in burns to the hands and face. When using microwaves, Health Canada suggests inserting a glass rod, wooden or plastic spoon in the container to prevent forming superheated water.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here