Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

when el abd goes down

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How is it cheating exactly?
If someone hits you or catches you you go down. It is then up to the ref to decide.
I have never seen El Abd go down when he hasn't been hit or caught.

True, the foul has happened,and what El-Abd is doing is making sure the officials see that it happened. As someone else pointed out, our game against Bournemouth last season had Ankergren kicked in the face resulting in a broken nose and Tommy elbowed hard across the cheek bone and no bookings. The opposition are cheating by kicking and elbowing so they cannot complain if the recipient makes sure the referee sees what has happened.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
It never ceases to amaze me people are so blinkered when its our player. There is much to be admired about El Abd's game and he was awesome last season. However, the OTT play acting is a part of his game that we don't want to see and looks all the more absurd because he is built like a brick shite house.

And let's not forget Withdean incident when he roundly told everyone in the South Stand to f*** off and had to be pulled off the pitch as he lost it totally. He will always have my support but maybe not my total respect.....................unless of course he scores a 90th minute winner at Palace :)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
El Abd is a legend. Albion to the core. The club and squad would be weaker without his kind.

The 'cheating' is unfortunately now carried out by most PL players for example.
Recently I saw Milner do it of all people, not to mention the Nani's of this world who've made a living of it.
El Abd has joined this club of 2,500 professionals who now cheat to gain any advantage.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It never ceases to amaze me people are so blinkered when its our player. There is much to be admired about El Abd's game and he was awesome last season. However, the OTT play acting is a part of his game that we don't want to see and looks all the more absurd because he is built like a brick shite house.

And let's not forget Withdean incident when he roundly told everyone in the South Stand to f*** off and had to be pulled off the pitch as he lost it totally. He will always have my support but maybe not my total respect.....................unless of course he scores a 90th minute winner at Palace :)

Good points well put.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
El Abd is a legend. Albion to the core. The club and squad would be weaker without his kind.

The 'cheating' is unfortunately now carried out by most PL players for example.
Recently I saw Milner do it of all people, not to mention the Nani's of this world who've made a living of it.
El Abd has joined this club of 2,500 professionals who now cheat to gain any advantage.

But why is it cheating if contact is made? I don't like it but there is no rule against going down, nomatter how theatrically, when a players hands go up, nomatter how feeble the contact.

I say again, it virtually won us the Saints game. Would you be happy if El-Abd hadn't made a fuss, the ref missed it and Saints won as a consequence of not losing their talisman for a red card offence?

I definately would not.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
there is no rule against going down, nomatter how theatrically, when a players hands go up, nomatter how feeble the contact.

There is a rule. A very explicite rule as well. Have you not heard of "simulation?"

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But why is it cheating if contact is made?.

Simulation is committed if the player either feigns or exaggerates a foul. Technically a player can be fouled and be booked for diving.

Also, can I mention that contact is not neccessarily a foul. You've been listening to Sky too much.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
But why is it cheating if contact is made? I don't like it but there is no rule against going down, nomatter how theatrically, when a players hands go up, nomatter how feeble the contact.

I say again, it virtually won us the Saints game. Would you be happy if El-Abd hadn't made a fuss, the ref missed it and Saints won as a consequence of not losing their talisman for a red card offence?

I definately would not.

I GUARANTEE you would be up in f***ing arms if a similar incident went against US FFS!!!!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
[TEMPLATE][/TEMPLATE]As a kid watching English football from the late sixties onwards I could count on one hand the incidents where players threw themselves to the ground feigning a blow to the face and 4 of those involved Emlyn Hughes I think. I remember hard man Mark Hughes do it as well and I dislike him because of that even to this day.
It makes me cringe and I don`t care whether it influences the ref or not because it cheapens everything for me and I might be old school, living in dreamland or whatever else but to me it is awful and I have no respect for ANY player who does it.
Imagine what the old school of manager would have thought of all this play acting ?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
[TEMPLATE][/TEMPLATE]As a kid watching English football from the late sixties onwards I could count on one hand the incidents where players threw themselves to the ground feigning a blow to the face and 4 of those involved Emlyn Hughes I think. I remember hard man Mark Hughes do it as well and I dislike him because of that even to this day.
It makes me cringe and I don`t care whether it influences the ref or not because it cheapens everything for me and I might be old school, living in dreamland or whatever else but to me it is awful and I have no respect for ANY player who does it.
Imagine what the old school of manager would have thought of all this play acting ?

For what its worth, I agree but the game has changed a lot since the sixties. Not all for the better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here