Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

when el abd goes down

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The words of a loser. I'd prefer to beat my opponents by being fair and technically superior.
Who wouldn't.
I'm not saying it's right, but if you think El Abd wasn't chuffed to bits that his game plan had worked, Lambert off, and an Albion win, I've got some magic beans for sale.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But do we gain an advantage? Later in the game the ref might just remember the play-acting and lean towards the opposition on a crucial decision.
Or the ref might see it for what it is, and send El Abd off.
That's the chance he takes, by being a full on head banger, who goes down like an Italian cruise liner.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Who wouldn't.

Me for one. It's not my style. I prefer to succeed on my own abilities. And if I don't I dust myself down, have a think and come back a bit stronger. I don't like weasels.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Me for one. It's not my style. I prefer to succeed on my own abilities. And if I don't I dust myself down, have a think and come back a bit stronger. I don't like weasels.
Nah the 'who wouldn't' was me in agreement with you.
But the facts are difficult to argue against:-

Make their best players life a misery.
Fain every touch you get.
Kick lumps out of him when you can.
Laugh as best player finally loses it, and gets sent off.
Go on to win, 3-0.

That's football.
The moral high ground doesn't win games, it should but it doesn't.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Herr Tubthumper does have a point. There is a price to be paid for our present success. It is sometimes uncomfortable watching your assistant manager or your stand-in captain aiming sly kicks at young players. It's easy to turn a blind eye while we are doing ok or say to ourselves "everybody is doing it these days" but it definately leaves me uneasy occasionally.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
lol how many men suffer from man FLU making a meal out of it. if contact has been made its been made the reaction does not matter, now a player cheating and falling down for a penalty etc. is another matter.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nah the 'who wouldn't' was me in agreement with you.
But the facts are difficult to argue against:-

Make their best players life a misery.
Fain every touch you get.
Kick lumps out of him when you can.
Laugh as best player finally loses it, and gets sent off.
Go on to win, 3-0.

That's football.
The moral high ground doesn't win games, it should but it doesn't.

But it also works against him. I recall a game against Wednesday when Mellor shoved El Abd to the ground. An act which would ordinarily been a red had it not been for El Abds antics in the preceding few minutes. The boy who cried wolf.

I don't agree with it and there is no evidence to suggest it works generally.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
But it also works against him. I recall a game against Wednesday when Mellor shoved El Abd to the ground. An act which would ordinarily been a red had it not been for El Abds antics in the preceding few minutes. The boy who cried wolf.

I must admit that laughed for about 5 minutes when that happened. Mind you, AEA's lil' routine is so worn these days - I'm surprised Equity hasn't lodged an official complaint.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I know hence post 22.
We are both on the same side, you don't like it full stop.
I don't like it, but feel it's a depressing part of the game.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
But all the time we gain an advantage, El Abd isn't going to change, and why should he.

Would Lambert have been sent off, if El Abd hadn't been an arse for the previous hour?

How about because it's cheating FFS??!!!

I am sure that you and everyone else with the same opinion would scream blue murder if the opposition did the same!!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
How about because it's cheating FFS??!!!

I am sure that you and everyone else with the same opinion would scream blue murder if the opposition did the same!!

but the opposition do do it , they have also kicked casper in the head and given barnsey and adam a nice bit of a facial in full view of the officials in the past and got away scott free. so what if he looks like a bell end , if gus disapproved i'm sure he would have had a word.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
usually, loads of people around me like to believe he's innocent and swear at the ref. Then a couple of times I shout stop f***ing play acting, and everyone glares. Then he gets back up and sprints to get the ball back.

Greatness right there, it's a riot! :lol:

Frankly - he should be fined by the Club for his antics. Last year at Wednesday was beyond belief.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Being hit in the face is serious foul play irrespective of the power behind ir. Going down makes the foul easier to recognise, making the refs decision easier. Not going doen invariably means it gets missed.

If El-Abd hadn't reacted to Lamberts slap, the ref may have ignored it and we probably would not have won.

I don't particularly like it but its part of the game now. Teams have been doing it to us for years so I can live with it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Frankly - he should be fined by the Club for his antics. Last year at Wednesday was beyond belief.
Before or after they fined the assistant manager, and lets face it, the manager if he were ever to wear the strips.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here