Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When did it start to go wrong?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
not backing mcghee with some cash to keep us up, spunking what cash we did have on players that he didnt actually want, and then ultimately not sacking him at the end of that season we went down

That's when I seriously started doubting Mr. Knight.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wembley, the last minute of extra time. If Smith had scored, we'd have been in Europe and been able to attract some better players to the club, and could have bounced back up to the first division (we came pretty close to doing that in our first couple of seasons back in division 2 anyway). You could take it back a few months earlier and say it was when we sacked Mike Bailey for being boring and getting us to 13th in the first division, and appointed the disastrous Jimmy Melia.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
For what it's worth, I think things started to go wrong when we let Dean Hammond go. To Wilkins's credit, he pulled things round after a bad January with the signing of Glenn Murray and the loans of Westlake and Racon. Hammond was the last midfielder who could protect our defence from being run at (especially at Withdean).

I'd agree with that.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
It All went Wrong For this season After We beat Man City.

Is completely the correct answer. Due to injuries Micky stumbled across his best team. No they weren't all the best players but they were hungry and they wanted it.

Elphick/Virgo as our central defence.

Livermore in central midfield.

Mixed in with hard workers like Loft and Fraser. Adding to this Thomson being given a more attacking role where he actually looked GOOD!

Next game, when the other players came back, he went back to the same old shite:angry:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
When the fans chant "seagulls" it is easily confused with "eagles", which we all know is the palace song, so I'd say it all went wrong when we got rid of that dolphin from our badge...

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
It started to go wrong when a striker was not signed the season we were relegated from the Championship,its been all downhill since then.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It started to all go wrong when we sold Mark Lawrenson to Liverpool rather than Manchester United.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Has to be Walsall at home.

We had two players more, but only managed 51% possession:wozza:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
We sold him? I thought he had the contract cancelled? What a bizarre story the Turienzo one was. He was class though, the big man. Shame he never got to play.

Another example of the chairman buying players he thinks will be great, rather than actually consulting the manager.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
In the last 20 years sacking Chris Cattlin and re-appointing a previosuly successful manager.

In the last year Dick Knight repeating history and sacking Dean WIlkins and re-appointing a previously successful manager.

But the start of our recent troubles was when Dean Wilkins stood up to Dick Knight and therefore brought Dicks ego into it.:shrug:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think he was one of those players that was technically so far ahead of the rest of our players that he didn't fit in. Some of my greatest memories of the albion involve big Fed in that tight fitting maroon shirt. As you say, it's a shame his talent was never unleashed properly, but I suppose our massive loss was Salaternia's gain.

I am amazed, I never knew where he went after us, thanks for the bit of info. He's at Arezzo now I see. I couldn't agree more though, I saw him train a few times up at Falmer, and you just had to wonder what on earth he was doing there, he was that good. Shame we never got to reap the rewards of that man.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
After we won the FA Charity Shield, I thought we were destined for greater things at the highest level. But someone f***ed it up, and now we're where we are now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here