Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When did it start to go wrong?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Was it the sacking of Wilkins, the appointment of Micky, Micky's summer signings or the sacking of the McGhee?

For what it's worth, I think things started to go wrong when we let Dean Hammond go. To Wilkins's credit, he pulled things round after a bad January with the signing of Glenn Murray and the loans of Westlake and Racon. Hammond was the last midfielder who could protect our defence from being run at (especially at Withdean).

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
When did things start to go wrong? When we couldn't find a way past Walsall's 9 men, the tactical ineptitude of the side was starting to show and the promising start was over.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Well noone knows the truth behind the sacking of Wilkins so Dick Knight might have a good reason for doing so.Untill we know the truth then we cannot really judge the sacking of him.The next in line to blame has to be Adams himself.I don't think anyone incuding Knight relised how bad Adams was.Most of his signings have been shocking and we knew the problems when he failed to strengthen the midfield or our strike force in the summer.We had a settled central paring in Elphick and Lynch which he broke up.
I firmly believe we will go down now with a team of journeymen.Results don't lie and people think we have a squad to good to go down are wrong.We have only scored 1 or 2 goals from midfield this season and that is awful.Also i've never known a season where we have been so unlucky with injuries.A new manager must clear out Adams deadwood and that includes Carole.We cannot afford a luxury player who won't track back and defend as a unit.As they say you defend from the front.The signing of McNulty is probably the best thing Adams has done for our club.Jim Gannon got Stockport promoted with hungry youngsters and it's time we looked down this avenue.I not saying a full team of kids as that never really works but we need to inject some pace and passion into our team.You need to get the blend right.As long as we keep Murray,Forster,Whing,Elphick,Lynch,Virgo,Davies,McNulty,El-Abd then the rest can go.That is a pretty good spine to a team except the midfield.Cox needs a final warning to improve or he can go as well.Time to rebuild the squad me thinks.Those players are to good for league 2 but the rest are rubbish.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
not backing mcghee with some cash to keep us up, spunking what cash we did have on players that he didnt actually want, and then ultimately not sacking him at the end of that season we went down

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Well noone knows the truth behind the sacking of Wilkins so Dick Knight might have a good reason for doing so.Untill we know the truth then we cannot really judge the sacking of him.The next in line to blame has to be Adams himself.I don't think anyone incuding Knight relised how bad Adams was.Most of his signings have been shocking and we knew the problems when he failed to strengthen the midfield or our strike force in the summer.We had a settled central paring in Elphick and Lynch which he broke up.
I firmly believe we will go down now with a team of journeymen.Results don't lie and people think we have a squad to good to go down are wrong.We have only scored 1 or 2 goals from midfield this season and that is awful.Also i've never known a season where we have been so unlucky with injuries.A new manager must clear out Adams deadwood and that includes Carole.We cannot afford a luxury player who won't track back and defend as a unit.As they say you defend from the front.The signing of McNulty is probably the best thing Adams has done for our club.Jim Gannon got Stockport promoted with hungry youngsters and it's time we looked down this avenue.I not saying a full team of kids as that never really works but we need to inject some pace and passion into our team.You need to get the blend right.As long as we keep Murray,Forster,Whing,Elphick,Lynch,Virgo,Davies,McNulty,El-Abd then the rest can go.That is a pretty good spine to a team except the midfield.Cox needs a final warning to improve or he can go as well.Time to rebuild the squad me thinks.Those players are to good for league 2 but the rest are rubbish.

that would be the carole who came on and changed the games against hartlepool (first touch: a cross for forster to score) and northampton (first touch: a corner for elphick to score). :dunce:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Mike Bamber. Crazy salaries.

scotjem

Oct 25, 2003
Glasgow
When Wilkins was promoted to manager we seemed to lose interest in developing our own players, and developing our own quality coaching staff. We have started looking for quick fixes to our problems by flashing the cash - so far with little success.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Taking over at the Goldstone, what was wrong with the County Ground? ???

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Probably the season when we let Cullip, Harding and Virgo go ... was that really 4 years ago now?
Then we let CKR, Hammond and Revell go - albeit in separate seasons.
Too many good key players have gone.
That said, I thought Wilkins was putting together a decent side - we had some great purple patches under him and we were firing up front too with Jake and Revell banging them in, Hammond running the show and Cox working his socks off.
Agree that now we seem to have too many journeymen and not enough real Albion players - who like Wilkins, Virgo, Robinson and Ed Abd have grown with the club.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Jim Gannon got Stockport promoted with hungry youngsters and it's time we looked down this avenue.I not saying a full team of kids as that never really works but we need to inject some pace and passion into our team.
Didn't we have someone who was doing the same thing?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here