Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When can we start the new Sherlock thread?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I haven't been watching the episodes as they air, I've been recording them and watching them a day later. This was fine for the first two episodes. No spoilers in any of the tweets I follow. This time, however, there were a few tweets that sneaked through with spoilers almost as soon as it aired. I averted my eyes as soon as I realised I was reading a sherlock tweet, but still got the impression something was revealed to have been untrue/a lie, so I went in expecting moriarty to make a surprise reappearance - if Sherlock can fake his death with ridiculous explanations, why can't moriarty? Blood pack, fake gun - Sherlock would have been too shocked to look closely, and busy faking his death, so sherlock jumps and moriarty swaps out a corpse.

When I did get to watch it, I kept getting interrupted, loud vehicles outside the house, deliveries, phone calls, etc. Very annoying.

Hmm, was CAM's threat against her husband really enough to threaten her? Couldn't she just distance herself from him? I don't know, the way they seemingly played her husband's dalliance down, making it clear the husband wasn't so bad we shouldn't have sympathy for her (she looked older, he broke it off as soon as he knew her age) and that it occurred before she met him (which would bring an assumption this happened when they were younger), kinda makes it seem less blackmail-worthy. I don't know if they really put across how he would have manipulated the media and the picture he painted and the hysteria in the press that surrounds such cases, and the cost to either her relationship or her career wouldn't be worth standing up for the truth.

Was that junkie a bad actor, or is there more to him than appeared.

Redbeard? CAM said something about redbeard when at Sherlock's place. Have I forgotten what that was about or is it something to come?

I part expected the plane to blow up to end with another fake death. Then I started to think Moriarty would be at the prison.

I felt the resolution to the CAM story was a bit weird. Firstly Sherlock didn't manage to outsmart him, killing him seemed too easy and easy doesn't feel right for sherlock, and then there was no repercussion for Sherlock. And Mary? What about her facing repercussions for what she did, or at least an explanation to make it seem like the people she killed deserved it? Sure, they said she was with the CIA, with an implied "for the greater good", but then followed it up with comments about her going freelance.

But I really liked the scenes of John and Mary after her revelation, and the scene with Mycroft and Sherlock at their parent's house was a nice touch.

It seemed a bit of a mixed bag for me. Maybe I need to watch it again with fewer interruptions to enjoy it properly, but overall I'd say it was a mixed bag that I kinda liked.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It was just magnificent. TV drama at it's very very best. Really pleased to hear that the next series is being planned. Would be great to see it by the end of 2014 but suspect the respective acting careers of the leads will mean that's too early.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You just knew Moriarty was going to make a comeback the second he popped up in Sherlock's mind when he was dealing with being shot. You knew that was the opening the old evil maestro needed to get back to the real world.

I thought it was brilliant last night.

Redbeard? CAM said something about redbeard when at Sherlock's place. Have I forgotten what that was about or is it something to come?

I am sure an image of a dog (Red Setter?) flashed up with the title of "Redbeard" when he was having the flashback sequence after being shot by Mary. I thought something was going to happen with the plane at the end as I really didn't expect another series with the two stars having gone all Hollywood (in Martin Freeman's case I still can't think of him without thinking of Tim - maybe due to the fact that he behaved just like and bears a strong resemblance to a former workmate).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I haven't been watching the episodes as they air, I've been recording them and watching them a day later. This was fine for the first two episodes. No spoilers in any of the tweets I follow. This time, however, there were a few tweets that sneaked through with spoilers almost as soon as it aired. I averted my eyes as soon as I realised I was reading a sherlock tweet, but still got the impression something was revealed to have been untrue/a lie, so I went in expecting moriarty to make a surprise reappearance - if Sherlock can fake his death with ridiculous explanations, why can't moriarty? Blood pack, fake gun - Sherlock would have been too shocked to look closely, and busy faking his death, so sherlock jumps and moriarty swaps out a corpse.

When I did get to watch it, I kept getting interrupted, loud vehicles outside the house, deliveries, phone calls, etc. Very annoying.

Hmm, was CAM's threat against her husband really enough to threaten her? Couldn't she just distance herself from him? I don't know, the way they seemingly played her husband's dalliance down, making it clear the husband wasn't so bad we shouldn't have sympathy for her (she looked older, he broke it off as soon as he knew her age) and that it occurred before she met him (which would bring an assumption this happened when they were younger), kinda makes it seem less blackmail-worthy. I don't know if they really put across how he would have manipulated the media and the picture he painted and the hysteria in the press that surrounds such cases, and the cost to either her relationship or her career wouldn't be worth standing up for the truth.

I part expected the plane to blow up to end with another fake death. Then I started to think Moriarty would be at the prison.

I felt the resolution to the CAM story was a bit weird. Firstly Sherlock didn't manage to outsmart him, killing him seemed too easy and easy doesn't feel right for sherlock, and then there was no repercussion for Sherlock. And Mary? What about her facing repercussions for what she did, or at least an explanation to make it seem like the people she killed deserved it? Sure, they said she was with the CIA, with an implied "for the greater good", but then followed it up with comments about her going freelance.

But I really liked the scenes of John and Mary after her revelation, and the scene with Mycroft and Sherlock at their parent's house was a nice touch.

It seemed a bit of a mixed bag for me. Maybe I need to watch it again with fewer interruptions to enjoy it properly, but overall I'd say it was a mixed bag that I kinda liked.

Sherlock was desperate to gain access to " the Vault " that was thought to contain so much potential and current blackmail material. But CAM sealed his own death warrant by saying, effectively, " There is no vault, it is all here in my head ". Holmes had been outsmarted and CAM then arrogantly humiliated Watson which for Holmes was too much. Killing CAM meant all his knowledge and secrets died with him, all the " Pressure Points " that he was so fond of , would be gone. So Holmes shot him and was prepared to face the consequences but, as we all know, Sherlock is a very valuable asset to Mycroft and the intelligence services. Ergo the arrival of Moriarty and he's off the hook.

Remember, Sherlock has used violence and intimidation before to get his way if the need arises, so shooting CAM was not as unexpected as Mary Watson shooting him.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Sherlock was desperate to gain access to " the Vault " that was thought to contain so much potential and current blackmail material. But CAM sealed his own death warrant by saying, effectively, " There is no vault, it is all here in my head ". Holmes had been outsmarted and CAM then arrogantly humiliated Watson which for Holmes was too much. Killing CAM meant all his knowledge and secrets died with him, all the " Pressure Points " that he was so fond of , would be gone. So Holmes shot him and was prepared to face the consequences but, as we all know, Sherlock is a very valuable asset to Mycroft and the intelligence services. Ergo the arrival of Moriarty and he's off the hook.

Remember, Sherlock has used violence and intimidation before to get his way if the need arises, so shooting CAM was not as unexpected as Mary Watson shooting him.

I understand why he shot him, it just felt too simple.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
The scenes after sherlock was shot featuring his mind palace was some of the best television I've seen for a very long time.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton

He was great! Very funny throughout - I thought he was a welcome addition. I hope he becomes a regular thing, maybe as the face of Sherlock's homeless network

The scenes after sherlock was shot featuring his mind palace was some of the best television I've seen for a very long time.

That was very reminiscent of Inception I thought; I was half expecting to hear Je Ne Regrette Rien

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here