Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] When are you gonna stop doing smartphone?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Phone
Music player
Camera
Watch
Diary
Computer
Calculator

Very useful tool for a self employed tradesmen like myself, and I've listed only the things I use my phone for.

I'm not one of these people that walks around with a phone glued to my hand though, I never look at my phone if I'm having a meal with family or friends.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Phone
Music player
Camera
Watch
Diary
Computer
Calculator
Google..how to be a plumber

Very useful tool for a self employed tradesmen like myself, and I've listed only the things I use my phone for.

I'm not one of these people that walks around with a phone glued to my hand though, I never look at my phone if I'm having a meal with family or friends.

Slight correction

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I know a couple of people who start txting during dinner, and are scrolling through web pages when we are watching TV. I think it's just rudeness.

Oh and the nobs walking the streets txting and not looking where they are going.

Oh and the nobs with an earpiece having a loud phone conversation on a train. Pointless conversations 90%, show offy work conversations 10%. On the rare occasions I get a call on the train I talk quietly. FFS.

As one of our dear leaders said above, it isn't the phones, it's the people. A small % of people are simply dicks. Who knew? ???

I have very little use for my smartphone, tbf. I would never walk around with headphones on (I gave that up when I was 15, albeit the paving slab sized casette player was a bit embarrassing to lug about, even with a briefcase style handle). I would never phone someone for a chat while wandering about.

And I can't get the bloody internet to work inside the Amex for some reason. That does bloody annoy me.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I have lots of insight to contribute to this thread, but because I need a smartphone to be able to join in, am unable to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Smartphones are an essential tool to modern life as per the reasons given by others however there is a problem with the use of social media which can be accessed via smartphones for some individuals it can be used as a terrible weapon while for others and particarly Young girls it's a means to be judged and to judge others and make people's lives a misery

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I dropped my smart phone in the middle of the road once.

Car was coming.

It just sat there.

Smartphone my arse.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Watching a gig or football match through your phone is just plain wrong and I've never understood the trend of photographing food. However, that doesn't make the technology bad, just the way we use them.

I run a lot (for exercise and enter races). This morning, beofre my run, I was able to check the up to date (to about five minutes) weather forecast on my phone. During my run I tracked my distance and pace on my phone and, if my wife had needed me back at base for any reason, she could have rung me and I would have been able to hail an uber or get a bus ticket on my phone.

This afternoon I will check the team on Twitter or the Albion app on the way to the game, text my mates to see which bar we'll meet in and stick on a couple of bets and my Super 6.

However, when I am with my mates we will not stare at our phones at all. We'll have a beer and a conversation like normal human beings.

People are shit. Phones aren't.

In what way is that a positive? ???

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Was in a restaurant yesterday evening, and 2 young women sat at the table next to us.

They were both glued to their smartphones the whole time. Didn’t speak to each other, never looked up, didn’t look at their food, and literally held their phones throughout the meal: one hand cradling the phone, the other hand shovelling the food into their mouth, while they stared at their phone.

If someone had crept up and replaced their meal with a dog turd on a plate, they wouldn’t have noticed.

Must say, it does seem to be young women especially who are always ‘on’ their smartphones; whatever they're doing, wherever they’re going, whoever they’re with, they always seem to be texting or chatting at the same time.

I genuinely think smartphones have turned a lot of people into pathetic anti-social morons without any social skills.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Is there any evidence to suggest they harm ones mental health ? you mot*** F********* Tw** Faced Wa*** Pot

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
With my job it's kind of a necessary evil, but i try not to use it that much when i'm not at work as its nice to have a break from using it a lot.

Like many have said, it isn't the device/s itself, more how we choose to use them.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

That's an opinion piece that cherry picks a couple of studies that back up the author's starting point, and it admits itself "of course, correlation doesn’t prove causation – perhaps unhappy people use digital media more".

Even that is disingenuous. It should just say "perhaps PEOPLE use digital media more".

I don't suppose there's any chance of you producing metadata that includes studies featuring large enough study groups with people who have never picked up a smartphone?. Rather than an opinion piece in a left wing paper?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That's an opinion piece that cherry picks a couple of studies that back up the author's starting point, and it admits itself "of course, correlation doesn’t prove causation – perhaps unhappy people use digital media more".

Even that is disingenuous. It should just say "perhaps PEOPLE use digital media more".

I don't suppose there's any chance of you producing metadata that includes studies featuring large enough study groups with people who have never picked up a smartphone?. Rather than an opinion piece in a left wing paper?

There's a shit load of research on this subject but I'm at my mum's place borrowing a smartphone since I have no computer with me... and I don't know what the **** I'm doing. I had to write that link on a paper and then write it here manually. I'll get back to you on January 5 with some decent links, until then y'all just keep on force feeding those two year olds with digital psycho sodomy.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
They've also no doubt contributed to a fair number of deaths and serious injury by those who use them whilst driving.

And those who chose to use them, head down walking on the pavement. I make a point of not deviating from my track now and brace for the collision, perhaps I'm just a grumpy old git! Think I started it when I saw someone else doing this and the phone jump out of the hands a crash to the pavement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here