Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wheelchair accessible minibus shuttle service from Sussex University to the stadium

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
excellent news , if the demand is there it could end up with half a dozen wheelchair accessible minibuses providing a shuttle service

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Well done to all those who got these minibuses rolling (as it were).

As has been already said, hopefully this first step will be one of a number of solutions the club will offer to supporters with disabilities on matchdays.

Good luck today hope it all goes well great service guys
It all went very well today - and it was well received by the people who used the service. The only problem I noticed was that there seem to be a number of people using Car Park 5 who weren't aware that we were running, and opted to take the more difficult route, across the car park, through the subway, over the railway bridge and up the long slope to the stadium.

Hardly surprising, since the only publicity there has been, so far, is this thread on NSC. I expect we'll get more awareness of the service by Tuesday evening and a lot more by next Saturday.

Thanks to the Club for agreeing to fund this. It will really help the people who would otherwise struggle to get to games.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
It all went very well today - and it was well received by the people who used the service. The only problem I noticed was that there seem to be a number of people using Car Park 5 who weren't aware that we were running, and opted to take the more difficult route, across the car park, through the subway, over the railway bridge and up the long slope to the stadium.

Hardly surprising, since the only publicity there has been, so far, is this thread on NSC. I expect we'll get more awareness of the service by Tuesday evening and a lot more by next Saturday.

Thanks to the Club for agreeing to fund this. It will really help the people who would otherwise struggle to get to games.

Ed,

From a 'users' point of view, I thought it was excellent.

We got to car park 5 (sounds like staleg 5!) early. While we sat and waited, I too did see some people heading towards the gap in the trees. Two of which I was able to turn back when I explained about the bus.
They were very pleased, but miffed that no-one told them. These were 'mature' users who are maybe not known for using this forum. They couldn't understand why the club had not told them, by whatever method.
They know now!
For my part, when we chose to go to ground, I saw more deserving people heading towards the pick up point, especially as I had the ankle biters with me, I chose to enjoy the sunshine instead. I must confess, by the time I got to the stadium, i wish I had waited for the next bus!!
That is one helluva walk for someone with 'restricted' movement. It just seems so crazy to put disabled in Sx Uni, when able bodied are parking right next door.
All in all, well done Ed on behalf of all who used your service, and more importantly, Thank you! Michael

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
well done Lord B.

Now you've got the disabled to the stadium, how about another campaign to let them use the lifts to get to their seats in the West Stand Upper? I saw some poor guy struggling to climb around 100 steps today using 2 sticks and the handrail, I offered to help even tho there was little I could do. He thanked me and struggled on.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Could a couple of signs be produced for those parking on the university site to advise disabled supporters of the new service? Also signs at the stadium for the return trip. I'm sure this is (one of many things!) on the 'to do' list already!

Am I right in thinking that this service is free at the point of use?

Could a couple of signs be produced for those parking on the university site to advise disabled supporters of the new service? Also signs at the stadium for the return trip. I'm sure this is (one of many things!) on the 'to do' list already!

Am I right in thinking that this service is free at the point of use?
Car Park 5 is a bit of a sprawl, but I'll suggest to the Club that signing the minibus service might be considered. I'm sure that potential users can be reached in other ways as well.

Yes. Free at the point of use. People have already paid for parking, of course.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I'm sure that potential users can be reached in other ways as well.

Presumably the club has the details of all those with disabled parking spaces already (be it email/post/phone) so could mail-shot everyone fairly easily. A bit in the programme for the next few games might be handy too.

Top work (again!).

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
Car Park 5 is a bit of a sprawl, but I'll suggest to the Club that signing the minibus service might be considered. I'm sure that potential users can be reached in other ways as well.

Yes. Free at the point of use. People have already paid for parking, of course.

Surely the stewards at the entrance to the car park could simply tell people about it when they park?

paul1960

Feb 26, 2007
Sussex
well done Lord B.

Now you've got the disabled to the stadium, how about another campaign to let them use the lifts to get to their seats in the West Stand Upper? I saw some poor guy struggling to climb around 100 steps today using 2 sticks and the handrail, I offered to help even tho there was little I could do. He thanked me and struggled on.

Couldn't agree more. My father also had the same problem after being able to use the lift in previous games which we had even liaised with the club about.However at yesterdays game v Blackpool, on arrival he was told he could not use the lift as people had been abusing the use of the lift and there was now a blanket ban on using the lift for everyone.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
well done Lord B.

As much as I feel for the poor gentleman involved, the club couldn't really have made it any clearer that you had to be in good shape if you wanted to go in the West Upper.

Well done to Lord B and everyone else involved with the bus service, a great step forward.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
As much as I feel for the poor gentleman involved, the club couldn't really have made it any clearer that you had to be in good shape if you wanted to go in the West Upper.

not quite true. Many were told that they would be able to use the lifts and as Paul1960 highlights have been. I think the directors of the club would have been embarrassed and ashamed if they had seen one of their customers struggle so much yesterday. It's only a matter of time before someone has an fall on those stairs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here