Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wheelchair accessible minibus shuttle service from Sussex University to the stadium

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
not quite true. Many were told that they would be able to use the lifts and as Paul1960 highlights have been. I think the directors of the club would have been embarrassed and ashamed if they had seen one of their customers struggle so much yesterday. It's only a matter of time before someone has an fall on those stairs.

Well, at my ST presentation I was told there were no lifts - end of story.

It seems that the club are being 'accused' of backtracking on certain issues whereas I believe that a lot of it has been down to the 'spiel' of some of those dealing with season ticket bookings, and saying things without authority.

I think it admirable that the club have organised transport for wheelchair disabled supporters from the SU car parks.

Last edited:

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Out of interest, can someone tell me if there are lifts at say Wembley, The Emirates or Old Trafford as I have never visited any of those stadia.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Out of interest, can someone tell me if there are lifts at say Wembley, The Emirates or Old Trafford as I have never visited any of those stadia.

escalators, lifts, slopes and stairs.

Re the evacuation/emergency procedures from the WSU, surely that's the club's responsibility.

I would hope the club could bend the rules a little for the people who really struggle to climb the stairs but still want to sit with their family and friends. Even the fittest people have accidents and it would be a shame if these people were prevented from going to matches by the stairs. It seems odd that the area with greatest capacity has such restricted access.

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
I'm a bit out of touch with this board having not posted for a couple of years. I'm also not completely sure of what the issues are for mobility impaired fans (aside from the points made in this thread)

When I do finally get to my first game at AMEX which area do I want to sit in to avoid using any stairs?

I recognise a few names in this thread so if you remember me, hello *waves* :)

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
escalators, lifts, slopes and stairs.

Re the evacuation/emergency procedures from the WSU, surely that's the club's responsibility.

I would hope the club could bend the rules a little for the people who really struggle to climb the stairs but still want to sit with their family and friends. Even the fittest people have accidents and it would be a shame if these people were prevented from going to matches by the stairs. It seems odd that the area with greatest capacity has such restricted access.

Thanks for your reply, Cheers

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They chose West Stand Upper when they were in good health , their health has deteriorated since purchasing the season ticket.

Talk to the club. I am certain they will arrange for a ticket(s) exchange for a more suitable part of the stadium.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Presumably the club has the details of all those with disabled parking spaces already (be it email/post/phone) so could mail-shot everyone fairly easily. A bit in the programme for the next few games might be handy too.

Top work (again!).

Couldn't agree more. My father also had the same problem after being able to use the lift in previous games which we had even liaised with the club about.However at yesterdays game v Blackpool, on arrival he was told he could not use the lift as people had been abusing the use of the lift and there was now a blanket ban on using the lift for everyone.

My mum came to the match on Saturday... so we used the entrance and stairs at the South end of the West Stand... it is a MUCH shorter climb!!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
well done Lord B.

Now you've got the disabled to the stadium, how about another campaign to let them use the lifts to get to their seats in the West Stand Upper? I saw some poor guy struggling to climb around 100 steps today using 2 sticks and the handrail, I offered to help even tho there was little I could do. He thanked me and struggled on.

that is probably the same bloke that was doing EXACTLTY the same beforethe Doncaster game.

Who on earth convonced him that WSU would be convenient

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
that is probably the same bloke that was doing EXACTLTY the same beforethe Doncaster game.

Who on earth convonced him that WSU would be convenient

I saw him as well. I really think they should let him use the service lift. Its quite clear he isnt taking the piss.

Tho maybe he should also look at getting a tix for another part of the ground. I wouldnt want to do that every other week.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
My mum came to the match on Saturday... so we used the entrance and stairs at the South end of the West Stand... it is a MUCH shorter climb!!

Aha I will bear that in mind when my dad comes next then.

Jay316

Aug 22, 2011
Could a couple of signs be produced for those parking on the university site to advise disabled supporters of the new service? Also signs at the stadium for the return trip. I'm sure this is (one of many things!) on the 'to do' list already!

Am I right in thinking that this service is free at the point of use?

All staff in the car parks, were aware that this service was there.. as was the stewards in the car park 5 parking cars... I know this as I spoke to one of the drivers.! and told stewards myself.. I will make sure that this made clear again :)

"And I'll probably get told not to post on here... "

Last edited:

Everything is in place for the service to be running for the Sunderland game. I'm hoping that the cunning plan that we have for post-match operation will ensure that we can avoid the buses getting caught up in traffic, like happened (to an extent) on Saturday. This should ensure that people get back to their cars reasonably promptly.

Jay316

Aug 22, 2011
Everything is in place for the service to be running for the Sunderland game. I'm hoping that the cunning plan that we have for post-match operation will ensure that we can avoid the buses getting caught up in traffic, like happened (to an extent) on Saturday. This should ensure that people get back to their cars reasonably promptly.

Hopefully... they need to put in some traffic lights (temp) to control the traffic better.. I know all traffic goes one way, but this is hampered with Taxis trying to enter a site that is purely for parking, not a drop off point.. this is why there is long queues to get parked...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here