Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wheelchair accessible minibus shuttle service from Sussex University to the stadium

A partial solution to the problems faced by disabled supporters who park at Sussex University will be given a run tomorrow.

After a lot of discussion and some rather hasty planning work, the Club has agreed that a wheelchair accessible minibus shuttle service will be provided for supporters with disabilities who need to get from the Sussex University car park to the stadium, pre-match, and back again, post-match. The service will start tomorrow.

The minibus service will run from Car Park 5 (adjacent to the Sussex University Sportcentre and close to the Gardner Centre) to the Amex Coach Park (close to the lift). It will be available from about 12.30 until 2.30-ish and, post-match, immediately after the game until about 6.15pm. The vehicles will be capable of carrying up to four wheelchair users at a time, together with their carers/pushers. The minibuses will depart from the Gardner Centre Road (immediately opposite the car park entrance) and will run as frequently as can be arranged. There is no charge for the transport to users of the service - just present yourself to the driver of the waiting minibus.

I hope that the service will be well used (but not to the point at which a big queue builds up). This is very much a first stab at trying to arrange a practical solution and I would ask people to be tolerant of any teething problems. It is hoped that a similar service can be provided at every home game.

I am told that Car Park 5 has a number of disabled supporters with car park spaces allocated to them there. I guess that every disabled fan who is intending to use Car Park 5 has, until now, been expecting to have to make their own way across the A27 and the railway and up the slope to the stadium. The minibus shuttle service should make it a slightly easier journey for at least some supporters.

Fingers crossed that the service works well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Are you running the two buses tomorrow? Ie intend to have a bus depart every 20 minutes.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Good on AITC who has now recruited Junior Beach Hut (not so junior now as 19 next week) to their ranks.

Are you running the two buses tomorrow? Ie intend to have a bus depart every 20 minutes.
We are, indeed. I'm hopeful that the route that will be used will be quick enough to ensure a reasonably frequent service and that no-one will be left waiting for too long.

This will be very much a 'suck-it-and-see' operation, on the first day.

Is it possible to be dropped off at and collected from car park 5?
I don't think you'll be turned away - but I honestly don't know how many people will be wanting to use the service and whether a lot of people wanting to do this will cause an excessively long queue to form. Thanks for asking, though. It's gone on to the list of things to suck and see.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
A great step in the right direction but not the full solution I expect...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't think you'll be turned away - but I honestly don't know how many people will be wanting to use the service and whether a lot of people wanting to do this will cause an excessively long queue to form. Thanks for asking, though. It's gone on to the list of things to suck and see.

Excellent work LB.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A great step in the right direction but not the full solution I expect...

Personally, I hope it's part of a raft of solutions/options.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
Excellent work Ed. I'll give it a go but with the intention of those who need it most going before me in the queue.

This is a major step forward to the A27 problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here