Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

whats your opinion on crawley town

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Crawley to be honest its a bit of a nothing urban sprawl, but the football team if nothing else is putting the place on a map and if it can over time give the town a heart well that's only for the good

bassking

Mar 18, 2011
The Dollar Store
I think they need some of them jcl,s from the man united game to make some sort of commitment to thier local club and start backing them, seeing as its the first time in the clubs history they have got themselves where they are. Good luck to them though!!!

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Trust me, the Winfields have put a LOT of money into that club, I know exactly how much, Bruce was my Uncles best friend.
Look I don't give a f*** about CTFC and I live here, I love the Albion with all my heart but I just think we shouldn't be so judgemental when Tony Bloom has just funded us to the tune of £100 million ( sounds good doesn't it !!)

Did they put in the six hundred grand that this conference club invested in players last season? Would you feel that way if you supported Luton Town? Wrexham perhaps? It stinks!

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
A fair old whack of it, but that's by the by. I should think Luton have got the hump about but let's be honest they're no saints either.
And to put into perspective a lot of clubs are getting fed up with us and a lot of that is to do with us having a chairman who is willing to chuck a f*** load of money at us !

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
A fair old whack of it, but that's by the by. I should think Luton have got the hump about but let's be honest they're no saints either.
And to put into perspective a lot of clubs are getting fed up with us and a lot of that is to do with us having a chairman who is willing to chuck a f*** load of money at us !

Well that Guardian article says your wrong. The money came from mysterious investors who have not passed the fit and proper test.

The Blooms have a forty year association with this football club and their motives or legality have never been questioned.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I can do no more than wish Crawley all the best. Another Sussex club in the football league, the first time in this county's history, and what with the Albion with their brand spanking new stadium and very shiny future and now a 4th tier league club, the future for our hugely important non league set up has never been rosier. For those of us that are passionate about non league this is a major factor in the growth of Sussex football.

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
its just a place where i saw the worst Paul Weller concert at a leisure centre over the road from the footie ground & never wanna go back!!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
A house built on sand methinks.

I (regrettably) didn't back them to win the league last season as I thought it would all come toppling down. It didn't last season but I think it will one day. I've nothing against them particularly, just something doesn't smell right about the whole situation.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Well that Guardian article says your wrong. The money came from mysterious investors who have not passed the fit and proper test.

The Blooms have a forty year association with this football club and their motives or legality have never been questioned.
And if the guardian knows all that why didn't they name them ? Bruce Winfield has been involved with Crawley for many many years, I know this to be fact.
You're basing your argument on a newspaper article, I'm basing it on an actuall conversation with Bruce at a family party this time last year. And at Bruce's funeral Silpa vowed to carry on where Bruce left off.
Unless things have changed since then, I believe this to still be the case (although I haven't spoken to her since the funeral)
I have nothing to do with CTFC, the Winfields were/are family friends.
All we're doing is knocking Crawley just the same as palace are knocking us on that thread on bbs the other day.
That said I'd love us to draw CTFC in the cup and knock another 5 goals past them at the Amex

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
And if the guardian knows all that why didn't they name them ?

Because that's the point, the investors are unknown and therefore nobody knows how they are funded. Nobody disputes that the Winfield's have had a long association with the club (just like the Blooms), but they are not the source of all this investment. Last season Crawley spent more than all the League 2 clubs put together, yet the Winfield's were there when the club went into adminsitration.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
But my point is, the papers know enough to say that they failed a fit & proper person test but not enough to name them ?
Look I know how much bruce & Silpa have invested, but they don't want it made public, trust me it's a lot.
Silpa's family are incredibly wealthy, as for the administration I can't really comment but I thought that was the majeeds, if it was, bruce wasn't involved back then, he didn't want anything to do with them. If it was after the majeeds went, then I can't comment why Bruce didn't bail them out.

Last edited:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
But my point is, the papers know enough to say that they failed a fit & proper person test but not enough to name them ?

My god, it's taking a while to get this point across. NOBODY outside the club knows who the investors are, so they can't do a fit and proper person test. The investment IS known to be from Hong Kong and they have cleared 1.4million in debt and spent nigh on a million in transfer fees for a club with no fan base in a car park near Gatwick. Something is awry.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Ok mate well done you are now resorting to make silly insults about the town where I live, let's leave it at that. It's a shame as it was a good discussion until you started acting like you are 12 !
Back to reading the guardian for you.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
FA rules require Conference club directors, and owners of 30% or more of the shares, to self-certify that they are "fit and proper people," with no convictions. An FA spokesman said Crawley have complied, but did not explain whether in fact any of the new investors individually owns 30%.

Firstly - it looks like Crawley have complied - either because the new investors self certified - or because the new investors individually do not own more than 30% (2 x 20% for example).
Secondly - what the point of a fit and proper test if you are allowed to self certify.
Thirdly - Winfield said the new investors had 40% of the shares - so presumably had put 40% of the money in.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Ok mate well done you are now resorting to make silly insults about the town where I live, let's leave it at that. It's a shame as it was a good discussion until you started acting like you are 12 !
Back to reading the guardian for you.

I can't debate properly with somebody who misses the point repeatedly and even when I state it very clearly, only comes back on an irrelevant point, so yes, I think I'll pop out and get The Guardian!

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
FA rules require Conference club directors, and owners of 30% or more of the shares, to self-certify that they are "fit and proper people," with no convictions. An FA spokesman said Crawley have complied, but did not explain whether in fact any of the new investors individually owns 30%.

Firstly - it looks like Crawley have complied - either because the new investors self certified - or because the new investors individually do not own more than 30% (2 x 20% for example).
Secondly - what the point of a fit and proper test if you are allowed to self certify.
Thirdly - Winfield said the new investors had 40% of the shares - so presumably had put 40% of the money in.

1. It's investors not an investor
2. Absolutely, and how exactly can Carson Yeung be considered fit and proper? Makes a mockery of the whole thing
3. Shareholding and spend are not always linked. Take Brighton and Hove Albion. Tony Bloom owns 75%. Does anyone think he is only putting in 75% of the money right now?

Last edited:

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I was given a ticket to go watch Crawley against Safend last night and thought i would report back to fellow Sussex fans on my experiance. Crowd was about 3200 which included just over 500 from the visitors who to be fair made a bit of a noise at the beginning. First half was not good, both sides (safend with Harris and Dickinson up front) played very narrow and resorted to the long ball game and at half time i was very disapointed from Crawley, expected a lot more from them. 2nd period though was totally differnent, Crawley put the ball on the floor, brought Torres and Simpson into the game more and simpley ripped Safend to pieces, they could just not cope the movement and pace of Crawleys play, they have a chap signed from Everton called Akpan in the middle who just drives at the back four with good skill and vision and with Tubbs and Barnett up front they have pace and power, Tubbs is very similar to CMS (not same level) where he just runs all night and closes down very quick, the first was a 35 yard chip from the MOM Howell and the second a clear cut pen from Tubbs, the Third was delightful, about 20 passes with Tubbs finishing with a nice header. They could have had another 5 or 6 if it were not for the keeper and some bad finishing. How Tubbs is still at that Club I will never no as he is in my opinion championship standard, has the lot, movement, pace, eye for goal, loves a challenge and fitness of CMS. Disappointment for me was the noise from the home crowd, very limited song choice and very few songs, think that will come as more bigger teams go there, two that did make me laugh though were "evans evans give us a wave" which he did do to which the Crawey fans replied with "you fat bastard you fat bastard you fat bastard" to which he waved again and the other was when Howell scored the first with his chip, the crawley fans started singing "your too small to be in goal, your too small to be in goal"

Overall based on the first half, Crawley will be playoffs as although not good, they are very organised, based upon 2nd half, I honestly think they will walk the league as the football is not league 2 standard, its top of league 1 and teams wont cope with it. and they still have Pablo Mills and Bulman to come back from injury which will just make them stronger.

An enjoyable evening really ruined by Palarse winning, but finished off with a walk to the Downsman and a couple of pints.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here