The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Looks like Merthyr Tydfil are folding.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
With all due respect. If you have seen the film 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding', most if not all words come from Greek.

The word 'Taxi' comes from the Greek words 'to travel',

for example:

In English to say; " Have a good journey"

would be translated in Greek as:"Kalo Taxidi".

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It would help if they were a more friendlier bunch;when ever travelling through North or Mid Wales every road sign is in Welsh

How very dare they. It's just like bloody France, isn't it? I mean, all their road signs are in FRENCH. SELFISH, that's what they are.

And don't even get me started on the GERMANS.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
PS I actually think the Welsh have a lovely accent.

I'm not the only one either: market researchers have illustrated time and time again that English speakers find a Welsh accent (1) appealing and (2) trustworthy. Hence various companies have located their call centres in the Valleys.

How very dare they. It's just like bloody France, isn't it? I mean, all their road signs are in FRENCH. SELFISH, that's what they are.
And don't even get me started on the GERMANS.

I'm not the only one either: market researchers have illustrated time and time again that English speakers find a Welsh accent (1) appealing and (2) trustworthy. Hence various companies have located their call centres in the Valleys.

:bowdown:
Oooh, if I wasn't already taken...

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Why do you have to pay to get into Wales, they can get here for free. I think it's a way of keeping the English out. :annoyed:

Jamon Jamon

Mar 25, 2008
I hate the Welsh, due to 2 visits to Ninian and one to The Vetch (Wrexham was OK)
but mostly due to one of the last matches at The Goldstone v Cardiff

I don't get it. In dozens of visits to (mainly Welsh-speaking) Wales I have never been made to feel unwelcome, never been insulted for being English, never had that legendary experience of "people swapping to speaking Welsh when they knew an Englishman is around".

What have you all been doing to invite such behaviour?

rusty redeyes

Feb 26, 2007
Portslade, The Blue Anchor

Crap, nothing to do with the accent at all and all to do with it being cheaper. When L&G moved a call centre down there, the starting salary for the sheep shaggers was circa £4k less than those left back in Hove who'd been doing the same job. My experience of trianing down there is that they hate us with a passion, the valley boyos and gals especially, but then they dislike those from cardiff just because they speak English!!!

Apr 17, 2009
Rural East Sussex
What have the Welsh done for us anyway? All they ever want is hand outs from Westminster, given us glowns like Neil Kinnock and Robbie Savage. Nation of violent little men suffering from a bad dose of SMS ( Small man syndrome ). Mind you most Welsh Women drop their Skanties, if they are wearing any in the first place, PDQ for half a pint of Shandy. Oh dear I'm going to be accused for being Welshist. I might even get banned by Lord B for 5 minuits for potentialy upsetting the Boyos

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
i think wales is just wales and the welsh are just the welsh,and things should stay that way.......God....................its a hole,aint it.
makes you proud to be English...............you know the same English that consist of scousers,mancs,brummies etc etc...............Not to mention those pesky Immigrants.....

Hang on there the true britons are`nt they...........................LET ME IN

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The Welsh are a fine nation, BUT do not get into a conversation about:

(a) Rugby.
(b) The English.

If you follow those two rules you'll find the Welsh arn't so bad.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I don't get it. In dozens of visits to (mainly Welsh-speaking) Wales I have never been made to feel unwelcome, never been insulted for being English, never had that legendary experience of "people swapping to speaking Welsh when they knew an Englishman is around".

What have you all been doing to invite such behaviour?

We have lived in Wales for 25 years, and have never experianced the Welsh swapping from speaking English to Welsh, in the main it is a myth, and most people will carry that myth on forever.

The true fact is, the vast majority of people living in Wales (certainly South Wales which i think this thread is about in the main) can't utter a word of Welsh if they wanted to :lol:

As MacKenzie states above, the people in the main are fine people, there are good and bad in every town / country etc, in fact I can honestly say I have had the unfortunate experiance of coming across some right ignorant twats at away games, and unfortunatly they were in the away section, as i said, good and bad in everyone.

In my many years of living in Wales, all the adverse comments I have come across, have normally come from people who have little of no experiance of visiting Wales for decent periods of time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here