Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the strangest game you've ever been to?

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Mine has to be

Tarff Rovers v Dalbeattie Red Star (South of Scotland League) in I think 1998.

Tarff (average attendance 45) drew over 800 for their match against Dalbeattie cos they had just signed former Scottish Premier League starlet Chic Charnley (then 37 years old!).

Charnley dominated the match ... but the highlights were a dog who kept running on the pitch, a 5 year old girl who suddenly sprinted from nowhere to kick the ball away from the goal and Charnley signalling before full time to "get the beers in"

Football as it should be played!!!

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
we had a friendly years ago at the goldsone vs steaua bucharest.
think it was past of the stefan iovan deal.
they were 4 - 0 up at half time. we won 5 - 4.
might be the other way around, can't remember for sure. was funny though :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Oct 25, 2003
wimbeldon vs. some turkish team

inter-toto cup

goldstone ground

wimbledon put their reserves out and that turkish lot gave them a tonking

wasn't that strange, just shit

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Finn Harps vs. Celtic, in a friendly. This time, it was Finn Harps who put out the reserve team

I gave up counting after the tenth goal and left around the 15th. Although apparently Harps pulled two back because Celtic just let them score

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
Strangest Albion game was probably the re-arranged match against York City in 1996, Goldstone was very, very quiet apart from the York fans who needed to win to stay up. Really weird atmosphere.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
MYOB said:
Finn Harps vs. Celtic, in a friendly. This time, it was Finn Harps who put out the reserve team

I gave up counting after the tenth goal and left around the 15th. Although apparently Harps pulled two back because Celtic just let them score

That reminded me of a Scottish reporter who was covering Peterhead v Fort William in the Highland League, the year before Peterhead got proper league status. He spent the first half in the bar (as he usually did) and thought people were winding him up when they told him that seven goals had been scored ... he managed to catch the last 25 minutes of the game which finished Peterhead 15 Fort William 0 (a Highland League record) and had to spend the next few hours asking fans and officials, who scored and when and how they scored ... so he could write a match report to sell to the nationals!!!

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Stranraer vs Queen of the South in a pre season friendly. I was catching a ferry to Belfast the next day and for some reason I thought it was a good idea. I left after about 20 minutes wondering what the f*** I was doing.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
CHarity game that was supposed to be Albion-based pre-season a few years back now. A midget played up front. He'd been one of the Ewoks. There was also a Norman Wisdom impressionist.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Meade's_Ball said:
A midget played up front. He'd been one of the Ewoks.

There is a midget who lives near me in Horsham who was an ewok and in Willow and Time Bandits. Also made appearances in Little Britain.

Wonder if its the same bloked.

He is a pint sized legend.

Jul 20, 2003
Richie Morris said:
There is a midget who lives near me in Horsham who was an ewok and in Willow and Time Bandits. Also made appearances in Little Britain.

Wonder if its the same bloked.

He is a pint sized legend.

Warwick Davies?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Good thread. A game can be strange for many reasons, as shown on here.

One of mine would definitely be the Longford v Brighton pre-season friendly, I haven't ever seen such an ill-tempered game, even more bizarre given the lack of importance of the fixture. It was also very funny. Micky and DK were forgiven the cancelling of the tour since the Galway racing festival came off the bench to play a stormer.

And I'll never forget how I felt watching the Heysel Euro Cup final. I was sure the match shouldn't be going ahead, completely surreal.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Tooting Gull said:
One of mine would definitely be the Longford v Brighton pre-season friendly, I haven't ever seen such an ill-tempered game, even more bizarre given the lack of importance of the fixture. It was also very funny. Micky and DK were forgiven the cancelling of the tour since the Galway racing festival came off the bench to play a stormer.

That was my first Albion match, but I still think the 18-2 match described above was stranger.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Would have to be the Railway Bell Folkestone vs Folkestone YOuth Club.

Was played on a sunday morning an was a freindly in the preseason. It was one of the railwaybell guys stagg weekend and most the team had been on the beer since lunch time friday. They were all still hungover but manged to go in to 1/2 time 10-0 up. At 1/2 time the landlord brought out a case of larger instead of the normal water and the team had a can or two each. Needless to say the second 1/2 was one way traffic and the youth club went on to won 21-12.

mr turd

Nov 22, 2004
READING
The 5 penalty game at selhurst park 89ish:drink:

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Galatasaray v Leeds United.

A football game where not one person in the white of Leeds cared about the game, not the players, not the manager, not the fans. No one. Where Leeds players stood on the pitch and cried, where Leeds fans turned their backs on the pitch.

We went to watch 90 minutes of football, it cost us two of our own. And it was awful.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Brigton -v- Charlton, in the 70s at the Goldstone. The fog came down and you could not see what was going on. :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here