Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the strangest game you've ever been to?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
moggy said:
we had a friendly years ago at the goldsone vs steaua bucharest.
think it was past of the stefan iovan deal.
they were 4 - 0 up at half time. we won 5 - 4.
might be the other way around, can't remember for sure. was funny though :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

That gets my vote too.
A Clive Walker first half hat-trick against team that had won the european cup three or four seasons before. They they scored four to level it, then crumplin lobbed the keeper from just past the half way line to settle it, it was an amazing night

Albion Rob

Probably Man Utd v Juventus Champions Legue semi in the year they won it.

Had gone to LA with an ex anbd we went round a shopping mall and I caught sight of a game going on on a big screen in a sports shop. Went inside and it was the ManUre game (2pm US time). There was a gang of Mexicans watching it and they couldn't believe their luck when a real life English football fan decided to watch the game with them These guys had tattoos on their necks and stuff but were really friendly and helped me go crazy when Giggs scored.

Only time I've cheered a Utd goal and it was good banter.

Jameson

as above:

Longford v Brighton - still a great night out drinking with the Irish people at the game and at the Longford Hotel late into the night...

Athlone v Brighton two days later - which never got played. We went to the ground anyway.....

as per LB - the Cardiff game at the Goldstone

a game in the '70's - a reserves game at the Goldstone where they were selling tickets for the Derby cup game. I think we played Charlton in front of 18,000 that night.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Coca Cola Cup, 1st round 1st leg.
13/8/1997

Brighton & Hove Albion
vs
Leyton Orient.

Our first competitive match at the Priestfield stadium. Arrived quite early for this game and just felt totally lost. I'd never been to Gillingham before and the journey had taken about an hour and a half.
The crowd was 1,073 and it really had all the atmosphere of a non-league game. We got a 1-1 draw with Jeff Minton scoring a penalty. Quite a good result for that season really.
I remember looking around the crappy, crumbling ground with a feeling of dread. This was where I would be spending Saturday afternoons and mid-week evenings for God knows how long. The PA played Coca-Cola ad's over and over again at ear-splitting volume, that was the extent of the pre-match atmosphere. The burgers were boiled and served in foil wrapping with half-cooked onions, the toilet was a wall you pissed up against.
I just wanted to go home. Then I remembered that this WAS home.
Dark days.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
bellsize seagull said:
most definitely the Albion v Blackpool away last easter time, very weird got beat 3-1 and the game was a bit of a blurr the ground was so spacious and i found myself looking around more than at the game !!!
was at that game and fealt the same

gutted i spent £20 to sit in the ground when i could of just sat on the bridge for free and got a better view

dougdeep said:
Watching Spurs play in the Inter-toto cup at the Goldstone. They were trying to lose to a Swiss team to get out of the competition. Their team was made up of reserves and players they had borrowed. The Swiss lot won 2-0 if I remember rightly.

FC Luzern it was (I thinlk and to think they actually brought away fans with them:lolol: :lolol:

In the league, it would have to be the 4-5 defeat at Sheffield Utd.

We were 3-0 down at half time, 4-3 with five minutes to go and we still managed to throw it away.

and then we went to the Sheffield beer festival:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Brighton vs Southampton in a reserve game in 1985 when I was a kid. It was so foggy, we could not see half the pitch and were unaware that Southampton had scored two goals in the second half.

We won 4-2 (not 4-0 as we thought). I got Perry Digweed's autograph afterwards! :clap2:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
The Wookiee said:
Fans United

Brighton v Hartlepool

Great memories and a 5-1 victory!!!!!!!!
Your memory's not that good cos I don't remember Hartlepool scoring. Then again, I don't remember us scoring either cos it was so damn foggy!

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
mr turd said:
The 5 penalty game at selhurst park 89ish:drink:
That is the one i`m going to choose as well. I`ll never forget that we kept missing our pens to give you half a chance. What was it still 2.1 Palace i think. :clap2:

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Vicar! said:
Would have to be Swindon 4 Albion 0 abandoned after 65 minutes! (1977) Game played on a sandpit under an inch of water. Absolute madness starting it, O how we laughed....!

Vicar!

and re won the rematch 2-1:lolol:

moggy said:
we had a friendly years ago at the goldsone vs steaua bucharest.
think it was past of the stefan iovan deal.
they were 4 - 0 up at half time. we won 5 - 4.
might be the other way around, can't remember for sure. was funny though :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

It was the other way around. They put out their reserves first half and we went 4-0 up. Then they brought on their first team and brought it back to 4-4. Johnny Crumplin, Football Genius scored the winner with a rasping long range shot. Quality!

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
dougdeep said:
Watching Spurs play in the Inter-toto cup at the Goldstone. They were trying to lose to a Swiss team to get out of the competition. Their team was made up of reserves and players they had borrowed. The Swiss lot won 2-0 if I remember rightly.

I went to that aswell, although I've no idea why ???

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It'll have to be three

Firstly the penalty game at palace, already mentioned above

Secondly the Lewes 5 Redbridge 4 NSC sponsored game just before Christmas. Redbridge 4-0 up inside 30 minutes. Lewes then missed a penaly but scored just before half time and came back in the second half to win. 8 out of the 9 goals were right in fornt of us.

Thirdly, going back a few years to 1986, the Chelsea v Man City Full Members Cup Final at Wembely. The memory is a bit hazy. The result was 5-4 to Chelsea but they were 4-0 up with not long left then I think City came back to 4-4 but Chelsea then scored the winner. There seemed to be about 4 goals in injury time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here