Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the seriously bestest and smartest place to lunch midweek in B&H?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Only three Michelin stars in all of Sussex. One each at...

Curlew, Bodiam
Ockenden Manor, Cuckfield
The Pass, Horsham

I am surprised by that because when we had a pub in Midhurst there was a restaurant Goudi's there that was voted no 2 in the UK in a Times poll. Mind having said that we left Midhurst in 2001 and as such chefs change and consequently so do the restaurants that they work in.

Last edited:

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I drove past this place in Maresfield a few weeks back, could be worth a look...... but a long drive out towards Eastbourne way. Part of Marco Pierre White's 'brand'.

Marco Pierre White - Wheeler's at the Chequers Inn

Surely afternoon tea at The Grand is the place to go (in fact why not go to a hotel restaurant, rather than a 'stand alone' one?)

Seagrrl

Jan 22, 2012
Hove
Brighton does okay, but this is all. If you look across the whole spectrum of dining then we are certainly lacking in the true fine dining, true gastro stuff and the more imaginative cooking you see these days. I have also always been surprised we do not have a single michelin star to our name.

Always been surprised about this as I think Graze, Drakes and Gingerman are the equal of a lot of 1 stars I've eaten in. I do wonder if it's a more relaxed style of service we like in Brighton that puts the Michelin reviewers off?

Having family oop north I still think we have a decent amount of variety and quality, even if we don't have a star restaurant, compared to other cities our size.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just tried to look up Goudi's in Midhurst it doesn't appear to be still there, perhaps somebody in the area can confirm this. It was in Red Lion St, gthink it was called running from th back of The Swan to thge chippie in North St and my old pub which is now a pizza place.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Not exactly a flood of great restaurant recommendations in B+H are there ? Our city could do better. Agree that Havana Spoon is pretentious and over-priced - while Pascal's is reasonable and more stylish. Havana in Brighton always feels like a good option though.

Went to Havana Spoon for lunch last week. Had the light plate for £5.95. They can't possibly be described as overpriced. Decor is superb and will impress anyone. Odd post really as Havana Spoon and Havana are the same people and the Spoon staff really unobtrusive!

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
I drove past this place in Maresfield a few weeks back, could be worth a look...... but a long drive out towards Eastbourne way. Part of Marco Pierre White's 'brand'.

Marco Pierre White - Wheeler's at the Chequers Inn

Surely afternoon tea at The Grand is the place to go (in fact why not go to a hotel restaurant, rather than a 'stand alone' one?)

I used to use this place a few years back. It was very good. Apparently there is another a pub in Fletching which is also v good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here