Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whats The LATEST You've Got To A Game?

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Yesterday must have been some kind of record.. 79minutes gone +3minutes of injury time.

Set off from Brighton, got to about Northampton at 17.00, just 29miles from The Walkers Stadium on the M1. A massive crash somewhere (still dont know what happened) and at 20.35 the road reopens.

We thought about turning round and going back, but the 15mile tail back going southbound seemed stupid, so we floored it to the stadium. We parked rather suspectly in the retail car park and ran to the turnstyle.

Having got there, the steward refused to let us in because we didnt have a ticket. His excuse was "they stop selling tickets at half time." We had to begwith him saying we had no choice as we were sat on the M1 car park for 3 and a half hours. He just shrugged his shoulders. I blagged that we rung ahead to say we were coming and they would let us in.

He got his collegue over, who said, "why you being like that, theyve come all this way." He let us in, I shock his hand, I wanted to hug him and kiss his face.

We got to the bottom of the stand where our fans were based, they gave us a rousing round of applause, and we got to the back of the stand and started a few chants singing our hearts out, and 14 minutes later the full time whistle went and it was time to turn round and drive home :dunce:

Pretty much every fan stayed to applaud the team off, still singing at the top of their voices :albion:

The Leicester fans were booing a draw that put them TEN points clear at the top of the league.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
you were unlucky mate, the crash happened at about 4.45pm so a few minutes earlier and you'd have got through.

we got passed before they closed, stopped traffic. there was fuel all over the place.

i got to ipswich away with about 20 mins to go, they had opened the gates to let the fans out so we snuck in without anyone saying anything.

The last game against Donny at Belle Vue. There were only four Albion fans on the train that we travelled on that got held up near Peterborough, thanks to an ill-timed suicide.

We eventually got to Donny station at about ten past three. Share a taxi to the ground? That would be much quicker. Maybe it was. But there was still twenty minutes to wait before we got moving.

We eventually got to the ground, just as the half-time whistle blew. Ray Bloom (for it was he who was one of the four) paid for the taxi. He wandered off towards the directors' suite, leaving the remaining three of us with the problem of blagging our way into the away end.

Mr Jobsworth Steward was his usual helpful self. "Too late. The turnstiles are closed". Fortunately, his more imaginative mate came to the rescue. "Come with me, I'll see what I can do". He found an emergency exit and spoke to his colleague on the other side. "You won't want to be paying the full rate for only half a game, will you?" I slip him a tenner and in we go.

Shite second half. We missed Trolley's goal.

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006
The last game against Donny at Belle Vue. There were only four Albion fans on the train that we travelled on that got held up near Peterborough, thanks to an ill-timed suicide.

We eventually got to Donny station at about ten past three. Share a taxi to the ground? That would be much quicker. Maybe it was. But there was still twenty minutes to wait before we got moving.

We eventually got to the ground, just as the half-time whistle blew. Ray Bloom (for it was he who was one of the four) paid for the taxi. He wandered off towards the directors' suite, leaving the remaining three of us with the problem of blagging our way into the away end.

Mr Jobsworth Steward was his usual helpful self. "Too late. The turnstiles are closed". Fortunately, his more imaginative mate came to the rescue. "Come with me, I'll see what I can do". He found an emergency exit and spoke to his colleague on the other side. "You won't want to be paying the full rate for only half a game, will you?" I slip him a tenner and in we go.

Shite second half. We missed Trolley's goal.

make that 5 on that train - had to pay full price from the thieving bastard on the gate for 45 mins of shite...

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
held up near Peterborough, thanks to an ill-timed suicide.

The pedant in me is struggling to think of an example of a well timed suicide. :p

but back to the point of the thread, I was on the Costa express that arrived at Turf Moor at half time with the Albion losing 3-0. I stomped up to the turnstile prepared only to pay half price and ready for a row, only to have the wind taken out of my sails as the Chairman had told them to let us in free.

The game ended 3-0 so I spent 14 hours on the coach to see 45 minutes of goaless football and an Albion defeat :shootself

Kukev31

Feb 2, 2005
Birmingham
Got to the win over Leyton Orient two seasons back about 20 minutes late, thanks to a delayed train. Luckily didn't miss any of our 4 goals.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My latest arrival was similar to Lord Bracknell's, but longer ago, also to Donny.

The train I was on broke down somewhere and as I was engrossed in the paper, it was a while before I realised we were going to miss the kick off. Grabbed a taxi with a couple of others who were on the same train and got to the ground shortly before half time, where I met up with a couple of friends I didn't know were going. We lost the game 2 - 0 and I think I'd missed both goals. Not sure of the year, but I guess I was working for BR at the time to have gone on my own by train, so it must have been pre-1988.

The biggest problem of the day was that I hadn't a clue how to get back to the station, as I hadn't been paying attention on the way! Found it in the end, though.

half tine twicwe at Gillingham, f*** yups with the trains, to see wonderful Hartlepool and Doncaster.

Second time, a copper watching me being stopped by a steward, came over, said, "he can come with me", walked me in and took me to the seats.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
Not sure what season but sometime in the early 80's I was on the Costa Express which broke down on the M25 en route to Forest for a midweek match. The driver thought the coach was beyond repair and we'd have to return home so 4 of us (including the Taxman) walked along the hard shoulder a couple of miles until an exit and walked a mile or so further into Rickmansworth. From there we got a train to Luton. Finding there was no way to reach Nottingham by train before kick off we hailed a taxi to take us. I seem to remember it was going to cost about £70 (not sure if this was each). As we didn't have enough money the taxi had to take us to a cashpoint first. We then set off on our way but didn't arrive at the match until a few minutes before half time. To cap it all, as we got our half time pie, who should appear but the rest of the people on the coach, which had been repaired, so our epic journey had all been a complete waste of time and money :shootself

The pedant in me is struggling to think of an example of a well timed suicide. :p

We've had this discussion before. My view is that if someone is selfish enough to commit suicide by jumping in front of a train, my response is going to be all about the effect this has on ME.

It's what the deceased would no doubt expect.

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
Not sure what season but sometime in the early 80's I was on the Costa Express which broke down on the M25 en route to Forest for a midweek match. The driver thought the coach was beyond repair and we'd have to return home so 4 of us (including the Taxman) walked along the hard shoulder a couple of miles until an exit and walked a mile or so further into Rickmansworth. From there we got a train to Luton. Finding there was no way to reach Nottingham by train before kick off we hailed a taxi to take us. I seem to remember it was going to cost about £70 (not sure if this was each). As we didn't have enough money the taxi had to take us to a cashpoint first. We then set off on our way but didn't arrive at the match until a few minutes before half time. To cap it all, as we got our half time pie, who should appear but the rest of the people on the coach, which had been repaired, so our epic journey had all been a complete waste of time and money :shootself

I was on that coach as well (unless this happened on the way to Forest twice!!).

Seem to remember we were waiting fro a replacement coach to arrive from Brighton, then suddenly, the coach was fixed and we were on our way, arriving at half time, and getting in to the match for nothing. Think we lost 4-0 that night.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
We've had this discussion before. My view is that if someone is selfish enough to commit suicide by jumping in front of a train, my response is going to be all about the effect this has on ME.

It's what the deceased would no doubt expect.

Totally agree. Selfish is the word I would also use when thinking of the lasting effect that the late jumper's actions would have on the poor train driver and their own family.

But whilst it would be selfish whenever it happens, it would perhaps only be untimely if it stopped me making kick-off.

p.s. I am rather sickened that I have allowed my pedantry to get me embroiled in such a tasteless debate :nono:

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
notts county in what i think was peter taylors 1st away game got caught in traffic on the m1 and got to the ground just before ht but had to wait until ht to get a ticket.why we were stood outside county took the lead and straight at the start of the 2nd half they went 2 up before gary hart and zamora (i think) pulled it back to 2-2

also got to barnet at ht for the emeka ifeagwa (or whatever he was called) game when it was absolutley pissing down.i got drenched watching 45 minutes !

fair play to brett and his gang though but at least they got there in the end

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Forest away, League Cup, late seventies, sat on a train near Kettering - never saw the game.

I was on one of those trains as well.

The latest I actually got to a game was Wolves away at half-time a few seasons ago. The traffic was murder just after christmas.It was 1-1 at half time. Missed both goals.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Nijmegen, probably. Got to the ground well before kick off, maybe 20 minutes. But the Dutch police thought it would be funny to make you show your passport on the way into the ground. Yeah how many people take their passports to football. :rolleyes:. Ended up just catching O hara's goal ( About 17 minutes in). Dutch C'unts broke the zip of my Harry Jacket too. :angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here