Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the difference between Brighton and Pace so far...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Cough ..muters "ZDS cup" under breath..choke.
If only you could see the irony. Like some testosterone filled teenager, looking across at the ladies, with a cocky smile and nodding while muttering under his breath 'I've got an iPhone', like anyone would be impressed. The top four clubs never entered the ZDS, it's a small cup, nothing to feel smug about.
But at least we don't have "And Smith Must..." snore.....
What's wrong with nearly beating Utd?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
What's wrong with nearly beating Utd?

Well look at the United side you NEARLY - choke - beat. They achieved NOTHING else did they? Whereas in 1990 we fought off the first of Fergie's superteams (having beaten them 2-1 in the League earlier in the year at Old Trafford, sounds familiar?) to draw 3-3 in one of the "Classic" finals, after one of the "classic" semi-finals at Villa Park, and lost a (horribly boring, admittedly) replay by one solitary goal.

Now take last wek. We beat the Premiership champions on their own ground on Wednesday and drew unluckily against Derby thanks to a defensive error two days later.

Albion lost against Liverpool at home and then only drew against Leeds. Hardly a better record, is that?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Now take last wek. We beat the Premiership champions on their own ground on Wednesday and drew unluckily against Derby thanks to a defensive error two days later.

Albion lost against Liverpool at home and then only drew against Leeds. Hardly a better record, is that?

Swings and roundabouts innit. The Liverpool team were much stronger than the Man Utd team, but then we were at home. Leeds are also better than Derby and we were seconds away from winning that after coming from 2-0 down. But as I say, swings and roundabouts.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well look at the United side you NEARLY - choke - beat. They achieved NOTHING else did they?
FA cup winners in 83 and 85. They were a lot better than us, and the fact we nearly beat them is hardly something we're embarrassed about is it.
Whereas in 1990 we fought off the first of Fergie's superteams (having beaten them 2-1 in the League earlier in the year at Old Trafford, sounds familiar?)
Familiar? I don't know, was your winning goal in 1990 offside - did they field a team of reserves? Superteam - wasn't it thanks to Palace that Fergie kept his job, as up until that final they had been poor.
You did well to beat Utd - even though they had their reserves out, and you won due to an official error (that's just a fact) it was still a good effort by Palace. You weren't unlucky to draw with Derby, your goal was only scored thanks to a deflection, and had you not have scored the own goal Derby could have put the great cross in. Derby had plenty of the ball and plenty of the chances, they were not at all lucky to get a point.
The Liverpool side we faced was full of first team players, so no shame. You've done well to get to the semis and given the choice I'd rather we were there, but unless you win it it's no big deal. If you do go and win it, although it's not as big as the fa cup it would be a great trophy for teams of our size, so I will congratulate you. Until then, there's not much to celebrate.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The difference is Dougie KNOWS what it means and Poyet DONT. The rest is DETAIL.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
FA cup winners in 83 and 85. They were a lot better than us, and the fact we nearly beat them is hardly something we're embarrassed about is it.
Familiar? I don't know, was your winning goal in 1990 offside - did they field a team of reserves? Superteam - wasn't it thanks to Palace that Fergie kept his job, as up until that final they had been poor.
You did well to beat Utd - even though they had their reserves out, and you won due to an official error (that's just a fact) it was still a good effort by Palace. You weren't unlucky to draw with Derby, your goal was only scored thanks to a deflection, and had you not have scored the own goal Derby could have put the great cross in. Derby had plenty of the ball and plenty of the chances, they were not at all lucky to get a point.
The Liverpool side we faced was full of first team players, so no shame. You've done well to get to the semis and given the choice I'd rather we were there, but unless you win it it's no big deal. If you do go and win it, although it's not as big as the fa cup it would be a great trophy for teams of our size, so I will congratulate you. Until then, there's not much to celebrate.

Forgot about 1985 tbh.

It wa generally felt that if Palace HAD beaten Utd in 1990, Fergie would have been out of a job and Coppell installed instead. History really would have changed. There was a move to chuck Fergie after our win there in the League that season.

Re Derby that depends on who you support. I thought we deserved to win, but then I would...

Agree that the League Cup doesn't rate like the FA Cup but it would at least be better than the ZDS!

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Back to only 2 points..Dougie always gets us motivated against his former other clubs, he had a bad time at Forest for a couple of seasons in the late 1990's.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If only you could see the irony. Like some testosterone filled teenager, looking across at the ladies, with a cocky smile and nodding while muttering under his breath 'I've got an iPhone', like anyone would be impressed. The top four clubs never entered the ZDS, it's a small cup, nothing to feel smug about.

Not really. "I've got an iPhone" would be the equivalent of winning the Champs League. The ZDS cup would be...."I've got a HTC Desire".

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I get by with a simple mobile, no camera built in, no nothing. And I just use it for texting and to listen to Albion games on FM. Sadly Palace games on FM don't get this far.

Still keep mislaying it though...

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Back to only 2 points..Dougie always gets us motivated against his former other clubs, he had a bad time at Forest for a couple of seasons in the late 1990's.

But not Leicester sadly, one of our "bogey" sides, especially the play-off Final at Wembley in 1996. That w@nker Claridge kneed the Foxes into the Premiership in the last minute of extra time.

So it's one plus point now....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here