Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the best last gasp goal the Albion have ever scored?

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
For me number one has to be the Wilkins last minute free kick. When he shot I was half way up the North Stand, about 5 seconds later I was in the North penalty area along with thousands of others going absolutely mental. It doesn't get better than that.

Virgo's header came very, very close as did Buckley's against Donny, simply because it was the perfect climax to a great day.

Then there's a whole host of great, late winners of which Buckley's against Forest is just one:
- Mark Barham (I think) in injury time at home to Portsmouth (89/90 ish?) were were 1 nil down with about 5 mins left and won it 2-1
- Bridcutt's fantastic volley against Carlisle last season
- Sammy Morgan (I think) turning a 1-0 defecit into a 2-1 win sometime in 76/77 against Chester (again - I think. I was only about 11 but remember going mental as quite a few of us went on the pitch from the south terrace)

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Not all that important result-wise, but very dramatic:

Home to Sunderland at the Goldstone late 1970's, 1-0 down and into injury time. Eric Potts scored twice in 2 minutes to win 2-1! Anyone else remember it?
Either you and I are remembering the same thing badly or it's possible that we had more than one such escape that season!

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Wilkins without a shadow of a doubt.

Byrne through 1 on 1 with the last defender gets fouled and is down for seemed an eternity. Play restarts about five minutes later and the Barnsley game was already over and they think they've pipped us to the last play off place. Up steps Wendy and clips one into the top corner!! Goldstone goes bananas, mega pitch invasion. Can't even remember if the game restarted, I guess it must have.

One thing I can remember is the from the end of season video (yes video, ask you parents kids!) is the Steward in front of the away fans on the east terrace going bonkers. Great times! We then went on and destroyed Millwall but the less said about Notts County the better.

Virgo's comes close to matching that and I'll agree at the time Buckley's was mega but that was written in the stars though.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Just because no-one's mentioned this one either -

Gary Williams scoring with a volley (?) from a corner in the last minute at Sunderland, a goal which meant we only had to beat Leeds at home in the last game of the season to stay up (we did). Sunderland thought that goal had sent them down, as they would then need to win at Anfield on the last day (incredibly, they did).

Leosayer

Aug 25, 2011
Kent
got to be Wilkins vs Ipswich.
Not quite last minute but the 2 goals by Case and Ritchie in the last 10 mins to come back to 3-3 with Liverpool in 1981 were pretty special - I remember being absolutely drenched standing at the front of the the old West Stand

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Just because no-one's mentioned it so...

Lee Steele's 93rd minute winner against Bristol City at Withdean.

That was tops. I remember thinking when it went in, that's it, we're going up! He was offside too, wasn't he?!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Not all that important result-wise, but very dramatic:

Home to Sunderland at the Goldstone late 1970's, 1-0 down and into injury time. Eric Potts scored twice in 2 minutes to win 2-1! Anyone else remember it?

Yeah, was there. Not sure how far into the second-half he was brought on, but to score two in the last 2 minutes when we'd been 1-0 down must make him the best Albion 'super-sub' ever!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Has to be Virgo's for me. Probably my favourite football moment of all time.

It's gotta be up there... definitely one of my favourite all-time Albion moments. I remember saying to people at work the next day, how often do moments like that happen in the life-time of supporting a football club?

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
I don't know about anyone else but I always felt that goal vs donny was gonna happen, bridcutts last year as well as Sandaza and the obvious Virgo.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Just because no-one's mentioned this one either -

Gary Williams scoring with a volley (?) from a corner in the last minute at Sunderland, a goal which meant we only had to beat Leeds at home in the last game of the season to stay up (we did). Sunderland thought that goal had sent them down, as they would then need to win at Anfield on the last day (incredibly, they did).

I went to that Liverpool v Sunderland game as I couldn't get to Brighton, so it was the next best thing. Closest to a FIX that I had seen up to then. Bob Paisley, Liverpool manager, from the north east, etc, etc......

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
At Leeds, at Leeds Graham Graham Pearce. He gets the ball he always scores Graham Graham Pearce oh and about 20 yards offside in the '80s when you didn't get out of Leeds alive even if they did win.

We did. I was in the Leeds end with my kids as they did not do concessions for away fans in those days. Trouble was Pearce scored down the other end - but the adrenalin surge wrmed up a cold day !

BHAryan

BHAryan
Feb 8, 2011
Worthing
no matter how good a goal you can never celebrate it like a last gasp winner, its almost a way of celebrating a win when you were sure its a draw.. for me
1. virgo v swindon
2. buckley v donny
3. bridcutt v carlisle

a random one would be barnesy v exeter last year..never looked like winning, played SHTI for the whole game and bang

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here