Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the best footwear for these icy pavements?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The pavements in Preston Park are totally unwalkable-on this morning. Every single pedestrian is walking down the road. Bit of grit would have been nice.

Its the same here, I live on a hill as well so I dare not even leave the house, I can't even go out in the car because the wheel just f***ing spins everywhere and the car does move, only slides around a little bit.

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
Why are the council not re-filling the (empty) grit bins? Been out and had to abandon the car, as we cannot get it back up the hill. We’ve not seen a gritter all morning, the roads are sheet ice, and there is large accident down on the A23/A27 roundabout, madness, it was not unexpected.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Lots of pople complaining about lack of grit - but they can't grit every road AND pavement, there's simply not enough of the stuff!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i was told once high heels were the best, effectivly a nice spike to cut into the ice. dont fancy trying it myself though, but it follows the best footware for grip is golf shoes.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Lots of pople complaining about lack of grit - but they can't grit every road AND pavement, there's simply not enough of the stuff!

Brighton's a hilly place. The entire population is having to walk on the road today. That can't be right. God alone knows how many broken limbs there's been around town today. The Argus is going to have a field day with this.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Three days and no buses in Lower Bev. It was ok swinging a day off on Friday but will it wash again tomorrow, more than 3 days since snow fell?

Bus routes not gritted up here.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I attempted to cycle home from the pub in the blizzard, until I thought better of it. There were cars on the road and they were driving blindfold and would not be able to stop in time. Trouble is I did not know where the pavement and the road joined cause of the snow and I virtually had to guess.

Shoes with tread make a difference. I had to change into Wellington boots to stand up on the pavements today.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Is that in Southwick though? Relatively flat isn't it? It's not about pensioners going arse over tit in Brighton. It's about ANYONE who tries to use the pavement.

Its EVERYWHERE Ive walked since Thursday which includes Southwick, Hove, Brighton and Haywards Heath.

And you obviously dont know your Sussex geography very well, Half of Southwick is on a huge HILL!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
And you obviously dont know your Sussex geography very well, Half of Southwick is on a huge HILL!

Fair enough. My only experience of Southwick has ever been the late lamented Glastonwick Beer Festival, which used to be held in the Summer. Dimly recall it involved some kind of downhill stagger to the station at the final whistle, and was invariably less than sure-footed on the descent. On such occasions though, I consider the council to be entirely blameless.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Fair enough. My only experience of Southwick has ever been the late lamented Glastonwick Beer Festival, which used to be held in the Summer. Dimly recall it involved some kind of downhill stagger to the station at the final whistle, and was invariably less than sure-footed on the descent. On such occasions though, I consider the council to be entirely blameless.

Ive driven along the road you walk down to the station from the Barn and it was ok, Icy yes, but still passable.

Like Ive said on every thread on this subject..

IF YOU ARE SENSIBLE THEN YOU WILL BE OK!

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Shor-ted

Attachments

• Fracap Scarponcini Boot brown leather.jpg
    Fracap Scarponcini Boot brown leather.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 387

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004