Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the best curry house in Lewes then?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Meeting a mate in Lewes tomorrow night for a catch up, a few beers and a curry. I'm shamefully ignorant of the East Sussex county town's indians, so where's the best place to get a dansak?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'll second that - a great curry house.

Is this the one on the other side of the road to the cop shop? On Goggle Maps it suggests it's on the same side? Curious as I went to one opposite but slightly down the road from the cop shop a while back.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yup it's opposite the police station. The on round the corner on Fisher St is Dilraj and it's nowhere near as good.

Ah yes, it was good from what I can remember.

You better now? Last time we met you werent looking too good.

Last edited:

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Yep....Spice merchants is bloody superb. Try the Shanaz (up near the bottle neck) for an alternative.

There's also a new Thai restaurant called Buddah Belly opened just opposite the lamb in Fisher street...but only getting mixed reviews from there.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Another Spice Merchant devotee here........but can you guys help me with a decent chinese restaurant in Lewes. Are they all shite?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Spice Merchant it is then. Many thanks. What about boozers? The Snowdrop and The Gardeners Arms are the only ones I know that are decent (although the later smelt of farts when I was in there).

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Spice Merchant it is then. Many thanks. What about boozers? The Snowdrop and The Gardeners Arms are the only ones I know that are decent (although the later smelt of farts when I was in there).

The John Harvey Tavern (next to Bills) certainly and maybe the Lewes Arms (near Spice Merchant) should be on yr list.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I like Chaula's a lot , I've only had the buffet in the day , but everyone I know likes it in the evening

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The John Harvey Tavern (next to Bills) certainly and maybe the Lewes Arms (near Spice Merchant) should be on yr list.

Is The Lewes Arms still full of off-duty wizards?

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Another Spice Merchant devotee here........but can you guys help me with a decent chinese restaurant in Lewes. Are they all shite?

I've never been but the Panda garden up the top of town is popular. My choice of Chinese is the Beijing in Fisher street.

You might have to book if you want to go in there for 9ish as it's usually heaving. I get in there at around 11 and still sometimes have to wait for a table

Lots of choice of pubs depending on your tastes for ambience and beer. The john Harvey and the newly re-vamped Volly may have live music on tonight. The Elly always gets busy and the oak is ok if you like Greene King shite. The lamb is...well the lamb really. If you're lucky, you might see the odd ruck in there.

The snowdrop is under new management and is receiving good reviews (it's a bit too far out of town for me)

I find the gardeners and Lewes arms a bit clickey for me with lots of sandal wearing liberal Lewesians frequenting those pubs. It's ok if you don't mind listening to the locals going on about how they've just converted their Citroen 2CV to run on pureed mung beans.

I like Chaula's a lot , I've only had the buffet in the day , but everyone I know likes it in the evening

Again ive never been but from what ive heard, every dish is red hot (spice-wise) Apparently, all the dishes are very small but only cost a couple of quid each and it is more authentic rather than catering for the pissed up Brits palette !!! It always smells devine though when i drive past.

Last edited:

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
I've never been but the Panda garden up the top of town is popular. My choice of Chinese is the Beijing in Fisher street.

Bit put off by Beijing by always seeing the waiter standing outside the entrance having a fag. :smokin:
Must be a market for a good chinky in Lewes.
That Buddha Belly bar any good?

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Bit put off by Beijing by always seeing the waiter standing outside the entrance having a fag. :smokin:
Must be a market for a good chinky in Lewes.
That Buddha Belly bar any good?

Yeah i know what you mean about the Chinky but the food's always good and it's nice inside.

The bar at Buddah Belly is a cocktail bar :thumbsup:

If you go onto Lewes there's some links to various menus, phone numbers etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here