Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the best curry house in Lewes then?

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
The bar at Buddah Belly is a cocktail bar :thumbsup:

So I gather but is it any good. Looks a bit dark and dingy so was wondering if there is any atmosphere in there?

Re atmosphere - thought the procession and fireworks were pretty spesh last night. Seemed like everyone were enjoying themselves.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've never been but the Panda garden up the top of town is popular. My choice of Chinese is the Beijing in Fisher street.

You might have to book if you want to go in there for 9ish as it's usually heaving. I get in there at around 11 and still sometimes have to wait for a table

Lots of choice of pubs depending on your tastes for ambience and beer. The john Harvey and the newly re-vamped Volly may have live music on tonight. The Elly always gets busy and the oak is ok if you like Greene King shite. The lamb is...well the lamb really. If you're lucky, you might see the odd ruck in there.

The snowdrop is under new management and is receiving good reviews (it's a bit too far out of town for me)

I find the gardeners and Lewes arms a bit clickey for me with lots of sandal wearing liberal Lewesians frequenting those pubs. It's ok if you don't mind listening to the locals going on about how they've just converted their Citroen 2CV to run on pureed mung beans.

Again ive never been but from what ive heard, every dish is red hot (spice-wise) Apparently, all the dishes are very small but only cost a couple of quid each and it is more authentic rather than catering for the pissed up Brits palette !!! It always smells devine though when i drive past.

What's the 'Volly'?

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Yep....Spice merchants is bloody superb. Try the Shanaz (up near the bottle neck) for an alternative.

There's also a new Thai restaurant called Buddah Belly opened just opposite the lamb in Fisher street...but only getting mixed reviews from there.

Spice Merchant own the Buddha Belly, Loving Shanaz at the moment but only had takeaway so far

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Yup it's opposite the police station. The on round the corner on Fisher St is Dilraj and it's nowhere near as good./QUOTE]

The Dilraj is excellent. Granted the decor isn't up tp much but i went there last week and the food was superb.

In my humble opinion, Dilraj has always been below par....drab, tasteless food without the approprate amount of heat for that dish (eg absolutely no heat in a dhansak which is traditionally sweet, sour and hot), Next time you walk past the Dilraj, have a look at the amount of people in there....then go to the SM !!!

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
In my humble opinion, Dilraj has always been below par....drab, tasteless food without the approprate amount of heat for that dish (eg absolutely no heat in a dhansak which is traditionally sweet, sour and hot), Next time you walk past the Dilraj, have a look at the amount of people in there....then go to the SM !!!

Will try the SM, thanks for the tip.
It does need a make over and the service could be better but in my experience the food in the Dilraj has always been good. Lots of people use it as a takeaway rather than a sit down which personally I think is a shame. Try the chicken naga. I had one last week and it was great: very tasty and very hot.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

You're a man who knows his Dhansak.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Cheers guys. FYI I had a few beers in The Snowdrop, The John Harvey and The Volunteer followed by a lamb dhansak in The Spice Merchant. None disappointed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here