Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whats the answer to this maths question?

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Aye, this. I can't remember what maths I was taught when I was twelve, because I'd already learnt it myself (being a bit of a nerd) so never paid any attention. But I can't believe they're teaching some "dunce maths" that will have to be unlearnt in a couple of years. What for? To make it "easier"? :nono:

I don't think it's a case of "dunce maths", the only way to teach anything complex is by starting out simple then adding the compexities. For example, in chemstry, the model of the atom is hugely simplified. It becomes more accurate at A'level, and then more accurate still should you wish to take studies further at Uni.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I find it amazing that so many of the 'mathematicians' on here cannot conjour up some logical explanation why BODMAS is used rather than the more logical sequential left to right method (excepting of course if brackets are actually used). Mathematics is probably considered by many to be a logical science but BODMAS goes against the grain.
(I'm not a mathematician) It seems to make more sense if the order is irrelevant, such that 4 + 5 x 5 = 5 x 5 + 4. Using BODMAS makes solving equations more logical.

AuntAgonist

Plastic fan
Apr 29, 2011
I don't think it's a case of "dunce maths", the only way to teach anything complex is by starting out simple then adding the compexities. For example, in chemstry, the model of the atom is hugely simplified. It becomes more accurate at A'level, and then more accurate still should you wish to take studies further at Uni.

Fair point, but BODMAS (not a fan of that abbrev.) is pretty fundamental stuff and if we can't teach kids the basics at a young age what hope do we have for the future? It's just another case of dumbing down.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Maybe because y3 could be confused with Y cubed?
Not really, because 3y could equally be confused with 3 to the power of y.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Fair point, but BODMAS (not a fan of that abbrev.) is pretty fundamental stuff and if we can't teach kids the basics at a young age what hope do we have for the future? It's just another case of dumbing down.

I dunno, I was at school in the 70s and 80s and back then BODMAS wasn't mentioned at all until O' level (remember them?).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here