Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whats the answer to this maths question?

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Peanut roaster JR. speaking here. (aged 12)

In my opinion I think the awsnser is 1.

This is because in modern maths, which is being taught at school now, BODMAS is a different section of maths rather than a general rule. So naturally in maths you would work out the question left to right... unless you have been notified that the question being asked is to be worked out using BODMAS. In this particuler question you have not been notified of having to use BODMAS.

PS. Can I get into Dick's bar please?! :bowdown:

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing

This is because in modern maths, which is being taught at school now, BODMAS is a different section of maths rather than a general rule. So naturally in maths you would work out the question left to right... unless you have been notified that the question being asked is to be worked out using BODMAS. In this particuler question you have not been notified of having to use BODMAS.

You little sausage!

Your wii fi is now turned off , you git. x

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Better tell that to all the computer manufacturers and programmers in the world, as what you have written is NOT what happens at the moment. Type the question into a cell in Excel, for example, without brackets and see what answer you get.

PS. I suspect your maths teacher has been spending too much time in Dick's bar.
PPS. Why are you still awake at 1:15 in the morning? :smile:

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Its 41.
I put it into excel :face palm: and it comes up with 41. Looks like BODMAS rules. Common sense says 1 in my view but excel says 41. So suppose 41 it is.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
This was a very shitty question if someone was trying to be clever and see who actually knows/remembers BODMAS. Now I hear about it i do remember it so although like Drew I can't see a proper valid reason for it, I can accept that I was wrong in saying the answer was 1 according to those rules.

What pisses me off about this question was the fact that people can get it right just be getting lucky as per the above way of working it out! Even if you didn't know about BODMAS the above calculation is clearly wrong yet people who worked it out like this actually still got the answer right!

It wasn't lucky at all!

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Better tell that to all the computer manufacturers and programmers in the world, as what you have written is NOT what happens at the moment. Type the question into a cell in Excel, for example, without brackets and see what answer you get.

PS. I suspect your maths teacher has been spending too much time in Dick's bar.
PPS. Why are you still awake at 1:15 in the morning? :smile:

I bet you were a playground bully!

A load of big boys on here gave the same answer, and yet you choose to knock down a young lad, who entered the debate, and gave a well thought out and reasoned response to the said debate.

He started with In my opinion, and then went on to explain, quite well I thought, why he would come the answer of 1, because of the teaching methods at his school.

Yet you, between the lines, are calling him a liar, by saying this '' as what you have written is NOT what happens at the moment''.

He is saying that is what is happening at the moment, within his current Math teachings at his school.

He never went big Billy bollocks about it, just putting up his opinion, and his reasoned arguement, and yet you shoot him down like that.

For the record, I believe the answer to be 41, and I also believe he debates better than your goodself.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
The answer is 41. As people have said, you apply Bodmas/Bidmas or type it into Excel.

Also, is it just me that can't see how this can ever equal 81? Unless people somehow think that 0*1 = 1?!

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

A load of big boys on here gave the same answer, and yet you choose to knock down a young lad, who entered the debate, and gave a well thought out and reasoned response to the said debate.

He started with In my opinion, and then went on to explain, quite well I thought, why he would come the answer of 1, because of the teaching methods at his school.

Yet you, between the lines, are calling him a liar, by saying this '' as what you have written is NOT what happens at the moment''.

He is saying that is what is happening at the moment, within his current Math teachings at his school.

He never went big Billy bollocks about it, just putting up his opinion, and his reasoned arguement, and yet you shoot him down like that.

For the record, I believe the answer to be 41, and I also believe he debates better than your goodself.

Sadly I think your son would get stick from any of us older folk on here for an incorrect answer to that question - even if he did start with an explanation. (Forgive me for also thinking that it was you paraphrasing your son - and not him actually on here) Any teacher who is teaching a fundamental change in the way maths is learnt is very alarming to alot of people, and in my personal opinion doing our youth a disservice. So you'd have to expect a little back chat to be fair.

Personally I didn't think the response was billy bollocks about it, it was just someone elses opinion, just as they are entitled to.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Sadly I think your son would get stick from any of us older folk on here for an incorrect answer to that question - even if he did start with an explanation. (Forgive me for also thinking that it was you paraphrasing your son - and not him actually on here) Any teacher who is teaching a fundamental change in the way maths is learnt is very alarming to alot of people, and in my personal opinion doing our youth a disservice. So you'd have to expect a little back chat to be fair.

Personally I didn't think the response was billy bollocks about it, it was just someone elses opinion, just as they are entitled to.

Read my reply again Tedebear, I never said the reply was big Billy. I said that Roaster Jnr didn't give the big Billy, therefore wasn't deserved on this occasion of a bully boy put down.

As for back chat being deserved, all Roaster Jnr is telling everybody is the way the teaching methods are at his school concerning BODMAS.

FFs, don't shoot the messenger.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

I am sorry if I offended and came across as billy big bollox. That was not the intention. I apologise to you and your son for any offence caused. I was not calling him a liar, just trying to point out, in a rather ham fisted way I agree, that this is not how all the computers in the world work.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Read my reply again Tedebear, I never said the reply was big Billy. I said that Roaster Jnr didn't give the big Billy, therefore wasn't deserved on this occasion of a bully boy put down.

As for back chat being deserved, all Roaster Jnr is telling everybody is the way the teaching methods are at his school concerning BODMAS.

FFs, don't shoot the messenger.

Whatever - but if you read my post again I'm saying it wasn't a bully boy put down.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
I am sorry if I offended and came across as billy big bollox. That was not the intention. I apologise to you and your son for any offence caused. I was not calling him a liar, just trying to point out, in a rather ham fisted way I agree, that this is not how all the computers in the world work.

Fair play to you. and thanks for the reply. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here