Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's so attractive about Burnley?

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
We could ask this another way.

Is there anything wrong with staying at BHA at the moment?

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
Burnley is at the centre of the football hotbed that is Lancashire. If you're a young and ambitious player that has to be a major attraction with regular scouting missions from all the top northern clubs and the fact that football is the way of life for many people. I think we are at a disadvantage location wise and brighton is the opposite to burnley in many ways.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hi chaps,

Bit of an admission, I'm a clarets fan living in Brighton. Just to comment that we have no money, we've actually lost several players to clubs simply because of the wage structure we have in place.

There's no way we'd be playing big money because we don't have it.

I think you'd be surprised. All things are after all, relative.

We are a club not long since out of League One, with a wage structure that is evolving quickly, but from that base. You were in the Prem a couple of years ago, are still recieving parachute payments (£8m this season), and have the cash from some big sales (Rodriguez, Austin..Ings to follow?).

I have it on VERY good (Burnley) authority (admittedly second hand) that the offer from Burnley in August was a MASSIVE wage increase, over the new contract we were offering at the time. We have improved our offer since, but were unable to 'come close' to what yourselves or Leeds were offering.

richzl

Jan 18, 2011
Becouse he's been chase out of Brighton like a giant witch hunt. Would u not want go some where u appreciated instead of heavily criticised every game? Some people my regret it when he's gone

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Top manager? STRONGLY disagree. Your teams' tactics were piss poor when you visited this season. He's average!! He might get you up though, good luck to him.

Barnes is only going for the money, and for a fresh start. And Burnley are in a great position for promotion.

I can't comment on our game with Burnley as I wasn't there but Dyche is doing a brilliant job this season having lost his top goalscorer.

He also did very well at Watford before being shafted by the new owners. I don't see what else he could have done to impress people in his very short managerial career so far.

I also love his gravelly tones.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Three and a half years of guarnateed income, possibly a pay rise too, what's not to want for a professional footballer?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Hi chaps,

Bit of an admission, I'm a clarets fan living in Brighton. Just to comment that we have no money, we've actually lost several players to clubs simply because of the wage structure we have in place.

I'm very chuffed with Barnes, I think he was motivated by playing more first team football, plus Dyche has a good rep as a coach.

I'm unsure if we can maintain the form we are in, it's certainly been astonishing to see us near the top. We are very thin with players though, it's amusing hearing this from the clubs around us who have ex-Prem players or internationals on the bench.

Still - we're happy. Obviously Seagulls are my second team, saw you against Leicester. Good display and good result, I think you'll certainly be in the mix come the end of the season.

If you do have a small squad then Barnes is an excellent signing. Not the greatest striker around but can do a very good job in a number of attacking positions and will do each one to the best of his ability, every game.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
What was Barnes on at Brighton? I could try and find out what our wage cap is but I think our current ceiling is 10k (and I am confident only a couple of players are on this).

As for the "where has the money gone" questions. Well - it seems that Coyle nearly bankrupted us the season we got into the Prem. It's only really coming out now just how in the mire we were. The Prem money has helped ease a lot of debt but we've been looking to work within our means, which isn't much when you look at our attendances. We are hopeful that we'll break even this season.

We do have a small squad, until Barnes signed we only had three strikers at the club (the third being Ryan Noble who doesn't look like he will last) so he'll definitely feature and I think one of the reasons we signed him was because he'll be able to fit into either the Ings role or the Vokes one.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'd be very surprised if your wage ceiling is £10k a week, to be honest.

No idea what Barnes was on here but I'm fairly sure you're probably going to end up paying him more than that.

Personally, I'd massively prefer to see Burnley take one of the promotion slots over QPR (ridiculous squad, Redknapp), Leicester (just never liked them), Forest (Billy Davies- say no more) or some late runner like Leeds (just...Leeds). I haven't found Derby offensive yet. They seem to be OK too.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I'd be very surprised if your wage ceiling is £10k a week, to be honest.

No idea what Barnes was on here but I'm fairly sure you're probably going to end up paying him more than that.

Personally, I'd massively prefer to see Burnley take one of the promotion slots over QPR (ridiculous squad, Redknapp), Leicester (just never liked them), Forest (Billy Davies- say no more) or some late runner like Leeds (just...Leeds). I haven't found Derby offensive yet. They seem to be OK too.

:lolol:

more than 10k a week? :lolol:

Nah.

Eksman

Aug 9, 2012
On the toilet
Does it make us look just a little bit wanky to start disparaging Burnley over this?

I'm sure it has it's social issues like any town, no doubt there are a few rows of boarded up terraced houses on sale for £50k per street (thought I'd get that in before someone else does.

But it's a proper old football town with a glorious history in the game. It punches above its weight, population wise. I've never been to the town, but I do know there is some quite stunning countryside all around that area, which, if I was a quiet, non-nightclubbing, family type like Ashley Barnes, I could quite easily imagine would be a great place to live & bring up kids. House prices are probably far lower than around here, and that combined with the increased salary he'll get will be a plus for him too.

I didn't want to see him go, but I'm not going to get all snobbish about his choice of destination simply because some people can't see why a decent football club like Burnley might have it's attractions.

Since seeing this post I couldn't take any more in....the bracket is still open will it ever end?)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Brilliant. So you judge the entire town on the basis of that. As if nobody has ever been attacked in Brighton on the basis of their ethnicity, sexuality or whatever other reason pops up.

We've said already it probably has at share of social problems. But so soes any town. Has it been voted drugs death capital of Britain yet?

I have not judged the whole town on that single story. But its well known socially, economically, racially, and culturely, Burnley is not doing too well.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

What about the parachute payments? Aren't you still getting them?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here