Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whats going on in this country?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Still never met a nice South African tho eh :lol:

:D Well no, actually the other bloke was as nice as pie. Interesting point though, the nice bloke was of British extraction (Scottish to be precise) and the arse was of Greek heritage. It's unfair to say that all South Africans are obnoxious although some do seem to get to some length to prove the point !

...and that ain't bloody surprising!

I still have all my Micro Disney stuff on vinyl in the attic, had completely forgotten about them. In all seriousness, I have met loads of nice South Africans and am seriously considering moving there when I retire.

So am I, largely because the rest of my family moved there at the start of the 80's and I quite like the place.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
...and that ain't bloody surprising!

I still have all my Micro Disney stuff on vinyl in the attic, had completely forgotten about them. In all seriousness, I have met loads of nice South Africans and am seriously considering moving there when I retire.

That was "We Hate You South African Bastards"; "I've Never Met A Nice South African" was Spitting Image.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I've seen Greeks begging in Greece - they're deaf and/or dumb and bring a card to your table saying so and put their goods on the table - cheap lighters or torches or some other such trinket costing a couple of euros. They're polite and don't cause a fuss if you don't buy but the point is that the greek gov't gives them no money out of their coffers unlike us who bend over backwards to give anybody money.

Got to say I'm quite happy to live in a country that helps deaf and/or dumb homeless people.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I wouldn't argue about illegal immigrants and think we are too soft on them. However there's any number of Antipodeans working here quite legally using a system that is not reciprocated in their own countries.

It bloody is. Thousands of Brits to to Australia on working holiday visas every year. British immigration in Australia has also rocketed in the past ten years

*promisesnottotgetinvolvedinanimmigrationdiscussiononnscagain*

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I think with begging it depends what the local culture is. I always give money to the disabled in thirld world countries because there is no social provision for their care.
It's easy to take the BensGrandad pub bore line, but I always wonder how much of that is a charity begins at home moral stand and how much is it down to being asmall minded tight-fisted git.

I think with begging it depends what the local culture is. I always give money to the disabled in thirld world countries because there is no social provision for their care.
It's easy to take the BensGrandad pub bore line, but I always wonder how much of that is a charity begins at home moral stand and how much is it down to being asmall minded tight-fisted git.

Most people who spout the charity begins at home line are exactly the same twats that never give anything to charity in the first place.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It bloody is. Thousands of Brits to to Australia on working holiday visas every year. British immigration in Australia has also rocketed in the past ten years

*promisesnottotgetinvolvedinanimmigrationdiscussiononnscagain*

Oh I'm sure there are but the thing is Aussies and Kiwis can work here on two of four year visas and I wouldn't call that holiday work. The plain fact is they both get far more money here than they do back home. The South Africans and Zimbabwe people are here because it's no longer the good life for them in the country of their birth. They qualify as members on the British Commonwealth but for whatever reason the same doesn't apply to Canadians. I don't understand why Canadians can't get visas and work permits like Antipodeans either.

However, what I am saying is don't single out Eastern Europeans as they're not the only immigrants here. We do seem to be far too liberal with immigration compared to many of out EEC comrades.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
We just had another Polish person knock on the door trying to sell pictures. Again a note was handed over saying they where ill and needed money.

They say that they get a better life over here, but how can they better off when they need to beg and lie to get money?

I have no problems with people coming to this country to earn a living whatsoever, but what the hell is going when people come knocking on the door.
How did you know he was Polish ? Only last week I checked ID on a customer buying booze who had a Polish national identity card with photo, place of birth and d.o.b. As he went I said "dowy dzenia" (goodbye) and he looked bewildered. 2 Polish girls who were in the queue behind him told me the reason he hadn't replied was because he was Ukrainian.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here