Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whats going on in this country?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I have seen begging all over the World, probably the worst was O'Connell Street in Dublin, was very aggressive and to be honest a little frightening.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I have seen begging all over the World, probably the worst was O'Connell Street in Dublin, was very aggressive and to be honest a little frightening.

I've not seen actual begging on O'Connell Street in some years; rabid anti-whatever campaigners (abortion, hunting, capitalism, war, motorways, you name it) badgering you for your signature and charity muggers yes; actual beggars no. Begging is seriously illegal here and theres a police station on O'Connell Street so they usually go beg someone less patrolled.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
As a matter of polite interest how do you know this person was Polish ? The vast majority of Poles here are working both cheaply and well. I wouldn't argue about illegal immigrants and think we are too soft on them. However there's any number of Antipodeans working here quite legally using a system that is not reciprocated in their own countries. There's also no shortage of South Africans and Zimbabwaens who have moved here to escape from the situations in their countries of origin, the gravy trains there having run out of steam.

More likely Romanian or Bulgarian....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

unnameable

Feb 25, 2004
Oxford/Lancing
The UK is the world's social services department. Didn't you know? I'm amazed that a government can lose control of the borders as comprehensively as this one has and still get re-elected. The people get the government that they deserve.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Actually last year I was working on a team who included a Malayan, a bloke from Mauricious (sorry about the spelling), a Barbadian, a Bermudan, two South Africans and a Rumanian, all legal though, God knows how or why.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Actually last year I was working on a team who included a Malayan, a bloke from Mauricious (sorry about the spelling), a Barbadian, a Bermudan, two South Africans and a Rumanian, all legal though, God knows how or why.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The UK is the world's social services department. Didn't you know? I'm amazed that a government can lose control of the borders as comprehensively as this one has and still get re-elected. The people get the government that they deserve.

Why do so many British people retire here for a pension they can actually live on then ???

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

I knew I was going to be pulled up on this......

I said Romanian or Bulgarian as I thought we were talking abouyt EU members begging and the Central Eastern European link. Sorry to say that Rumanian and Bulgarians don't share the cultural work ethic of the Poles.

But bottom line is... it could be anyone at all

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I knew I was going to be pulled up on this......

I said Romanian or Bulgarian as I thought we were talking abouyt EU members begging and the Central Eastern European link. Sorry to say that Rumanian and Bulgarians don't share the cultural work ethic of the Poles.

But bottom line is... it could be anyone at all

Well the Bulgar I worked with was not only a nice bloke but a hard worker and new his job. I wouldn't generalise though as I couldn't say. I will say that one of the South Africans did nothing but moan about this country and more tha a few people suggested he went 'home'. Sadly it's too easy to generalise though.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
We just had another Polish person knock on the door trying to sell pictures. Again a note was handed over saying they where ill and needed money.

Anybody who gives money to those type of people are just complete idiots!

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I've seen Greeks begging in Greece - they're deaf and/or dumb and bring a card to your table saying so and put their goods on the table - cheap lighters or torches or some other such trinket costing a couple of euros. They're polite and don't cause a fuss if you don't buy but the point is that the greek gov't gives them no money out of their coffers unlike us who bend over backwards to give anybody money.

Exactly Frutos, There's no reason anybody should need to go begging on the streets of Britain unless they choose too.

So in that you would include all our ex-servicemen would you who make up some ridiculously high percentage of the homeless, something like 40% i think it is. All those ex-servicement who have mental health issues have no reason at all?

BB in 'I dont support the UKs ex-servicemen' announcement.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Well the Bulgar I worked with was not only a nice bloke but a hard worker and new his job. I wouldn't generalise though as I couldn't say. I will say that one of the South Africans did nothing but moan about this country and more tha a few people suggested he went 'home'. Sadly it's too easy to generalise though.

Still never met a nice South African tho eh :lol:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Still never met a nice South African tho eh :lol:

...and that ain't bloody surprising!

I still have all my Micro Disney stuff on vinyl in the attic, had completely forgotten about them. In all seriousness, I have met loads of nice South Africans and am seriously considering moving there when I retire.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here