Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's caused the downfall of this country?

What's the cause?

• Education

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • Drugs

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Rap music

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • Teenagers

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Alcohol

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Violence

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Blacks

Votes: 44 24.7%
  • Tony Blair

Votes: 46 25.8%
  • Single Mums

Votes: 19 10.7%
  • The Iraq War

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
You are right, and look at the example given by our head of state, the Queen. Four children and three failed marriages. I don't necessarily blame her as it is the way she was brought up as well.

As for Simmo, perhaps he should learn to read. I did not blame Thatcher entirely. I included the tories that followed her and I said 'help cause', not were the sole people responsible. However, it is a bit simplistic to blame legislation making divorce easier. There is a lot more pressure on families than there used to be and you have a lot more working mums than before which adds to it. You can't stop them working because most of them need to work just to survive.

Thatcher encouraged individuals to increase their own wealth. There is NOTHING wrong with this.

University lecturers/teachers say this led to a breakdown in society because they(are predominately left wing) hate Thatcher and now you repeat it. It is not individual wealth creation that causes breakdowns in society, this is irrelevant. It is the breakdown of the family unit which is the fundemental building block of all societies. The ability to divorce has become much easier, due to legislation, since the beginning of the 1900's

Pressures on working mothers (caused by Thatcher, no doubt), absolute nonsence. My mother had a full time job years before Thatcher came into power.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
yeah right, she lead us to victory over a couple of islands in the south Atlantic against and inferior military whereas Churchill, sorry, I forget what he did, something to do with WWII.
while i would agree with you that churchill was the greater prime minister , your post denigrates the achievement of our forces in the falklands which are over 8000 miles away, and the argentinians had the advantage of months to prepare defensive positions , and in general prepare themselves.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The downfall of this country is people over the age of 40 going on about how good it was in their day.

As much as a lot of people talk about it " The good old days " never really existed because people have allways moaned.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
The Welfare state pumping billions of taxpayers pounds into the pockets of masses of lazy workshy losers. This in turn created a new social class of people that thought not working was a good thing I guess they are the Workless Class.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
And that is the reason kids carry knives and kill each other!!!

That's quite possibly culture.

Australia never had a knife culture until firstly the Italians arrived and then after that the Vietnamese.

Both cultures where knife attacks are far more prevalent than Australia.

This shouldn't distract from the greater good both cultures brought to Australia, but it shouldn't be ignored that bad elements of other cultures also arrive with the good.

I always remember in the movie The Untouchables Sean Connery's famous quote about the Italians "Isn't that just like a wop.... brings a knife to a gun-fight.... "

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The Welfare state pumping billions of taxpayers pounds into the pockets of masses of lazy workshy losers. This in turn created a new social class of people that thought not working was a good thing I guess they are the Workless Class.

This does raise a good point.

In a marketing journal I read there was an article about generations and the signifigance of each i.e Baby Boomers, Generation X,Y,Z

What the article went on to discuss was the dificulties that are arising from bosses who are Baby Boomers and Generation X having to deal with the far for want of a better word lazier and want everything for nothing classes within the Y and Z generations.

Didn't paint a pretty picture for the future in regards to being a productive and efficient nation in reagrds to work and industry.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
while i would agree with you that churchill was the greater prime minister , your post denigrates the achievement of our forces in the falklands which are over 8000 miles away, and the argentinians had the advantage of months to prepare defensive positions , and in general prepare themselves.

Sorry if I caused offence, it was not intended and I do recognize the job done by the whole of the task force.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
f***ing rough papa docs got the hump and the ton ton macoute are after me.
hows life in dreamland where you are ?
FINE five bedroom house, decent enough solid job, fit wife, nice couple of kids. Not bad thanks. :thumbsup:

But seriously, people have ALWAYS moaned. The country has always had problems but it's not really going downhill.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
FINE five bedroom house, decent enough solid job, fit wife, nice couple of kids. Not bad thanks. :thumbsup:

But seriously, people have ALWAYS moaned. The country has always had problems but it's not really going downhill.
i come across as more aggressive than i mean to be sometimes for a start, i know people have always moaned but i think we are staring so many social problems in the face that we already are going downhill and unless radical , root and branch reform is carried out in a whole host of places then we will not recognise this country in 20 years.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
i come across as more aggressive than i mean to be sometimes for a start, i know people have always moaned but i think we are staring so many social problems in the face that we already are going downhill and unless radical , root and branch reform is carried out in a whole host of places then we will not recognise this country in 20 years.
But you wouldn't recognise the country from 20 years ago, when racism and hooliganism was rife at football grounds, sectarian violence haunted the British Isles, food was crap and overpriced, unemployment approached 4 million and it was tough shit if you hated smoke being blown in your face.

So you'll need to be more specific. What root and branch changes do you recommend, and what are you hoping to change?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Thatcher encouraged individuals to increase their own wealth. There is NOTHING wrong with this.

University lecturers/teachers say this led to a breakdown in society because they(are predominately left wing) hate Thatcher and now you repeat it. It is not individual wealth creation that causes breakdowns in society, this is irrelevant. It is the breakdown of the family unit which is the fundemental building block of all societies. The ability to divorce has become much easier, due to legislation, since the beginning of the 1900's

Pressures on working mothers (caused by Thatcher, no doubt), absolute nonsence. My mother had a full time job years before Thatcher came into power.

Marvellous, lets illegalise divorce and solve the problems of the world.!!!!!!!!!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This does raise a good point.

In a marketing journal I read there was an article about generations and the signifigance of each i.e Baby Boomers, Generation X,Y,Z

What the article went on to discuss was the dificulties that are arising from bosses who are Baby Boomers and Generation X having to deal with the far for want of a better word lazier and want everything for nothing classes within the Y and Z generations.

Didn't paint a pretty picture for the future in regards to being a productive and efficient nation in reagrds to work and industry.

What we actually need is a welfare state that is fully means tested. Not every pensioner needs a winter fuel allowance and not every parent needs child benefit. The Welfare state is not perfect but what is the alternative. It just needs to be run better. There are examples of benefit fraud but that doesn't mean everyone on benefit is a cheat and a malingerer. The vast majority are probably not.
We need a fairer tax regime where by the rich pay proportionally rather than now where some of the super rich are able to avoid paying tax. Of course, none of this would be necessary if the Government take Simmo's advice and just abolish divorce!!!!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
But you wouldn't recognise the country from 20 years ago, when racism and hooliganism was rife at football grounds, sectarian violence haunted the British Isles, food was crap and overpriced, unemployment approached 4 million and it was tough shit if you hated smoke being blown in your face.

So you'll need to be more specific. What root and branch changes do you recommend, and what are you hoping to change?

There is a difference from then to now.

20 years ago those planting the bombs in London often used to give you a call to clear an area before it blew up and you knew exactly why they hated the English.

20 years on there's a new kid on the block planting bombs except this time you don't get a call and you don't really know exactly why they hate you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here