Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's a 3G pitch and who can't train on it and why?

dac1980

Sep 20, 2011
Gus on the club website:

"We were in a great hotel last night but when it's that good it is very difficult for us to re-book another 20 rooms for tonight.

I've heard there may be rooms available here....Travelodge, how hard can it be?

As mentioned by most the 3G surface can punish niggling injuries as you don't get as much give as a natural surface but has come on massively over the last 5 years or so. I train on 3G, we have a couple of players that can't always train as they have joint issues!!! the bounce and roll are very true, I think that these type of pitches will get better and possibly become the norm in the future. (they also have one at Brighton Uni behind the Amex and Old Varndenians play all year round on it as do Ashurst Wood at the East Grinstead Sports Centre)

cjwoolven

Jun 4, 2008
As said above, 3G is forgiving but not as soft and as easy to turn as on grass. I've got a left knee problem that repeatedly comes up when playing on 3G often.

Exactly the same but with my right knee (left footed), and it is surprising. When playing 3G it feels like im 10x more likely to aggravate it, whilst on grass and indoors, im fine.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've stopped there and I reckon the bill for 30 odd payers and staff must have been around £4K to £5K for one night - I'm not surprised they hadn't got 20 rooms for a second night. Guess they will have to slum it at the Ramada instead :)

About half that, I'd suggest.

£5k would be £170 per head, for DB&B. They are sharing twin rooms, and would have got a decent price for taking 15/20 rooms.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Wonder what will happen when smaller clubs such as Wycombe and Aldershot are allowed to use 4G pithces and then drew a home tie in the FA Cup v a big side who hated it due to injuries....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Could he not have contacted a local non league side of Rymans League standard and hired their facilities for the day or gone begging to Sir Alec to use one of their training pitches.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Why would we need a party of that size? Don't you mean 20-odd? Don't tell me the WAGS have gone too!

The numbers came from Gus but it doesn't seem totally OTT:

20 players (18 to play plus a couple to allow for training injuries) + Gus/Tanno/Charlie+2 fitness/physios+Press Officer + 2 kitmen++2 Directors =30?

Phoenix Arrow

Mitoma Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2009
Sverige
As said above, 3G is forgiving but not as soft and as easy to turn as on grass. I've got a left knee problem that repeatedly comes up when playing on 3G often.
Yeah, when I used to play on 3G, it really messed with my ankle. I don't know why, it was fine on normal astroturf and grass but on that stuff it played up a lot. Something to do with the give in those pellets I imagine.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Could he not have contacted a local non league side of Rymans League standard and hired their facilities for the day or gone begging to Sir Alec to use one of their training pitches.

I presume that was a joke after what Gus said about Evra!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here