Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What would you do differently then?

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Adams performance second time round left most fans bemused and bewildered. He seemed confused and distracted and I can only believe that there were other issues ( non-footballing ) that played a part in his demise. . He should have gone at Christmas 2008 but a win at Swindon prolonged the agony for another 6 weeks.
Slade is a recognised fire-fighter, without possibly having the expertise or respect to construct a long-term campaign. He should have gone after the 4-2 home defeat to Stockport. The team had clearly collapsed with 11 goals conceded in 2 games but he was allowed to carry on for another 11 games. ( Norwich showed how ruthless you have to be in football...after a 7-1 defeat they decided on a change, so the new manager had 45 league games to put it right. )
Bloom has gambled on an inexperienced manager and must take the blame if we get relegated. He stated that he wanted Championship football by the time Falmer is ready but he has decided to give a managerial novice a chance to cut his teeth on a squad of players that are barely good enough for Div.1.
When Poyet took over, the players were neither fit enough nor disciplined enough. It was obvious that the whole defensive unit needed changing.
IMHO the changes have not been drastic enough. Every successful team is built from the back, and I believe that Poyet and his defensive coach should have concentrated solely on this.
Poyet has proved unable to change the mindset at home, fundamentally, the single biggest problem we are faced with. There has not been a single home game this season, where we have put in a disciplined 90 minute performance. He is changing players and tactics all the time in an effort to change things but we cannot defend a one goal lead.
We could get relegated with the worst home record in history and a brand new stadium just round the corner. On the other hand we could survive and start moving forward as a club.
I am the last person who wants to see another management change so we have to trust in Gus learning quickly from his mistakes and the players responding accordingly.

excellent summary of our current situation. top post

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Not at all Clarkey.

I can't believe that I get back from football and there is so much negatvity expressed on here.

As I understand it you get relegated when you cannot better the points and goal difference total of the team 5th from bottom, not on the second weekend in Feb.

I make no secret of the fact that I was a Micky Adams man, people on this board seem to be beating, unfairly in my opinion, Gus Poyet with the same stick.

I said on the same weekend last year, we wouldn't go down, and we didn't and I think the same 52 weeks on.

And as Poyet said on Thursday night at Burgess Hill if we do go down he won't hide and will take all the blame, will the same be said for the others?

Yea we didn’t go down last year Harty, only thanks to big Lloyd though.
Who is goin to be the hero this year? I can’t see anyone stepping up to save us this time around.. Unless of course Gus and Foz kiss and make up. If they don’t i fear the worst. That’s not being a pessimist, that’s being a realist. The table doesn’t lie and our home form is beyond dire.

I just have to hope that the Elphick comment was a joke because otherwise you are seriously unstable. I would be surprised if anyone else thought that Elphick was capable of playing anywhere else then his current position.

IMHO I think we are moving in the right direction. Both the new full backs have made a difference. Painter is comfortable on the ball and Caulderon can get forward and is also comfortable in possession. We need a bit of tweeking. An experienced centre half and a goal scorer. Our current forwards seem great at linking play etc but have little clue in front of goal.

Not a joke - Elphick spends most of the time wandering forward - so I'd say let him try being a midfielder - 'try' in the reserves, and if he's any good put him in. He's not good as a defender, simple as that. So - if you think his current position is the one he's good to fill, then it's you who is unstable mate.

As for "moving in the right direction" - what does THAT mean?? We lost at home again, against another side who had no right to take a point by the way they played. That's the same as it has been. Before this we've taken what, 3 points from 4 games?? What "moving" do you perceive us to be making, in any direction other than down?

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Not a joke - Elphick spends most of the time wandering forward - so I'd say let him try being a midfielder - 'try' in the reserves, and if he's any good put him in. He's not good as a defender, simple as that. So - if you think his current position is the one he's good to fill, then it's you who is unstable mate.

As for "moving in the right direction" - what does THAT mean?? We lost at home again, against another side who had no right to take a point by the way they played. That's the same as it has been. Before this we've taken what, 3 points from 4 games?? What "moving" do you perceive us to be making, in any direction other than down?

If you cannot tell that the standard of play (although still by no means good enough yet) has improved enormously since Gus arrived you should probably try and follow a sport that you understand.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
If you cannot tell that the standard of play (although still by no means good enough yet) has improved enormously since Gus arrived you should probably try and follow a sport that you understand.

That sums it up.

We are getting better and results will follow. Poyet is excellent and will get us up the table soon.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If only if only if only.............we had 2 central defenders who were consistent and could concentrate for 90 minutes. Against Leeds I think I would go with el Abd and Virgo....maybe.

But if were in Poyet's shoes that is where I would be looking to do something different

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here