Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What would you do differently then?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I think if there was an initial weakness from Gus it was to overestimate the abilities of players in League 1. Dont forget he spent his entire career playing at a more sophisticated level and probably expected that any player can be coached/educated to that standard.

At our level, not only are players less gifted physically, but they have smaller footballing brains (dont confuse this with intelligence).

I suspect that a lot of what Gus is asking for in terms of tactics and positioning on the field of play is well over their heads. Gus seems clever enough to adjust, and we will come good.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It wouldn't be popular with the fans and many would argue not the most vital of transfers, but I'd get a couple experienced journeyman who can hold the game, kill time, keep us vigilant at the back. They might be slow, they might not have much moving forward and they might be at the end of their career, but a couple experienced players who can keep it simple in defensive midfield positions would be a great help. We've had a few over the years who can keep their head and everyone elses.

No. Robbie Savage. Case rests.

Keep what we've got and get them fighting for each other. Someone else made the point elsewhere that a champion team will beat out a team of champions. People may point to what our young team under Wilkins have gone onto, but the reality is they fought together as a team, and that drove us beyond our ability.

What we need is a team spirit, a team ethic, and I don't think we necessarily get that from bringing in more players.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Blaming Adams for the teams plight is soooo last season, the only person to blame for this seasons problems is that bald f***ing clown Salde. By totally f***ing up the pre season with the gelling bollocks which led to losing at home to the likes of Stockport, Walsall and Oldham has caused this losing at home mentality. If we had beaten those 3 which we should have done we would be sitting ok in mid table and nobody would be worried about going down.
Now all we can do is back Gus 100% with no meddling from the likes of Barmy Lloyd and hope we stay up.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Blaming Adams for the teams plight is soooo last season, the only person to blame for this seasons problems is that bald f***ing clown Salde. By totally f***ing up the pre season with the gelling bollocks which led to losing at home to the likes of Stockport, Walsall and Oldham has caused this losing at home mentality. If we had beaten those 3 which we should have done we would be sitting ok in mid table and nobody would be worried about going down.
Now all we can do is back Gus 100% with no meddling from the likes of Barmy Lloyd and hope we stay up.

As usual Ernest speaks sense.

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
Adams performance second time round left most fans bemused and bewildered. He seemed confused and distracted and I can only believe that there were other issues ( non-footballing ) that played a part in his demise. . He should have gone at Christmas 2008 but a win at Swindon prolonged the agony for another 6 weeks.
Slade is a recognised fire-fighter, without possibly having the expertise or respect to construct a long-term campaign. He should have gone after the 4-2 home defeat to Stockport. The team had clearly collapsed with 11 goals conceded in 2 games but he was allowed to carry on for another 11 games. ( Norwich showed how ruthless you have to be in football...after a 7-1 defeat they decided on a change, so the new manager had 45 league games to put it right. )
Bloom has gambled on an inexperienced manager and must take the blame if we get relegated. He stated that he wanted Championship football by the time Falmer is ready but he has decided to give a managerial novice a chance to cut his teeth on a squad of players that are barely good enough for Div.1.
When Poyet took over, the players were neither fit enough nor disciplined enough. It was obvious that the whole defensive unit needed changing.
IMHO the changes have not been drastic enough. Every successful team is built from the back, and I believe that Poyet and his defensive coach should have concentrated solely on this.
Poyet has proved unable to change the mindset at home, fundamentally, the single biggest problem we are faced with. There has not been a single home game this season, where we have put in a disciplined 90 minute performance. He is changing players and tactics all the time in an effort to change things but we cannot defend a one goal lead.
We could get relegated with the worst home record in history and a brand new stadium just round the corner. On the other hand we could survive and start moving forward as a club.
I am the last person who wants to see another management change so we have to trust in Gus learning quickly from his mistakes and the players responding accordingly.

I'd take the whole defense out and use Bennett in the midfield, put Whing back there with McNulty and start playing forwards who have killer instinct on the front of the opposing goal and NOT keep chucking crosses over so predictably to the far post or hoping for ANYTHING to happen in the 6yard box all the time.

See if Elphick can make the grade as a midfielder or else get him out altogether (because he's shite as a defender), and go back to starting Cox as the 'feeder' midfielder that he's so bloody good at. I'd put el-Abd alongside/just behind Cox in the middle, and quit playing this scatterbrained formation with ex-forwards as defenders every week.

I might also take on the 9 contracts before the end of the season, because anyone willing to commit to us now would have to be nuts - or rabid Albion through and through.

Oh...and NO FANCY DAN COLOURED BOOTS! Black or you can bugger off home until you sort your head out.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
changing the subject,harty how did your team do today,?no more hassles i hope

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

Spot on Ernest.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston

Rochdale,i agree with you 100%.:thumbsup:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Oh...and NO FANCY DAN COLOURED BOOTS! Black or you can bugger off home until you sort your head out.

:lolol:

You made a lot of good points, but that one was absolutely spot-on!

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
changing the subject,harty how did your team do today,?no more hassles i hope

Called off, but my mate's team played against Arundel who arrived at Palatine park and informed him that the offending parent had been banned until further notice.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
thats great news,bet his son is well proud of him,shame its a problem i feel that is getting worse,not better even after the big respect campaign

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I'm not sure there's a lot he can do. Our attacking problem is in a game weeither don't create enough chances or don't finish the ones we do create. Defensively our problem is concentrating for the entire game, we have at least one defensive shoot ourselves in the foot moment per game. I don't know that it's possible to coach this out of the team anymore, so I guess it needs a steller job of squad building in he summer.

Guess shouldn't have to come out and ask for patience at this stage, it should be a given.

Exactly - we need a clinical forward to convert a very high % of chances. The back 4 are much much better, but we still need a back 4 that play 90 mins without a major mistake. Improvements in midfield have been made already.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
I'd take the whole defense out and use Bennett in the midfield, put Whing back there with McNulty and start playing forwards who have killer instinct on the front of the opposing goal and NOT keep chucking crosses over so predictably to the far post or hoping for ANYTHING to happen in the 6yard box all the time.

See if Elphick can make the grade as a midfielder or else get him out altogether (because he's shite as a defender), and go back to starting Cox as the 'feeder' midfielder that he's so bloody good at. I'd put el-Abd alongside/just behind Cox in the middle, and quit playing this scatterbrained formation with ex-forwards as defenders every week.

I might also take on the 9 contracts before the end of the season, because anyone willing to commit to us now would have to be nuts - or rabid Albion through and through.

I just have to hope that the Elphick comment was a joke because otherwise you are seriously unstable. I would be surprised if anyone else thought that Elphick was capable of playing anywhere else then his current position.

IMHO I think we are moving in the right direction. Both the new full backs have made a difference. Painter is comfortable on the ball and Caulderon can get forward and is also comfortable in possession. We need a bit of tweeking. An experienced centre half and a goal scorer. Our current forwards seem great at linking play etc but have little clue in front of goal.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I would move Painter to central defence to add a bit more pace and balance alongside Elphick or Virgo. Calderon I think has done ok so keep him in. Get McNulty back at left back from where he offers us real width and a decent attacking option.

Pair Dicker and Crofts in the middle again.

Murray and Forster upfront.

FLOG GNAW

Banned
Sep 21, 2009
Under Your Skin.
Carole - out
Dicker in for Navarro
Loan bid for Jay Emanual-Thomas
Sort Forster out.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

You have spoiled a perfectly ridiculous and incoherent post with your final point. :laugh:

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Carole - out
Dicker in for Navarro
Loan bid for Jay Emanual-Thomas
Sort Forster out.

Navarro has been one of our best players in recent matches. I would like to see us playing a system with Dicker, Navarro and Crofts behind Bennett in midfield. I think Bennett behind the two strikers and running at the centre of other teams would be worth a try but it won't happen because we would then lose our width and Gus obviously likes playing with wingers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here