Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What would the Goldstone look life if it was still here today?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It struck me looking at the pick on the other thread that I always think of the Goldstone as the way it was, but if we still had it it would no doubt have changed a lot. What do you reckon would have been updated first?

sullyupthewing

Jul 5, 2003
brighton and worthing
it would still be a wreck because the residents would have opposed any major changes to it, instead they got a retail park and burger place that makes there life hell, do I feel sorry for them:nono: :nono:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
sullyupthewing said:
it would still be a wreck because the residents would have opposed any major changes to it, instead they got a retail park and burger place that makes there life hell, do I feel sorry for them:nono: :nono:

My driving instructer asked me to drive in the Goldstone retail park and I refused, explained why and he understood and we went somewhere else. :)

nutter

Jul 6, 2003
Brighton
I reckon that they would have done one of a few things.

1. Put benches ie: like they used to have at wembley in the east terrace and make all the terrace neater so you could still stand.

2 If we had moved up to div one and stayed they would have installed tempory seating in the north terrace so that if we went down it could be a terrace again.

IMHO I reckon they could have done a Barcelona and redevelop by knocking the ground down and digging underground so that the stands on three sides could be about three tiers and then east stand could have a roof because there was that 50 feet tall bollocks with the residents behind the chicken run.

But O well its dream land now.

Can't wait for Falmer!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
A mess that would have been allowed to rot as the West Pier has.

Dandyman

In London village.
Would or could ?

The Peugot garage and other buildings behind the South Stand could have been bought and the ground moved southwards. This would have allowed the redevelopment of both ends of the ground including new stands, changing rooms and facilities.

The East and West stands could then have been converted into modern family and executive stands.

Something in the region of 22 -25,000 capacity would have been possible.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
nutter said:
MHO I reckon they could have done a Barcelona and redevelop by knocking the ground down and digging underground so that the stands on three sides could be about three tiers
Interesting theory, but digging down into the ground to create an extra tier would have been prohibitively expensive, and we'd have ended up with a pitch not much bigger than my front garden (which isn't very big).

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
A 23700 capacity was possible but only by relocating the business's behind the sound stand. Without relocation the maximum all seater capacity would have been around 18500. Plans were drawn up to redevelop the Goldstone in line with the planning restrictions. The East Stand would have had a maximum 3200 all seater capacity while the West side could have held 10500 seats. Later on the club investigated relocating business's behind the south stand to allow 2500 seats above 2500 terracing space at both north and south ends.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It wouldn't have made any difference if we had used the land behind te South Stand. If people can remember, the plot narrowed towards the South, with the East Terrace being only about 15ft deep at that end. Therefore, any move Southwards would have meant a much diminished width available across the plot.

Let's face it, the Goldstone site was as big as it was ever going to get. Under current regulations we would have ended up with an all seater stadium with about 12,000 seat, tops; and that's only if we could have afforded the cost.

Papa:angel:

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Papa Lazarou said:
It wouldn't have made any difference if we had used the land behind te South Stand. If people can remember, the plot narrowed towards the South, with the East Terrace being only about 15ft deep at that end. Therefore, any move Southwards would have meant a much diminished width available across the plot.

Let's face it, the Goldstone site was as big as it was ever going to get. Under current regulations we would have ended up with an all seater stadium with about 12,000 seat, tops; and that's only if we could have afforded the cost.

Your right about the East Stand problems but the plan was to create more space behind both goals, the maximum size of the east stand was about 3200 seats due to Goldstone lane and height restrictions. The board were so desparate for Space they experimented 1 season by making the pitch 1 yard smaller on each side!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Papa Lazarou said:

Agree. I reckon we would have been stuck with a 15,000 capacity (seated) stadium and going nowhere and no chance of trying to relocate to Falmer or elsewhere because we would have been told that 'What you've got is sufficient for a Brighton FC'. As I have said on here before, and controversial though it may be, the Archerlotti did us a favour in respect of forcing the issue of our new ground, and without their bastardish actions we would have never have been catapulted on the road to Falmer.

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
I'd still rather be at the Goldstone than Withdean any day, it would have been better than having portercabins for changing rooms and at least we could have a decent atmosphere. Being at Withdean reminds me of everything that Archer, Belotti and Stanley did to this club. I'd stilll rather be at the Goldstone even if like Cheeky Monkey says that our chances of relocating would not be good.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I wish it still looked like this

:( :( :( :( :( :(

goldstonearial1.jpg
[/IMG]

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
I was at Nou Camp on Saturday and was trying to work out how deep they'd dug. To be fair there's a lot more room around the ground as well. Wasn't very impressed though after Cardiff, trophy room was bit more impressive though.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Much as I loved and miss the old place, I think people do forget that there were a load of Albion fans - maybe a majority, it was hard to tell before NSC - around before the onset of the Dark Ages who said that we would probably have to get a new ground at some point anyway. Look at it: that site wasn't really suitable to redevelop there and needed updating long before the scumbags took over.

It was fairly common to hear it described as the "worst ground in the first division" when we went up. One of Archer and Belloti's biggest crimes apart from profiteering on our home was not to give a shit about how we'd cope without a replacement.

But I reckon that, assuming resources and planning permission were in place, we might well have moved grounds by now anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here