Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What would the Goldstone look life if it was still here today?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Man of Harveys said:

But I reckon that, assuming resources and planning permission were in place, we might well have moved grounds by now anyway.

Have to disagree MoH. What with all the opposition and red tape we've faced locally even trying to find alternative sites in the Brighton/Hove area, and the general lack of suitable sites there is no way we would have got out of a small capacity (sub-15k seated) redeveloped Goldstone. For starters, opponents would have just pointed to our 8k crowd figures when we almost made it into the top flight in the 90/91 season, and if we're now unable to get an easy ride to a new stadium site when we're effectively homeless, what hope would there have been when we actually had a home in the Goldstone?

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
sullyupthewing said:
it would still be a wreck because the residents would have opposed any major changes to it, instead they got a retail park and burger place that makes there life hell, do I feel sorry for them:nono: :nono:

I feel sorry for whoever lived in that row of houses just past The East Stand. Rain or shine, theu used to pitch up with their deck chairs! Brilliant stuff. P'raps that why they didn't want any development that would spoil their view!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Brightonfan1983 said:
Rain or shine, theu used to pitch up with their deck chairs! Brilliant stuff.

Sod the rain or shine, it's not hard to pitch up to see a free game outside your front door every other week!!

They should have been charged the price of a restricted view season ticket or been made to stay indoors with the curtains shut
on match days!
:p

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
ever sice 97 i have found myself making doodles of what we could've done etc etc.

basically i think there could've been a tier put on top of the north stand (think peterborough where they built a two tier main stand with very little depth to work with, steepness is the way forward)...the west stand could've been massive providing we had the capital to buy out the decrepid factories behind. the west stand could hang over the newtown road like qpr have at loftus road (maybe that's not the best example!)...the troublesome east terrace could have a roof that doesn't rise, its just sits horizontal from the back of the terrace, then add benches (as mentioned elsewhere)the roof would have to cut off at the half way line due to the width getting smaller.

the east terrace could also go round that terraced corner like at old trafford and join the north stand.

marvellous scenes.

i bet if we al went back there now we'd be surprised at how small it really was, although, to be fair, i was 13 when i said goodbye.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
ever sice 97 i have found myself making doodles of what we could've done etc etc.

basically i think there could've been a tier put on top of the north stand (think peterborough where they built a two tier main stand with very little depth to work with, steepness is the way forward)...the west stand could've been massive providing we had the capital to buy out the decrepid factories behind. the west stand could hang over the newtown road like qpr have at loftus road (maybe that's not the best example!)...the troublesome east terrace could have a roof that doesn't rise, its just sits horizontal from the back of the terrace, then add benches (as mentioned elsewhere)the roof would have to cut off at the half way line due to the width getting smaller.

the east terrace could also go round that terraced corner like at old trafford and join the north stand.

marvellous scenes.

i bet if we al went back there now we'd be surprised at how small it really was, although, to be fair, i was 13 when i said goodbye.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here