Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What would be your ideal job?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
How do you know about my hat??

It's the damn Butters shirt isn't it, gives me away every time.

:lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
fatbadger said:
Travel-writer.

Paid to travel to all the interesing parts of the world, and the opportunity to spout your opinions on them to all and sundry. Bloody great.

I have a friend who's a travel writer. At the moment she's stuck in Hamburg finishing the Lonely Planet guide to Germany. She's broke, knackered and thoroughly miserable. Travel writing is not as great as you think it is.

I used to think that my ideal job would be working on The Cricketer magazine, and then I started working for it on a freelance basis. They offered me a permament job but the money was less than I could have got on the dole so I told them to sod off.

Perhaps it was a good thing: I met a cricket correspondent from the Express once who told me that he was dreading the England winter tour, he reckoned that after a dozen or so years, the excitement wears off and he was getting bored with cricket.

It's a warning that the jobs that sound great can have their downsides as well.

R2D2

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
edna krabappel said:
How do you know about my hat??

It's the damn Butters shirt isn't it, gives me away every time.

You havent worn it recently, not that I am stalking you or anything....:wave:

Oct 13, 2003
The back of beyond
Gwylan said:
I have a friend who's a travel writer. At the moment she's stuck in Hamburg finishing the Lonely Planet guide to Germany. She's broke, knackered and thoroughly miserable. Travel writing is not as great as you think it is.

I would love to work for Rough Guide/Lonely Planet/Footprint etc. Does she fancy doing a job swap? :bounce:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I like the idea of running a race team preparing and racing historic cars . . . .and also being a part time musician (which I am I guess) but the reality could well mean I get bored of it and never earn a living so I guess Ill stick to applications design engineering and do the racy bit as a hobby-job. could be worse.

I did want to be a doctor when I was 5, an architect when I was 12, RAF when I was 14, rock star from 15-25.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
braders7 said:
professional computer game tester ( they make good money apparently!)

That's the shittiest and lowest paid job in the games industry.

Playing the same level of a game 100 times ain't fun - especially when you have to log everything you do.

Hilton

Jul 5, 2003
Norman, Oklahoma
I would love to be an F1 driver, or any kind of car racing to be honest. I've never got past people I've raced with telling me I should do it properly though sadly.

There's still hope though!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
J Livingstone Seagull said:
I would love to work for Rough Guide/Lonely Planet/Footprint etc. Does she fancy doing a job swap? :bounce:

Believe me JLS, you don't; you really don't. It's nowhere as exciting or interesting as you think.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
jasonkt31 said:
You havent worn it recently, not that I am stalking you or anything....:wave:

Oh. My. God. :eek:

Nah, not really, I just got too many old blokes thinking I'd be sorry for wearing it. I'm saving it for the end of the season, for when it sounds kind of ironic..besides, I have a nice yellow one now.

Lord Cornwallis

Dust my pants
Jul 9, 2003
Across the pond
To spend half the year gathering antique furniture around Sussex during the footie season, and half over here, selling it for enormous profit to gullible yanks. That would be nice.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Watched a programme on Men & Motors recently about a guy who travelled the country compiling a 'Good Brothel Guide'.

He had apparently made a lot of entries and got a lot of 'on the job' experience.

I can think of worse ways of making a living.

:banana:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Retirement - could spend more time in the summer at the hut.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
My ideal job would be secure, well-paid, with a most generous holiday allowance and easy access to pool tables while all your work mates are working their socks off to stop the company from going under

Yup, I'd have LOVED to have been Paul Kitson last season :censored:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Highfields Seagull said:
I'd like a job on the Pools Panel :)

Last year was the fortieth anniversary of the pools panel, so I emailed them (in my professional capacity as a hack, you understand) and asked if I could be on it for a week, on the basis that I knew a bit about guessing who was going to win football matches. They said no. The fuckers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here