Votes: 9 5.1%
  • Something else / something I've missed

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Dont like Harveys and wasnt sure about The Hophead but it could have been the fact that I had it in The Evening Star which I thought was an abysmal pub and everything that could be bad about a pub that had it. I will probably make a decision after trying it again in The Partridge at Partridge Green failing which I shall drink before and after going to the game, somewhere that sells a beer that I like.

Your opinion on Harvey's is meaningless as you have an ongoing elephantine grudge against them, and your attitude to a full, popular pub wth a choice of decent beers (your idea of abysmal, it appears) is seemingly delibarately contrary.

Apart from that, if you didn't want to vote on it, why bother posting - apart from airing your ongoing miseries?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
For the life of me I cannot see how that pub won an award. It is dirty, rough in decor has glasses that need putting through a wash with renovator to remove the film. On a personal note the beer was too cold as it was obviously below 54 F which is what a cellar with real ale should be kept at. The day I went in there the clientele made Wetherspoons look high class. When I first started drinking my dad gave me a tip and I have followed it ever since as it is a good guide. If going into a pub for the first time go to the toilets and see if they are clean if they are not imagine what the areas of the piub you cant see are like.

As regards Harveys I do not like them as a company and their trading principals but that doesnt change my opinion of their beer for which I dont like the taste. Of the local beers I prefer W J Kings of Horsham, who is a decendant of the old King & Barnes, Arun Brewery.

It should be remembered that this is only my opinion and obviously other people will have a different opinion but that is why the British Pub is so popular, because of the varying preferences.

Last edited:

johnhammond

Neither John, nor Hammond
Jan 17, 2008
Utrecht
Heineken or whatever other options there are in bottles as, a bit disappointingly given how there's been so much talk of vegetarian food around the ground, none of the beers on tap inside the stadium are veggie friendly.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
For the life of me I cannot see how that pub won an award. It is dirty, rough in decor has glasses that need putting through a wash with renovator to remove the film. On a personal note the beer was too cold as it was obviously below 54 F which is what a cellar with real ale should be kept at. The day I went in there the clientele made Wetherspoons look high class. When I first started drinking my dad gave me a tip and I have followed it ever since as it is a good guide. If going into a pub for the first time go to the toilets and see if they are clean if they are not imagine what the areas of the piub you cant see are like.

As regards Harveys I do not like them as a company and their trading principals but that doesnt change my opinion of their beer for which I dont like the taste. Of the local beers I prefer W J Kings of Horsham, who is a decendant of the old King & Barnes, Arun Brewery.

Granted, the bogs need a bit of an overhaul, but if anyone knows how to look after beers, it's them. Perhaps it says more about you than it does them if you can't understand why it's such a popular pub.

None of the Harvey's beers? All dozen or so of them? Blimey. That's quite a comprehensive vendetta.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I've gone for Harvey's but as that and Hophead are two of my favourite beers, I'd imagine I'll be consuming a fair amount of both.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
None of the Harvey's beers? All dozen or so of them? Blimey. That's quite a comprehensive vendetta.

I don't like any of their beers either :wave:

Then again I hate all beer or lager. Looks like its crappy Strongbow for me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Granted, the bogs need a bit of an overhaul, but if anyone knows how to look after beers, it's them. Perhaps it says more about you than it does them if you can't understand why it's such a popular pub.

I was always in CAMRA good beer guide in the pubs I ran but attached nothing to it because I do not believe they represent your true everyday drinker. I could tell you many stories of how easily they were fooled over certain beers.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Ah yes, Harvey's No 1

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I was always in CAMRA good beer guide in the pubs I ran but attached nothing to it because I do not believe they represent your true everyday drinker. I could tell you many stories of how easily they were fooled over certain beers.

I'm sure you are the respected authority on CAMRA and could tell us all the tales you wanted.

As for your belief system...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm sure you are the respected authority on CAMRA and could tell us all the tales you wanted.'
As for your belief system...

I don't profess to be an authority on Camra but suffice to say while running my stocktaking company my wife worked in a pub that Camra held their meetings in because the Directors was the best in the area as they said. Only 1 problem the pub did not have any real ale only keg beer as the landlord was in financial trouble and bought whatever keg beer he could get from the wholesalers.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I don't profess to be an authority on Camra but suffice to say while running my stocktaking company my wife worked in a pub that Camra held their meetings in because the Directors was the best in the area as they said. Only 1 problem the pub did not have any real ale only keg beer as the landlord was in financial trouble and bought whatever keg beer he could get from the wholesalers.

And that's all you need to know about CAMRA?

Got you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here