Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] What will be the next panic buy/shortage ?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est retiré.
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Well... I go to Bookers fairly regularly, and each time I've been I've bought a slab of bog roll and kitchen roll. I've got home, then tossed them in the loft. I must have about 120 rolls up there now, so I called a halt to proceedings.

If we do have a shortage, I won't be grasping at it on near bare supermarket shelves - and if we don't, I can use it as and when over the next 6 months.

On the upside, if I have a fire, I'll be able to see my house alight from miles away! :smokin:

There clearly is no shortage of :spam: :lolol:

actually there is!.only small tins were available from asda this week when i did the shopping. that stuff is now seriously expensive - actually costs more than corned beef!!

the substitutes are starting to get worse now for home deliveries. i could tolerate previously them substituting low fat beef mince for regular but this week they sent us TURKEY MINCE! in place of beef..gave it back to the driver.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
the substitutes are starting to get worse now for home deliveries. i could tolerate previously them substituting low fat beef mince for regular but this week they sent us TURKEY MINCE! in place of beef..gave it back to the driver.

YOU FOOL!! Turkey is going to be worth more than silk in a month or so.

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
I just drove past the Abergavenny Arms in Rodmell. The sign outside says something along the lines of:

"Beer shortages expected soon. Panic buy here now"

Made me smile.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I just drove past the Abergavenny Arms in Rodmell. The sign outside says something along the lines of:

"Beer shortages expected soon. Panic buy here now"

Made me smile.

1c3a66cebe90aa1b40608ee1c86e3445.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
the substitutes are starting to get worse now for home deliveries.

When I did this job, last Halloween I delivered to a family with a couple of delightful and excited toddlers, waiting for their pumpkins. I don't think I've ever felt as Grinchy as I handed over the substitutes - a polythene bag of sweet potatoes...

Last edited:

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Hilarious, if worryingly similar to [MENTION=35289]Baker lite[/MENTION]'s 'interests'

But you seem to have run away from answering this ?

Your munchenhausen syndrome is getting worse……..I’m not running anywhere, I just have a fulfilling life to lead, I’m not stuck in my parent’s box room on an 24 hour cycle of NSC and xhamster. Take the dog for a walk and get some exercise.

Back to the point though, everyone is entitled to their view, however sometimes people’s views are simply foolish. The fact UK politicians responsible for the banking crisis in the U.K. reference the episode as the “global credit crisis” is all you need to know……..it’s cute really that some people buy it. Those constant chart topping boys K&K reference that kind of foolishness it in their art……hence my reference.

Ya dig, all about the pound
We the money circle but we don’t play 'round ('Round)
I grew up Asda, mans spitting riddles
Why you think my money ain’t Lidl?
Them broke rappers talking about money (Money)
Telling me you're paralysed like a c-----

In the next few years when energy costs are through the roof because we have spaffed our money on windmills, there will no doubt be a thread on here where some people will say, “yeah, all those windmills would have worked but the Tories stole the f@ckin wind didn’t they”……..no doubt to mutual appreciation amongst the dumb on NSC, or stoopid *****s as K&K would call them.

The straight forward answer will be that we should have kept the coal and gas powered power stations. FACT.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Easy, pick/dig them yourself, together with your potatoes, carrots and parsnips whilst waiting for the queue to die down at your local farm shop

An actual pig in a blanket should be quite achievable this Xmas if you’re willing to pick it up from the farm.

I'm gearing up to start queueing at my local farm shop next Monday. Want me to save you a place (but you'll need to bring your own spade/trowel for the veggies ?)

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Interesting how memory does that to you doesn't it. I would have been too young to be doing homework in 1974, but very clearly remember the fuel shortages that year as we went on holiday to Scotland on the motorail. My parents had to phone my grandad, who had to wire money to the local Post Office because we were running short of cash as petrol was so expensive. In those days you couldn't just pay by card, and the banks in Scotland were different to the ones in England, so cash was tricky to get out as well. Not sure why cheques weren't used, but there must have been some reason.

I think the '78/79 power cuts must have been more indiscriminate then, and less planned - presumably the result of wild-cat strikes at power plants or electricity companies. I also remember being in WH Smiths in Churchill Square spending my Christmas book token when the lights went out and they lit a load of candles!

I remember the three day week and power cuts during the Heath government. I seem to recall we had an away game at Aldershot in mid winter when the KO had to be put forward an hour so that the floodlights wouldn't be needed. That was my first away game.

I don't remember any power cuts in 78/9. I was in my final year of uni and everything was fine. The 'winter of discontent' was a load of old bollocks whipped up by the tory press to favour Thatcher. There was a general election in the spring of 79 and she got in. 'Labour isn't working' - one million unemployed. Thatcher then promply made unemployment worse and used it as a tool for social engineering.

There was a coal strike in the early part of Thatcher's reign and there may have been power cuts then. In any case she quickly capitulated and Scargill got his way. She learned from it and stockpiled coal so that when Scargill went bonkers again she was able to break the miners without the country grinding to a halt due to lack of coal (a sensible strategy because Scargill was a monumental prat). The miners strike was, however, carnage. I remember my dad (socially conservative) outraged to see police atacking unarmed strikers and protesters on the six o'clock news.

All very confrontational times. Blair took the sting out of all that, and the nastiness was kept at bay even during Cameron's time to a large extent. Boris, however, seems destined to bring back the 70s and 80s for us all, the cheeky chappie. And many on NSC are still loving it, gloating about Brexit and telling us that whatbout 'under Corbyn' etc.

Back in my world, I will soon order my free range Christmas turkey from a local farm outlet, and most of Christmas shopping will be done before the start of November. Those of you who voted for British turkey Twizzlers may, however, encounter a shortage. How very sad :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here