Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

what were your thoughts of your visit to Bristol?

Aug 23, 2011
Not so much about the game

more about transport to and from ground
match day programes local news paper
catering in the ground
Stewards and match day staff(turnstile operators?)
pubs in the area

I know about the no backs on the seats

So over to you guys

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Found a very good pub (Orchard Inn) within 15 mins walk of the ground. View from the away end isn't the best- very shallow rake and bloody pillars to block your view. But quite atmospheric with the locals next to you.

Only one exit gate for all of us though so was a pain in the arse waiting for 1700 people to funnel out.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
KFC was very well positioned.

I like the West Country accent in a lady.

Found a very good pub (Orchard Inn) within 15 mins walk of the ground. View from the away end isn't the best- very shallow rake and bloody pillars to block your view. But quite atmospheric with the locals next to you.

Only one exit gate for all of us though so was a pain in the arse waiting for 1700 people to funnel out.

The Orchard is my mate Stuart's pub. It was CAMRA cider pub of the year a couple of years ago. I shall pass on your compliments.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
No backs to the seats, and unable to get a beer. Tried to get back outside and was told we weren't allowed.

Official verdict - Shithole.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The Orchard is my mate Stuart's pub. It was CAMRA cider pub of the year a couple of years ago. I shall pass on your compliments.

Feel free, we found it by accident while we were parking the car, intending to walk to the Nova Scotia or Pump House, but ended up staying there until it was time to wander down to the ground. Huge choice of ciders, some rougher than others :lol:

kjgood

Been there a few times and i dont think they have cleaned the seat for the last five years, they were filthy, no backs as you rightly say, the low roof bounces the sound around which is good though. I think its a cheek to ask £25 for such poor facilities.

But then i think back to last year????????????????

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
I wanna go home, i wanna gooo hoooooomeeee!!!

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
I thought it was quite a poor stadium, compared to other stadiums in The Championships.
My main gripe was not selling Beer in the stadium, we got to Ashton Gate early to have a beer...but all they sell is soft & hot drinks. Poor effort Bristol City!
Also, no bookies in the Away end either.
Those two points could generate a lot of extra revenue for the club.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It kind of reminded me of Swindon, just bigger and with a roof over the end. And slightly less bitter locals.

I don't mind old grounds, Ashton Gate isn't too shabby I suppose, but I did find the poor view very frustrating. At least the unallocated seating was a bonus.

And contrary to the other poster, I don't find Bristol to be a "shithole" at all. There are some cracking parts of it and its not dissimilar to Brighton in many respects (albeit a lot bigger). I hate fans singing "xxxx is a shithole, I wanna go home", it's boring. Plenty of towns/ cities would qualify for that abuse- Hull? Scunthorpe? Luton? Middlesbrough? But not Bristol.

We were even admiring the suspension bridge on our (rather scenic) route home. Been there before, but it truly is a stunning bit of architecture. Yes, perhaps I'm a geek...

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
enjoyed the day,just back,stopped near reading for some drinkies,
the ground isnt the best,and apart from the corner,they dont sing
,and loads left with TENmins to go!!!!!!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
People slagging of Ashton Gate need to take a long hard look at themselves.

No backs on seats? Seats dirty? What are you there for, this is football - not f***ing trinny and Susanna.

It's not the best but it's a proper ground, enjoy it while you can

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I'm sure if we'd lost i'd be sat here complaining about the backs missing off seats, the queue to get out, the lack of away friendly pubs near the ground etc.

But... it's a traditional, old fashioned football ground with a decent atmosphere and for that reason I like it. To charge £25 given the facilities (one burger stall/toilet) and the view was excessive but still, nothing can be done about that.

One complaint, the f*cking drum, how on earth can anyone sit near that every week, It drove me and all around me insane.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Drove from the south - no delays - parked three minutes walk away on a side street free of charge. Took 10 minutes to get away from the immediate vicinity after the game but then flew back to the motorway. All in all absolutely brilliant
Programme was good - didn't bother with the paper
Catering was okay. Not up to Amex standards but the Balti pie was perfectly acceptable and my graandsons said the foot long hot dog was "nearly" as good as the ones at Cardiff. Short queues and speedy service (compared to the Amex) was great
Stewards - had a laugh with the stewards outside - the ones inside were okay - no grief as far as I could see except the one idiot removed when we scored
Pubs - didn't try them
Seats - bloody awful - distinctly painful for back sufferers
fans - had to feel for them as they left in droves before the end but they were still behind the team and made a reasonable noise. They should move the drum to the other end as it felt like it was coming from our fans

briref

Aug 12, 2008
no back to seats
pillars obstructing view of pitch
ten minute walk to get a beer in a tobaco factory with no atmosphere
£5.20 for a burger and a coke - no ketchup though a lid to the coke - not great
proggramme - produced on poor quality paper , not much to read
an hour after the game to get back on motorway

though 3 points and top of the championship

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
well just got back, had a brilliant day, met loads of new (slighty nutty fans) on the Blues Away (definitely my mode of transport for away games from now on).

As for Ashton Gate, a old ground, but hey, we went for the football, not a stadium tour. Good atmosphere, the home fans we nice and loud (well the lot to the side of us).

The grub wasn't brilliant, but they can't all be like the Amex. 1 - 0 to the Albion, was the result that mattered, so al is good in the world, still top of the league....

A happy slinky tonight!!!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Crackin' awayday, I thought.

Got parked up for free by the (already mentioned & rightly commended) Orchard Inn; fairly friendly locals; a bit well-worn but perfectly decent stadium (apart from the irritating pillars); Stood up throughout & Stewards friendly & agreeably low-pro; historic sights to enjoy in & around the city on the drive in & out; no hassles on the journeying front & great company throughout the day from a number of NSC's finest (you know who you are).

Admittedly it wasn't a particularly good Albion performance today, but the boys got the job done in the end & we're still top o' the league.

What's not to like?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here