Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was your favourite season watching the Albion?

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
oatsy said:
Was 90-91 the one when we drew against Leeds 2-2? That was one of my favourite ever games. Leeds took the whole of the east terrace, their keeper got tangled in the north stand goal during the warm up and we even had a pitch invasion. Classic.

And I agree with everything said so far espeically the trip to anfield. Remember when we all though we were out-singing the kop and then about ten minutes before kick off they started, the noise of the scousers blew my tiny mind.

Standing on the terraces, in joe bloggs, talking about the stone roses, gazza and jonny crumplin. Enduring image, isn't it?

I remember that Leeds game well, Ian Chapman scored an own goal in front of the north & Johnny Crumplin equalized late on with a brilliant header.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
cheshunt seagull said:
76/77 for me: promotion; league cup run; Ward and Mellor. Great time to be alive and in the North Stand.

Me too. It will take something special to top that year.

oatsy

Aug 14, 2003
chez said:
I remember that Leeds game well, Ian Chapman scored an own goal in front of the north & Johnny Crumplin equalized late on with a brilliant header.

Yeah I remember it bobbled up and off his shin, almost in slow motion - so painful to watch. Still, classic game though.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
cheshunt seagull said:
76/77 for me: promotion; league cup run; Ward and Mellor. Great time to be alive and in the North Stand.
Ditto. For me that edges out 78/79 because it was all so new and exciting. No other season has come close.

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
cheshunt seagull said:

Same for me Cheshunt. The 7.0 against Walsall on a filthy night with all seven coming in the second half.
P.S. Are you the mad Librarian from H Block.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
64/65 for me. When I was young and stupid.

Open net.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
SULLY COULDNT SHOOT said:
76-77 for Mellor and ward...we've never come close sincefor foward partnerships!!!

78-79 for the sheer joy of getting to the top... St James' Park never to be forgotten!

And between that 77-78 was the most frustrating of all seasons, cos we thought we would make it and failed .....

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
sams dad said:
Same as that for me Doug-
Only I was a bit younger(OK ,only by 3 days) and marginally less stupid:D

Younger perhaps?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
That season is my favourite too.

The Anfield trip was AMAZING as a 10 year old. Although I had already been struck down with Albionitis a couple of years earlier I think my blood officially turned blue and white that year.
Yep ditto in the days b4 wife and three kids, season ticket in the west stand and most away games does anyone remember wolves that season, christ we had to get out thier quick

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Excellent thread.

Given that I have supported the Albion since the 1988/89 season as a 7 year old, the logical choice would be 1990/91 but I'm gonna plump for 1996/97.

Although 91 was amazing, Liverpool at home - being 2-1 up, crying with relief after Deano's free kick went in against Ipswich etc etc 96/97 gives me more memories than the rest of my Brighton supporting life put together.

Okay, so the first few months were horrid, (but as a naive 15 year old I was unaware of much of the politics engulfing the club at the time) the second half was unbelievable, and the sense of unity amongst the Albion faithful that year was breathtaking.

Fans United was simply unbelievable, and my favourite ever Albion memory. What about the absolute whoopings we started handing out when Gritt arrived. 3-0, 3-0, 5-0 - it was incredible. Leyton Orient - 4-4, what a game. Beating Wigan in the penultimate home game of the season to keep us in the hunt.

And finally the most incredible ending imaginable. An hour or so of unbelievable tension followed by the most unbelieveable rush of joy I've ever known. Thank you, Stuart Storer.

I would compare it to a harrowing but gripping film with the most incredibly satisfying and triumphant ending. Thats why its my favourite ever season.

Last edited:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Chesney Christ said:
Given that I have supported the Albion since the 1988/89 season as a 7 year old, the logical choice would be 1990/91 but I'm gonna plump for 1996/97.

Although 91 was amazing, Liverpool at home - being 2-1 up, crying with relief after Deano's free kick went in against Ipswich etc etc 96/97 gives me more memories than the rest of my Brighton supporting life put together.

Okay, so the first few months were horrid (but as a naive 15 year old I was unaware of much of the politics engulfing the club at the time) the second half was unbelievable, and the sense of unity amongst the Albion faithful that year was breathtaking.

Fans United was simply unbelievable, and my favourite ever Albion memory. What about the absolute whoopings we started handing out when Gritt arrived. 3-0, 3-0, 5-0 - it was incredible. Leyton Orient - 4-4, what a game. Beating Wigan in the penultimate home game of the season to keep us in the hunt.

And finally the most incredible ending imaginable. An hour or so of unbelievable tension followed by the most unbelieveable rush of joy imaginable. Thank you, Stuart Storer.

Iwould compare it to a harrowing but gripping film with the most incredibly satisfying and triumphant ending. Thats why its my favourite ever season.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I will go for two:

79/80.... first season in Div One, among the big boys and staying up.

and

82/83.... ok we went down, but we had fun getting to Wembley, I can tell you....

Reinelt 62

Jul 5, 2003
64/65 by a country mile...

68 goals in 23 home games was very nearly 3 a game, 6 past Notts County, 5 to beat Wrexham, Chesterfield, and Hartlepools United (as they were then), culminating in the Championship winning victory 3-1 against Darlington in front of 31,000 + at the Goldstone. Even the drawn games were exciting with a 4-4 against Chester the highlight.

Brian Powney: Mel Hopkins, Bobby Baxter: Jack Bertolini, Norman Gall, Dave Turner: Wally Gould, Jimmy Collins, Bobby Smith, Jack Smith and Johnny Goodchild was just about the regular team with Bill Cassidy standing in whenever anyone got injured.

And despite his star status Bobby Smith was not the top scorer - that honour went to Wally Gould with 21.

These were truly marvellous scenes before the phrase was invented.

I'll be getting me pipe and slippers...

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
On the Left Wing said:
Possibly 1978-79

or even 2000-2001

With you again Nic!!

The first game of the 78/79 season was away at Wrexham and we got on the Seagull Special with high hopes, knowing that we had just missed out the previous season. The 0-0 draw was a bit deflating, followed even more so by a 4-1 deafeat at Leicester in September.

As the season went on, the trips on the Seagull Special got more exciting and the Newcastle trip was one of the best days of my whole life.

Those were the days when I could go every week and The North Stand was just about my favourite place in the world!

Marvellous nostalgic scenes

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Chesney Christ said:
E96/97 gives me more memories than the rest of my Brighton supporting life put together.

Okay, so the first few months were horrid, (but as a naive 15 year old I was unaware of much of the politics engulfing the club at the time) the second half was unbelievable, and the sense of unity amongst the Albion faithful that year was breathtaking.

And finally the most incredible ending imaginable. An hour or so of unbelievable tension followed by the most unbelieveable rush of joy I've ever known. Thank you, Stuart Storer.

I would compare it to a harrowing but gripping film with the most incredibly satisfying and triumphant ending. Thats why its my favourite ever season.

... and I missed most of it because I was at Uni, although I vividly remember listening to the Hereford match on the radio.

So I can't say that season.

I would say 87/88, chiefly 'cos that 19k crowd at the Goldstone for the Bristol Rovers match was the biggest home crowd I've been in, and I remember the celebrations well. But I don't remember much about the rest of the season.

So I'll plump for 00/01. Bobby, Chesterfield. Nuff said.

D

Deleted User X18H

Ex Shelton Seagull said:
Think I might have a watch of the 90/91 season video tonight! Some great moments but also some downright shit ones.

Getting beat 6-1 at Oldham
Losing to 4th Division Northampton in the League Cup
Getting beat 4-2 at home by Middlesbrough.
Getting thrashed by Sheffield Wednesday

Guess those low points just made the season more exciting. You never really knew which side would turn up. The one that managed to lose 2-1 at home to Port Vale, or the one that fought back from 2-0 down at Anfield.

I love watching the North Stand go mental on that video. They always seemed to leave the gate open behind the goal, resulting in constant pitch invasions!
Middlsebrough at home 4-2 Brian Mckenna in goalwhat happened to him.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
1987-88 when we got promoted to the old first with Nelson and Bremner banging in the goals. Also 90-91 season with Walker providing the ammo and Small and Byrne banging them in.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
hiney said:
With you again Nic!!

The first game of the 78/79 season was away at Wrexham and we got on the Seagull Special with high hopes, knowing that we had just missed out the previous season. The 0-0 draw was a bit deflating, followed even more so by a 4-1 deafeat at Leicester in September.

As the season went on, the trips on the Seagull Special got more exciting and the Newcastle trip was one of the best days of my whole life.

Those were the days when I could go every week and The North Stand was just about my favourite place in the world!

Marvellous nostalgic scenes

Takes me back Ian

Espesh after losing out to the Hoddle inspired Spurs

Also met first wife that year and Thatcher got elected - so it also had its downside!!!

But to find ourselves in Div 1 for the first time - after growing up on Div 3 football was something so special

Remember having a mate in Yorkshire that season who was also an Albion supporter and we'd always greet each other in any pub by a shout of SEAGULLS - the locals thought we were barking!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here