Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was your favourite season watching the Albion?

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
87/88 was a great season with Nelson and Bremner up front and we got Arsenal in the FA cup at the Goldstone and got to the late stages of the Sherpa Van and second place to Sunderland. Maybe not the best ever, but for me I had discovered Beer too !!!!!!!!

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Stumpy Tim

Like Curiou Orange I was at uni for 96/7, up in York. I went to the games up there, but the problem was that we won all our home games & lost all our away ones - so I sat through some of the worst football ever, losing at Scunthorpe, Donny, Darlo and all without scoring a goal! So despite the obvious joy at home to Donny (which I went to) and the draw at Hereford (which I didn't) it wasn't that great for me.

I'll go with 90/91 season which just had so many great games - really exciting, and ended at Wembley. Also, my two favourtie Albion players of all time played in that team - Byrne & Chappers.

Second would be the 2nd Div title under Adams & Taylor. Enjoyed that thoroughly

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Oh yes , has to be 76-77 .

Still have a pair of 10-eyelet "blackburn" doc martens worn throughout those 3 wonderfull seasons between 76' & 79" .
Brought them with me to Australia in 82 '. They sit gathering dust
in the cupboard under the stairs . Over a dozen times they've
been taken to the charity shop and over a dozen times they've
come straight back . I now realise I could never get rid of them ,
they hold too many fantastic memories ....,

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
91 for me also. The Liverpool trip was the best day, waving at the scousers as they left early..:lolol:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The season we won the 4th Div championship in the sixties with Bobby Smith (ex England striker) and Jack Smith up front. I believe we scored over 100 goals that season.

lincs seagull

Feb 25, 2004
boston
91 for me as well great season of ups and downs

but to be honest this season is shaping up to be a good one three major scalps already against all odds lets hope we carry on this way

Camp Freddy

Sep 23, 2004
Wiltshire
96/97 for me. It was of course the second worse season in the Albions history and obviuosuly the football was far from "vintage". There was always something going on every game; Mansfiled Boycott, Lincoln pitch invasion, chasing Belotti out of the wests stand, walk out v Hereford and of course Fans United to name but a few.

Nothwitstanding the quality of the football though, what a comeback ! Twelve points adrfit half way through the season to stay up on goal diference at the end. Each game was a cup final and the support was superb. The way everyone pulled together in the face of adversity is what supporting the Albion is all about for me. The championship/promotion seasons are of course all up there with the best, but for pure excitement and unpredicatability and a total Albion experience its 97/98 for me.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
90/91. I'd left home and was a 17 year old living in Hertfordshire. I'd travel to every home game and most of the aways. Fantastic season.

I remember booting someone's gate in, in pure frustration, after losing at home to Bristol City.

Being accosted by some perv in a wooly coat at Kings Cross after Leicester at home. Trains were knackered and I got home at 3am.

Screaming like a little girl when Byrne's diving header flew in right in front of the away end at Anfield. What a goal!

Bomb scare on the coach to Newcastle and the three hour delay at the services. Got to St. James 10 mins before kick off (night game), it pissed down (open end), the crowd was 12,000 (yes, really) and it finished 0-0!!

96/97. Has to be really. Unbelievable tension, spirit, camararderie (spelling!) and some truly abysmal football. Donny and Hereford games etched in my mind forever.

Last edited:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
hiney said:
Votes so far:

1990/91 12
2000/01 6
1976/77 6
1978/79 5
1987/88 4
1964/65 4
1996/97 3
2002/03 1
1979/80 1
1982/83 1

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Must admit I missed most of the 1990-91 and 1991-92 seasons as it was the period when I moved to the North West of Scotland - think I only went to 3 matches over those two seasons. Had to keep in touch via newspaper and radio - didn't even have TV reception for 9 months! But everyone goes on about how brill that 90-91 season was.

I still stick by 1978/79 as the tops for me - although the whole build up to that first promotion through 1977-78 and 1978-79 was also memorable. I don't think any of us could believe how far Peter Taylor and Alan Mullery had taken our club since the early 70s.

But our 2000-2001 season was also something else. The sheer elation that we had come back from the brink to win the 3rd Division Championship and stuff Cheaterfield on the way was fantastic. I remember someone (can't remember whom) on the old NSC predicting in 1999-2000 that we would win the championship the next season .... and he/she was so so right!

Marvellous scenes
:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
1990/91. Favourite memory was the Ipswich game.

After the final whistle a random girl came up and (briefly) snogged me - my first ever.

The fact that my first pull was at the Goldstone Ground is my proudest achievement.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
cheshunt seagull said:
76/77 for me: promotion; league cup run; Ward and Mellor. Great time to be alive and in the North Stand.
Same for me, though 78/79 and 90/91 run it close, as does the div 3 championship season 200/01.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Stumpy Tim said:

Second would be the 2nd Div title under Adams & Taylor. Enjoyed that thoroughly

Yeah, that was a cracker, and being at Uni in Stoke on Trent at the time I got to go to some brilliant away games.

Winning 1-0 at Bristol City, beating Huddersfield just after Micky had left, drawing with Reading but my greatest memory of that season was Bobby's goal at Bury - does anyone remember it? A sublime piece of skill, and the best goal I have ever witnessed in the flesh.

Last edited:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Great thread!

The ending to last season takes some beating for drama and spectacle. Aside from that both of the championships were also a lot of fun:clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here