Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was the first Gig that you went too

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Apparently there's a gig at The Komedia tomorrow, wherever that is, covers of Pistols and The Clash.

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
Transvision vamp down the event 1989 ......Wendy James

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As a child, reluctantly taken to The Jacksons & Boney M concerts at the new Brighton Centre.

First of my own were Gary Numan, Kraftwerk, Ultravox, Stranglers, OMD, SLF, New Order, The Smiths (B'ton Poly 1983), etc
at the Dome, Top Rank, Brighton Centre, Coasters, Portsmouth Guildhall, and a tiny place down West Street now part of Walkabout.

Last edited:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Manchester Palace 1977, Hawkwind doing their Spirit of the Age Tour promoting their last classic album Quark Strangeness and Charm

Went with a buch of 16-17 year old mates and nervously clutching our bottles of Newcastle Brown in the Bar noted lots of leather & denim cut-off clad gentlemen with somewhat sour demeanours. The Hells Angels (for twas they) proceeded to bottle off the support band - a never to be seen again punk band called Bethnal I recall - and then started a massive ruck with security after about 30 minutes. A proper band stop and go off stage, lights go up shindig...... :ohmy:

Hawkwind were great it has to be said, good old mad old Bob Calvert having a coherent night for once.

My next gig (Yes at Bingley Hall Stafford) was a Summer of Love experience by comparison only notable for sitting a few yards from Roy Wood of Wizzard and no, he doesn't wear makeup in real life, he was still a hairy bugger though!

Oct 2, 2008
Ted Nugent Hammersmith Odeon circa 1977. Have little recollection except a wall of noise and being totally deaf on the train home. Only went to keep my mate company !.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Manchester Palace 1977, Hawkwind doing their Spirit of the Age Tour promoting their last classic album Quark Strangeness and Charm

Went with a buch of 16-17 year old mates and nervously clutching our bottles of Newcastle Brown in the Bar noted lots of leather & denim cut-off clad gentlemen with somewhat sour demeanours. The Hells Angels (for twas they) proceeded to bottle off the support band - a never to be seen again punk band called Bethnal I recall - and then started a massive ruck with security after about 30 minutes. A proper band stop and go off stage, lights go up shindig...... :ohmy:

Hawkwind were great it has to be said, good old mad old Bob Calvert having a coherent night for once.

My next gig (Yes at Bingley Hall Stafford) was a Summer of Love experience by comparison only notable for sitting a few yards from Roy Wood of Wizzard and no, he doesn't wear makeup in real life, he was still a hairy bugger though!

Hawkwind headlined at Glastonbury '81 which was my first proper live music experience. They were great but I'm fairly sure Calvert was no longer with them.

Wow, you guys are making me feel old:
Dome-the original Four Tops
Brighton Center-Supertramp
Wembley Arena-Jackson 5 with the real mini black Michael
Wembley Stadium-Live Aid
Hammy Odeon-Poss Peter Gabriel
Concorde 2-Sigue Sigue Sputnik
Jenkinson Bar-Ultravox
The Suite-Boomtown Rats & Martha & the Muffins
First gigs abroad-followed the Steve Harley/ Cockney Rebel tour
The Boomtown Rats played the Top Rank Suite? When was this? When I saw them at the Dome and the Brighton Centre (both 1978 I think) they were far too big to have played that venue.

Last edited:

The aloof gatekeeper

Oct 11, 2011
The Waterboys
Doctor & The Medics
Big Audio Dynamite
Lloyd Cole & The Commotions
Simple Minds

...at Milton Keynes Bowl.

In my defence, it was the 80s. The night of Maradona's Hand of God, in fact. Only found out the score from Jim Kerr.

Next gig is FOE at Southampton Joiners in a couple of weeks.

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
I also saw Paul Samrah doing Bruce Forsyth and Robin Day impersonations in 1972

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here