Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was the first ever coloured BBC programme shown in 1970?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Love Thy Neighbour?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Stingray?

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
I thought the first colour tv broadcast in this country was the Wimbledon tennis tournament in 1967.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Slightly confusing question as there were colour programmes on the BBC before 1970.

The six wives of Henry the VIII aired on BBC1 in colour on the 1st of January 1970, so that could be a good guess.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Just entered Radio comp and will be on air in 10mins. I think it was Doctor who?

Certainly Jon Pertwees first season was filmed and broadcast in colour. On film no less so the quality really shows thru flr the debit spearhead from space. The rest was filmed on videotape.

Anyway i dont think it was Dr who as the first programme broadcast in colour. Funny thing is in 1970 most households would have only had a B&W set. I dont think colour became "mainstream" for another year or two.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I thought Colour TV's came out in 1967 and seemed to show on BBC2 only.

As for Dr Who in colour, I remember Pertwee's assistant, Katy Manning, was certainly in colour when she did a full 'spread' for a popular mag of the time.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Certainly Jon Pertwees first season was filmed and broadcast in colour. On film no less so the quality really shows thru flr the debit spearhead from space. The rest was filmed on videotape.

Anyway i dont think it was Dr who as the first programme broadcast in colour. Funny thing is in 1970 most households would have only had a B&W set. I dont think colour became "mainstream" for another year or two.

You could be right, as Sony brought out the first video camera in 1971

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Just entered Radio comp and will be on air in 10mins. I think it was Doctor who?

Well, colour TV started with Wimbledon in 1967. Whatever was on at midnight (a New Year show) would have been the first colour TV show. Probably the Andy Stewart show.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here