Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was the first ever coloured BBC programme shown in 1970?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Only BBC2 was in colour in the late 60s, so Six Wives... may have been the first on BBC1.

During the daytime in the late 60s, besides Play School, almost all of BBC2's colour schedule was made up of what were known as "Trade Test Colour Films" that were used by the TV installation guys to get the picture right when they came round to deliver and set up your new 625-line colour set. These were all 20-minute documentary films about things like fishing in the North Sea, or bicycle factories in France, and the like (the same stuff they show on BBC2 today in other words). I was 7 when we got our first colour set in 1969 and my sister and I were absolutely riveted by these films...

And don't forget, those were the days when you really had to anticipate your favourite programme, as most TVs took about 25 minutes to warm up.

A Petula Clark concert at the Albert Hall was one of the first colour programmes transmitted, I think on the opening night of colour TV on BBC2. There had been a few test programmes before but this was definitely one of the first, if not the first, outside broadcast in colour.

And I was there, sitting in the front row of the audience behind the band! Pity they didn´t have video recorders in those days, I could have seen myself with green hair!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Dunno what it was, but it'll probably be repeated over Xmas.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Only BBC2 was in colour in the late 60s, so Six Wives... may have been the first on BBC1.

During the daytime in the late 60s, besides Play School, almost all of BBC2's colour schedule was made up of what were known as "Trade Test Colour Films" that were used by the TV installation guys to get the picture right when they came round to deliver and set up your new 625-line colour set. These were all 20-minute documentary films about things like fishing in the North Sea, or bicycle factories in France, and the like (the same stuff they show on BBC2 today in other words). I was 7 when we got our first colour set in 1969 and my sister and I were absolutely riveted by these films...

And don't forget, those were the days when you really had to anticipate your favourite programme, as most TVs took about 25 minutes to warm up.

Wow that got me thinking.

When I was just a small boy I remember watching an afternoon kind of information film.

It seemed to be a factory and lots of bottles and ending with a really long pipe or guttering, it used to intrigue me.

Does anyone know what that short film/docu might have been, I am guessing about 1970 maybe before ??

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Dunno what it was, but it'll probably be repeated over Xmas.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Thought this typically BBC funny. Whilst looking up the answer I found this
5 July – A quadrasonic (4-channel) radio programme goes out at midnight, using Radio 4 to carry the two front channels and Radio 3 to carry the two rear channels.

Can imagine boffins with a radio in front of them and another behind them:lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here