Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was the 1st professional game of football that you watched live?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Brighton V Birmingham 1968, Football League Cup (we were Third Division they were Second). We won 2-0 and I remember Alan Guiliver scored with a header.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Brighton V Darlington. 1963.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Brighton 2 - 0 Palace April 10th 1987
Wilson/Hughes

Jamon Jamon

Mar 25, 2008
There was a match at The Goldstone c1975 but I didn't pay much attention I was bored actually so I'll never be able to identify said match, Therefore my first ever match is documented as Brighton 5 Mansfield 1 in January 78.

Thanks to my Brother in law, Colin, for taking me.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Torquay United 1, Wednesday 12 April 1967

Brighton: Burns, Henderson, Baxter, Templeman, Gall, Turner, Gould, Collins, Dear, Livesey, Napier (K); sub Wilkinson.

Torquay: Dunn, Bond, Smith, Benson, Wyatt, Curtis, Clarke, Smith, Fryatt, Stubbs, Barnes.

I think Stubbs scored the goal.

D

Deleted User X18H

Peter Grumitts testimonial in 1976 a the Goldstone Alan Mullery played for a laugh.

Last edited:

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
First pro match was, I think, West Ham v Leeds, Good Friday 1970 or 71. The Hammers won 4-2, and players like Martin Peters, Clyde Best, Trevor Brooking, Alan Devonshire and 'Pop' Robson were playing.

First Albion game would have been v Northampton at the Goldstone in the early 70s. Think we won 2-0.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Arsenal v Chelsea at Highbury near the end of the 78/79 season, the final score was 5-2 to Arsenal and this virtually condemned Chelsea to relegation...as you might guess they did not take this gracefully and the events during and after the game nearly put me off football for life...despite having already followed the Albion for 4 or 5 years at that stage it wasn't until 82 that I actually went to the Goldstone to see a game...thank goodness I did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here