Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What they said about El Turi transfer...

Brighton4eva

Jan 18, 2006
Exiled in Portsmouth
Were we not at one stage also linked with Ossie Ardiles and Maradona in a possible Argentian takeover bid. Maybe he is just a spy for them on the inside and he can't really play football at all.

:lolol:

Tooting Gull said:
And the pro-McGhee posse are totally ignoring it, or at best shrugging their shoulders - to their eternal discredit. It's an accountability issue, and we shouldn't just be having DK's 'openness' when it suits him, we should have it on issues like this.
Oh for f***'s sake, what do you want, a Parliamentary commission?

It was a gamble on a transfer that hasn't come off. END OF STORY.

It seems only McGhee isn't allowed one of of those on his record when EVERY manager in the football league makes them and many more!

As I've said before, you want the Pope as our manager, only he is infallible :salute:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:
Oh for f***'s sake, what do you want, a Parliamentary commission?

It was a gamble on a transfer that hasn't come off. END OF STORY.

It seems only McGhee isn't allowed one of of those on his record when EVERY manager in the football league makes them and many more!

As I've said before, you want the Pope as our manager, only he is infallible :salute:

I don't want a parliamentary commission. I want players who are signed for £150,000 of our precious money to a) be good and b) play. Injury is only a small part of the El Turi saga.

Not unreasonable. Nor is trying to chip away just a little bit at the wall of silence on the issue. And for two seasons running we've had strikers signed but who haven't been fancied by the manager. That's very bizarre best practice.

I don't think the Pope has got the right licences, but I'd take him ahead of Leroy Rosenior.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
brightonfan_86 said:
I mean't with the money, of course I rate Frutos, Mcshane, Carole and CKR.

McGhee spent money on two players. CKR and Turienzo. You've just said you rate CKR so by your own admission the only bad signing McGhee made was Turienzo. Does that really warrant the statement:

"Another reason why Magoo should go, his transfers last summer where absolutely terrible."

?

Seems like a bit of an ill thought out, hyperbolic over-reaction to me...

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Les Biehn said:
Really have got to remember that our transfer dealings are gonna be hit and miss because the club is in a position whereby it has to take a punt. If we get a Carole and Frutos for every El Turi, I would be more than happy. And whats to say he won't come good.

I read somewhere over the weekend that two out of every three transfers don't work out. On the basis of the above, we seem to be the exception - with only a one in three failure rate.

E

enigma

Yes McGhee made a mistake with Turienzo, and a fairly big one at that.

But in fairness, given he acquired Frutos and Carole for free, does this not compensate for his mistake? Surely those two are worth more than 150k together, maybe even each, and therefore you can forgive him for making such a mistake?

and who is to say that Turienzo is a mistake.

certainly at the moment he is more teddy maybank than peter ward but look at how long we perservered with players like Lehman, Pinamonte etc before deciding they were crap. At least I want to see him prove he's not good enough on the pitch and not on the bench

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
garry nelsons left foot said:
McGhee spent money on two players. CKR and Turienzo. You've just said you rate CKR so by your own admission the only bad signing McGhee made was Turienzo. Does that really warrant the statement:

"Another reason why Magoo should go, his transfers last summer where absolutely terrible."

?

Seems like a bit of an ill thought out, hyperbolic over-reaction to me...

GHLF meet Kev.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Yorkie said:
That's strange.
I saw him play at Lewes before the deal was signed.
He looked to have a pretty good game to me.

McGhee said "No" on the strength of this game but was then persuaded to watch a video of him in action back in Argentina and the man from Glasgow he say "Och Aye, we'll have him."

Great huh?

beeven

Jan 14, 2006
Iver, Bucks
Storer68 said:
and who is to say that Turienzo is a mistake.

certainly at the moment he is more teddy maybank than peter ward but look at how long we perservered with players like Lehman, Pinamonte etc before deciding they were crap. At least I want to see him prove he's not good enough on the pitch and not on the bench

Agreed! Surely by changing strikers each and every game cannot breed confidence, let alone gaining any consistency.

Of course, even after a decent run in the team, we may still feel the same way, but give the guys a chance.

Probably too little time left in the season now though.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
I thought he actually looked promising at Luton, certainly infinitely better than McCammon - the puzzling thing is his lack of appearances - McGhee seems desperate to bring in a targetman without giving a chance to the one he paid so much for in the summer.

Is he still injured?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Repugnant Toad said:
I thought he actually looked promising at Luton, certainly infinitely better than McCammon - the puzzling thing is his lack of appearances - McGhee seems desperate to bring in a targetman without giving a chance to the one he paid so much for in the summer.

Is he still injured?

Hamstring for the third time this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here