Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What The f***

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Yorkie said:
Who cares about the Carling Cup?

Fair point but a win tonight and an away tie against a prem side in the next round would've done wonders for the coffers (and confidence of the players).

It pisses me off when we keep saying "it doesn't matter" - in isolation and on the surface, maybe it doesn't - but a defeat is a defeat in any terms and it carries undesirable baggage that is best avoided.

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
Shropshire Seagull said:
Fair point but a win tonight and an away tie against a prem side in the next round would've done wonders for the coffers (and confidence of the players).

It pisses me off when we keep saying "it doesn't matter" - in isolation and on the surface, maybe it doesn't - but a defeat is a defeat in any terms and it carries undesirable baggage that is best avoided.

very well said

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:

i agree its annoying we have lost but people should maybe put things into context.

Yes, we should put things in context.

We have conceded three goals to a poor league two team. We conceded two goals in a short space of time, which you say

2 goals very close to each other would suggest we were just being slack though. on a saturday in a competetion that counts with players who are up for the challenge we will hopefully not do such things.

It's a nice idea but lets think back to the Crewe game. We were one up, not in too much trouble, yet we concede two goals in quick succesion that very nearly cost us the game. That's twice in three games that the side have conceded quick goals in succesion. It's cost us two points and progression in a cup competition. A competition which you think doesn't count, but which would potentially have provided us with a money spinning tie against a premier league team in the next round. Which in turn, may well have meant that we don't have to sell two of our better players at the end of the season. And at the very least it would have given a much needed confidence boost as, after 8 games against league opposition(including friendlies) we have only managed ONE win and have shipped TWENTY goals.
This is something that should cause a little concern at least.

How else can we put it in context? Elsewhere you say that it's only one defeat. True. But again, it's a defeat against a team who are supposedly far inferior. What effect that-and the manner of the defeat- has on the teams confidence I couldn't say for sure. But i'm pretty sure it hasn't increased the teams confidence. And yes it's just one defeat. But so was Reading just one defeat. And Hull. That's three defeats in five COMPETITIVE games. Or, in other words, we have lost 60% of the competitve games we've played so far. That again is something of a worry. Put those defeats on the back of a poor pre-season and it becomes even more of a worry.

Now, don't get me wrong. I have faith in McGhee and am confident that eventually he will find the best combinations and formation for the team. But i don't know how long that's going to take. Maybe like last season it'll be sooner rather than later. Or maybe like 2002/3 it'll be later. I'm hoping it's going to be sooner. Also, at least some positives can be taken from last night. McCammon, for one. He appears to finally becoming of some use. Jake scored. Carole sounds to have had a fair game.

But to just write off last night as not important and be flippant about the result is ridiculous. No it's not going to make or break the season, but it does have an effect on it. IT's adding to the short term problems and if the short term problems aren't solved soon, they're going to become longer term problems.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Shropshire Seagull said:

We may not have got a draw away and it actually costs to host an extra game at Withdean.

Did losing to Bristol Rvrs badly affect our season last year?

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
Yorkie said:
We may not have got a draw away and it actually costs to host an extra game at Withdean.

Did losing to Bristol Rvrs badly affect our season last year?

no it didnt ......your getting away from the point.....on the pitch we lost.....and we played badly im sure the club werent happy and saying "well we could of been unlucky and got a home draw anyway so it doesnt matter".......

we havent won and that could of been some sort of boost for the squad.......people who think that it is ok to lose a game because it saves money need their heads screwed on cos winning in cup competitions brings more money.....

And who knows our next round game could of been on sky and £50,000 could of come our way

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
Shropshire Seagull said:

most sensible post amongst all the drivel on this thread.

i thought we were scraping for money? why are we not trying more in the cups its revenue.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
It does matter because a 1st win would have helped moral, however, leasons will be learnt and the team will focus on Preston and plymouth where points should be picked up.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
If think the real worry is since February we have only won ONE game and that was away to Rotherham.

We have been on a wee bit of a slide for a while now and that needs to get sorted. I do agree that it is going to take time for the side to settle due to the churn of players, but we cannot affored to get cut adrift, as was shown in the 2002/03 season it is a bugger trying to claw back a points defecit.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
God february, thats a long time. I remember losing at Stoke and the bad run starting, but the euthoria of Rotherham and Ipswich has clouded my memory and christ that is a bad run.

So 4-5-1 at Preston and hope we do not give a way an early goal:drink:

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
i would be over the moon with a point on sat.......

packing the midfield out with 4-5-1 looks good until we realise we aint got 5 good midifielders

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Yorkie's point is well made. If we are bottom of the table on October 31st, and we get the 'Yes' decision, nobody will give a f*** about our league position, because it will mean the club has a future.

Results like last night will be the norm again, if Falmer is no, so I take Yorkie's point completely. If somebody said to me it's staying up or Falmer, guess what the answer would be!!??

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Seagull73 said:
Yorkie's point is well made. If we are bottom of the table on October 31st, and we get the 'Yes' decision, nobody will give a f*** about our league position, because it will mean the club has a future.

Results like last night will be the norm again, if Falmer is no, so I take Yorkie's point completely. If somebody said to me it's staying up or Falmer, guess what the answer would be!!??

Yeah but it still hurts wen you lose and I want to stay up and get Falmer and reach the cup final

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
If think the real worry is since February we have only won ONE game and that was away to Rotherham.

and our scorer that day was paul mclaren, with an own goal:nono:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Must admit I'm getting a bit worried now, we should have passed them to death last night and picked them off. We really lack any sort of creativity in the team and we can't go through a season winning the odd game 1 nil and getting lucky that there are worse teams than us, done that once and i don't see it happening again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here