Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What sort of crap nickname is...

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I know it's genuine just don't think it very good.

gor blimey guvnor(puts thumbs behind imaginary braces and adopts a dick van dyke/tommy steele pose)whats your favourite piece of ryming slang ? the ones i find funniest are some of the recently made up ones , whilst having a meal recently i was asked if we were having a "get carter" !!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
You really need to get out more !!

Probably. But if you followed football when you were young it give you a good idea of where places are and what they did in different parts of the country. When they had proper nicknames obviously.

I like the fact Warrington (rugby league) are called the Wire. My grandfather worked in the Wire foundries there.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
.."the glaziers"?

What an absolutely shit effort. Probably the shittest nickname EVER. Worse than Reading's "the biscuitmen".

And following on from this, Crystal Palace changing their nickname from the Glaziers to the Eagles was sure the most plastic thing EVER done in football (apart from "AFC Bournemouth" and the whole MK Dons thing obviously). I mean, if you're going to change your admittedly gash nickname, at least change it to something RELEVANT. What relevance is an eagle to the shittest part of suburban Surrey? At least our two nicknames - the Dolphins and then the Seagulls - both reflected our coastal location.

Palace really are a plastic outfit and well worth reminding them of the fact some time next season I think. If they're not in division THREE. :bigwave:

I take it your great-great-great-grandad burnt the place down in 1936. Accidently whilst lighting a sock to keep himself warm.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
gor blimey guvnor(puts thumbs behind imaginary braces and adopts a dick van dyke/tommy steele pose)whats your favourite piece of ryming slang ? the ones i find funniest are some of the recently made up ones , whilst having a meal recently i was asked if we were having a "get carter" !!

:laugh: Not heard that one.
I enjoy the ones that people find harder to work out, like I'm a having a salmon.
Or the double one like "arris".

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
I have a book published in 1960 which gives the following: Colchester Utd, The Oystermen: Leeds Utd, The Peacocks; Leicester City, The Filberts; Watford, The Brewers; WBA The Throstles and indeed Brighton and Hove Albion, The Shrimps. A couple of the odder ones Gateshead, The Laides and Southport, The Sandgrounders.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast

Heard one bit in my childhood, two coalmen came to deliver the stuff to our semi-d, one said to the other "Pass us the Lord Lovell". Who was his Lordship?

Can Lord B enlighten us?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Probably. But if you followed football when you were young it give you a good idea of where places are and what they did in different parts of the country. When they had proper nicknames obviously.

I like the fact Warrington (rugby league) are called the Wire. My grandfather worked in the Wire foundries there.
I think it's "wire" as opposed to "the wire" isn't it?

And that's another subject. It's not The Withdean, it's Withdean. And apparently, it's not "The San Siro", home of "Inter Milan" either. Obviously everyone knows it isn't really "Inter Milan" but the stadium is the Giuseppe Meazza stadium in the district of San Siro, and not The San Siro stadium.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I have a book published in 1960 which gives the following: Colchester Utd, The Oystermen: Leeds Utd, The Peacocks; Leicester City, The Filberts; Watford, The Brewers; WBA The Throstles and indeed Brighton and Hove Albion, The Shrimps. A couple of the odder ones Gateshead, The Laides and Southport, The Sandgrounders.

:lolol::lolol:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Is the CORRECT answer.
Yeah, I wasn't REALLY suggesting that they were called the Irons because they were founded by London's gay community. 'Sake.

Yeah, I do like the way that it re-invents itself and stays fresh. Some of the older ones have fallen into disuse and a lot of it WAS stupid: apples 'n' pears for stairs being an example of both.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
The ones I don't like are the new, manufactured ones i.e. no historical reference.

Sunderland's Black Cats and Ipswich's Tractor Boys have been conjured up by some spotty oik in a marketing department.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The correct nick name for Palarse is the 'Panes' or rather, given the way they play, the 'Pains'.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The ones I don't like are the new, manufactured ones i.e. no historical reference.

Sunderland's Black Cats and Ipswich's Tractor Boys have been conjured up by some spotty oik in a marketing department.

'Tractor Boys' for Ipswich has as much relevance as 'Seagulls' for Brighton. i.e. both done on the back of fans' chants.

Sunderland - named after the Black Cat gun battery which stood on the river Wear. Also references the lucky black cat which led to the team winning the FA Cup. (According to Wikipedia).

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Fulhams = The Cottagers

nothing else needs to be said really..

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010

On the train from Clapham to Watford for the cup game, these Patcham lads on the same carriage as me talked about racking up lines of Sarah Payne. That's so wrong on so many levels.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here