Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What sort of crap nickname is...

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
This thread is a warning to anyone who starts drinking early in the day - you really should seek help.

I love the fact that Walsall are the Saddlers, Luton are the Hatters, and Macclesfield are the Silkmen. This is proper social history.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Desperately trying to keep thread on track.......................Always liked the scottish nicknames. Arbroath are the Red Lichties which you must accept is well random! But at least the Jocko ones have a quaintness about them rather than a boring poor old trade about fitting glass. Thta's not a real profession like a Saddler

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I love those traditional nicknames. I prefer the Glaziers to the eagles any day. Wasn't it related to the original Crystal Palace. I wish we had kept "Deck-chair Attendants".

This. What have eagles got to do with Croydon? Is there a wild one within 200 miles of the place?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
.."the glaziers"?

What an absolutely shit effort. Probably the shittest nickname EVER. Worse than Reading's "the biscuitmen".

And following on from this, Crystal Palace changing their nickname from the Glaziers to the Eagles was sure the most plastic thing EVER done in football (apart from "AFC Bournemouth" and the whole MK Dons thing obviously). I mean, if you're going to change your admittedly gash nickname, at least change it to something RELEVANT. What relevance is an eagle to the shittest part of suburban Surrey? At least our two nicknames - the Dolphins and then the Seagulls - both reflected our coastal location.

Palace really are a plastic outfit and well worth reminding them of the fact some time next season I think. If they're not in division THREE. :bigwave:

Excellent post.

I've always liked Wolves and Terras (WW and Weymouth)

The Glaziers and Biscuitmen are dire names, and I've never understood my Exeter are called the Grecians - although I like it! Ancient sounding.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
What about Chelsea? 'The Pensioners'. Always a source of embarrassment when I was a young Chelsea fan; it came from Chelsea Hospital but that was no consolation. And yes, 'The Glaziers' did come from the fact that the Crystal Palace was made of glass. Still the proper Palace nickname in my book. Also when I was a boy my Dad used to laugh at West Ham being called 'The Irons', but he wouldn't tell me why. "West Ham fans? They're all Irons! he would laugh.

And some (but not all) sources say we were once called 'The Shrimps'

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Desperately trying to keep thread on track.......................Always liked the scottish nicknames.

I used to know all the English ones in my youth - bit like ground names - but rarely ventured north of the border. It looks like it is a rich seam though.

Clyde are The Bully Wee.

Forfar are The Loon.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Desperately trying to keep thread on track.......................Always liked the scottish nicknames. Arbroath are the Red Lichties which you must accept is well random! But at least the Jocko ones have a quaintness about them rather than a boring poor old trade about fitting glass. Thta's not a real profession like a Saddler
Yeah, Aren't Queen of the South the 'Doon Hamers' (down homers)?

Also I would LOVE it if Elgin City's nickname was 'The Marbles'

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
I will enjoy seeing our NEW nickname being used on radio, television and in newspapers; 'The WINNERS'.

Yes, I see this nickname sticking.

until next season, presumably?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Plymouth's nickname is odd - The Pilgrims. They were famous for LEAVING there!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I have always thought The Cherries a twatish nickname. Apparently their ground was built on a cherry tree orchard.
Leading on from that what could OUR nickname be NOW considering our new ground has been built on a university ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here