Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What Ruth Kelly wants to know about Falmer

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Lord Bracknell said:
The local election campaign starts in April, not March.

I suspect Ms Kelly is aware of this.

True, but I am just not so optimistic as you about the timetable after the 28th December. If they then have to go back out for comments on the submissions; knowing how the civil service works I'd be very surprised if they could turn that around and get a draft decision letter for Ruth Kelly to sign before the end of March.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
British Bulldog said:
....it might encourage the railway to upgrade the signalling on the east coast line from brighton to lewes, which would be a benefit to the residents of falmer who are interested in the enviroment!
Interested in the environment????
The residents of Falmer are only interested in the value of their property.

Monkey Man said:
The fact that Ruth Kelly is still inviting comments just seems to take us back several moves. And how come she's only doing it now?
The Planning Rules.

She had to wait for the Order from the High Court quashing the decision - an Order that could have been delivered to her in May, if Lewes District Council had accepted the proposal by the Treasury Solicitor that was essentially identical to the one that was eventually accepted by LDC in late October.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
The Large One said:
It would.

Any new stadium in almost any new location would provide a positive social impact on its immediate environment. But the question in this case is purely hypothetical because Sheepcote falls down on an extremely important issue for which no-one has come up with viable, affordable answer - its poor transport links.

So even then, while there would be positives for Whitehawk, there would also be one major negative - it would become Europe's largest car park.

Why would it? The one ast the Madj Stad is not that big? And that's a long way from the station?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
3gulls said:
Why would it? The one ast the Madj Stad is not that big? And that's a long way from the station?
You're only looking at the headline facts, and not the details. The comparison between Brighton and Reading simply doesn't stand up, and is largely irrelevant.

As Royal Ali used to tell us ad infitum, Reading has a surplus of buses to use to get to the ground via a far easier route. Also, there is far more car parking and much better private road transport links - the M4 is only a few hundred yards away. Reading can be approached from all directions - Brighton can't.

There are simply not enough buses in Brighton to make the journeys to Sheepcote Valley from Brighton Station. To buy and run extra buses (around 60 or so) which would only be used 25 times a year is not cost-effective. The road links are very poor - city centre or residential virtually the whole way. It would gridlock central and eastern Brighton.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Can't be bothered by all 3 pages but after LB's initial post it seems that by asking all these questions Kelly has it in her own mind to launch her own little enquiry,official or not, and thereby rendering all those years of Prescott's painful dithering,and all the costs involved,A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME.

Oh, and i almost forgot,add a couple more years.

:censored:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Brixtaan said:
Can't be bothered by all 3 pages but after LB's initial post it seems that by asking all these questions Kelly has it in her own mind to launch her own little enquiry,official or not, and thereby rendering all those years of Prescott's painful dithering,and all the costs involved,A COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME.

:nono: One of the problems of not bothering to read all three pages is that others who have will get to realise that your analysis is way off the mark.

Last edited:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Brixtaan said:

That really isn't the case. It looks more to me like the issues she has asked for further representations on are those related to LDC's "16 points" (of irrelevance). Remember that this is a procedure that has to happen, and not a deliberate delay on the part of Ruth Kelly's office.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
The Large One said:
:nono: One of the problems of not bothering to read all three pages is that others who have will get to realise that your analysis is way off the mark.

How far though? Which part of that can you honestly say isn't true?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Brixtaan said:
How far though? Which part of that can you honestly say isn't true?

I would say 'all of it'.

I read the original statement as being very positive TBO.

She is asking for information to back up the ratification of the original decision. For example she is not saying 'Tell me all about this other possible site at sheepcote'. She is saying 'With particular reference to this other site at sheepcote, tell me all about the terrible traffic problems that it would involve'.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
mona said:

Interesting point, I would think having the Goldstone retail park where the old ground was has probably kept prices in the row of houses that went along the East terrace much lower than they would have been with a revamped( if we could have got permission) football stadium there?

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I think the bottom line, is that this time we want it watertight. So if Ruth needs to ask these questions for that to happen, then so be it.

At the end of the day, all we want is a yes (again). I think we will get that yes.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Icy Gull said:
Interesting point, I would think having the Goldstone retail park where the old ground was has probably kept prices in the row of houses that went along the East terrace much lower than they would have been with a revamped( if we could have got permission) football stadium there?

I think you might be right. I'm sure there was a report that said those properties next to football grounds actually rose higher.

But its not about Falmer residents property prices, its more to do with theirs and LDC snobbish attitude. If it were a rugby ground or cricket pitch it would have been built years ago.

Jul 14, 2003
BN2
mona said:
Interested in the environment????
...and the Landlord at the Swan was interested in a change of use from a pub to a dwelling. He's been told 'No chance' by the LDC planners.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
The Large One said:
You're only looking at the headline facts, and not the details. The comparison between Brighton and Reading simply doesn't stand up, and is largely irrelevant.

As Royal Ali used to tell us ad infitum, Reading has a surplus of buses to use to get to the ground via a far easier route. Also, there is far more car parking and much better private road transport links - the M4 is only a few hundred yards away. Reading can be approached from all directions - Brighton can't.

There are simply not enough buses in Brighton to make the journeys to Sheepcote Valley from Brighton Station. To buy and run extra buses (around 60 or so) which would only be used 25 times a year is not cost-effective. The road links are very poor - city centre or residential virtually the whole way. It would gridlock central and eastern Brighton.

I really cannot see that securing enough busses can be an issue. There were bloody hundreds of them at Cardiff from Sussex!

How many busses are used in rural areas for school busses every day?

Whilst i am so pissed-off with Withdean i would be happy tp get a ground anywhere, i cannot help thinking that the main reason that the Board wants Falmer is because of cheap funding/partners and not because it's the best site.

Perhaps a real 21st century football complex could be build at Sheepcoat instead of a relatively small ground that would never take Premiership football at Falmer.

As a thought; how many people go to the Racecourse at a time? It always used to be heaving when i was a kid.

If all else fails, they could always extend the Volks Railway! :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here